Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Forged x (Motordyne + Berk) = Sweet Baby Jesus

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 08:24 AM
abarclay

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Forged x (Motordyne + Berk) = Sweet Baby Jesus

Hi all, well just yesterday I had a few parts installed on my '06 Rev-up at Forged Performance and then got a tune to go along with them. The list is as follows: 5/16 Iso Copper Spacer, MREV2, Berk HFCs, Duel Gamma Exhaust(w/4.5 in. tips ) and FP's Short Shift CNC Machined Custom Shift ****. And after reading tons of threads I decided to just stick with my K&N drop-in, which I've had on my car for a little while.

Let me go ahead and give my acceptance speech before we get to the good stuff, or you can just skip down to the pics and see the results. First off I would like to thank Tony and everyone at Motordyne. The quality of their parts is out of this world and their customer service is just as impressive. Everything I received from them was top notch. The welds, the design, the tips, and the sound are all beautiful and just what I was looking for. I think someone else said that once the exhaust was installed on their car, they didn't want to put the car on the ground because they didn't want the parts to scuffed up or dirty. I would definitely agree!

Next is Sharif, Sandy, Chris and everyone at Forged Performance (including Caesar). Everyone was more than willing to answer my questions on the phone and while I was in the shop. Chris did a great job installing everything and putting up with me snooping around while he was working on my car. Sandy made sure I was comfortable while I was waiting and even found some time to talk cars with me when she wasn't answering the phones, which were ringing pretty consistently. And last but certainly not least, I want to thank the man, Sharif. Even though this wasn't really a big project, he took his time with my car and treated me like an important customer. Without his tune, my car would definitely have been running lean at times and I wouldn't have been able to use all the parts to the fullest of their potential. I also need to a give a nod to Berk. The cats fit great with the rest of the exhaust and make me smile whenever I'm WOT.

Okay...onto the performance/sound. I wasn't looking for ridiculous gains, just something that can keep me content until I've got the chedder-bling for a TT. I feel safe saying that there is a big power difference in my mid-to-high RPM range. Whereas before the parts where installed, it felt like the power tapered off at the top of the range, now the torque is much more consistent throughout the entire RPM range, and much more present above 4500 RPMs. Sharif said he was really surprised by the results considering I don't have a CAI or headers. The car really just wants to keep pulling up to redline, and maybe now I can hang with a few HR's On a side note, if I can tell this big of a difference with only minimal bolt-on parts, I can only imagine what a TT'd or SC'd Z feels like.

The sound to me is perfect. I DD my Z and didn't want something raspy or "I can hear him coming, he's probably 15 minutes away now" loud; and that's why I went with HFCs instead of TPs. Trust me, my car is a lot louder than stock now, but doesn't sound obnoxious. Sharif even said he was really impressed by the sound. When I'm cruising at 2K, the exhaust is a bit louder than stock; and anywhere above 2500 it really comes alive. The only thing I've noticed is that if I'm in too high of a gear, or lightly accelerating around 2000-2500, the exhaust note has a very loud bass tone to it (would it be safe to say that most aftermarket exhaust with HFCs or TPs exhibit this?). I remember theOtherRob said his Shockwave quieted down a little bit after a few weeks of driving, and I'm guessing mine might do the same, but right now I love the sound. If you're looking for a loud and very strong sounding exhaust, I have no doubt that the Shockwave Duel is for you, but if you're looking for something a little bit more DD friendly with zero rasp, I would highly recommend the Gamma or VQ version.

I hope this review was helpful. Below are my dyno/tune results and a few pics. My first run was done with everything installed. Give me a week and I'll try to post a vid. I also have a few more pics in my photo gallery. Thanks for reading and PM me if you've got any questions.
Attached Thumbnails Forged x (Motordyne + Berk) = Sweet Baby Jesus-img002.jpg   Forged x (Motordyne + Berk) = Sweet Baby Jesus-img003.jpg   Forged x (Motordyne + Berk) = Sweet Baby Jesus-dsc_0039.jpg   Forged x (Motordyne + Berk) = Sweet Baby Jesus-img_0072.jpg   Forged x (Motordyne + Berk) = Sweet Baby Jesus-img_0073.jpg  

Last edited by abarclay; 10-04-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:38 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

5 post in 2 years lol wow. Post vid of WOT please. Don't b like most members who put the camera behind the car and rev or drive at 35% throttle.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:43 AM
EL Matador

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats. That Exhaust Looks Great! That will be on my X-Mas list this year haha!! +1 for the Vid would love to hear the sound. Enjoy!
Old 10-03-2009, 10:46 AM
abarclay

Thx! I'll def post a vid next weekend. I've already got an idea of where I want to do it. I guess I'm more of a reader than writer
Old 10-03-2009, 11:01 AM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great, congrats! Do you have any pictures from further away to show the size of the tips better?
Old 10-03-2009, 11:18 AM
350zfan1

Un-resonated slap yo momma in the face loud exhaust > quiet exhaust

Again i LUV loud cars , car should have came alot louder from factory imo.

Glad your happy OP.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:52 AM
abarclay

Sure thing Rob, are you thinking about getting the 4.5 tips? I'd be willing to bet that the Duel Shockwave with straight pipe and non-res TPs would be pretty much punch yo momma in the ovaries loud
Attached Thumbnails Forged x (Motordyne + Berk) = Sweet Baby Jesus-img_0991.jpg   Forged x (Motordyne + Berk) = Sweet Baby Jesus-img_0992.jpg   Forged x (Motordyne + Berk) = Sweet Baby Jesus-img_0993.jpg   Forged x (Motordyne + Berk) = Sweet Baby Jesus-img_0990.jpg  

Last edited by abarclay; 10-03-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:16 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Not the shockwave , you just have the dual gamma exhaust. Looks great, you just can't beat the quality and performance of Tony's products.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:47 PM
abarclay

Corrected, thx terrasmak
Old 10-03-2009, 02:26 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

unless u like get pulled over loud and cant hear ur radio or cell phone ring loud then def dont go straight pipe esp with tps
Old 10-03-2009, 05:31 PM
chefz

The exhaust looks sweet!. I have the same exhaust waiting to be installed in two weeks from now!.. I went with the 4.5 polished tips instead of the blue burnt. I have been reading alot about it and cant wait for the install. I want the berks hfc also but wanna see how it sounds with the stock cats first. I have the injen cai sp1987 intakes also that will be installed same day. Do you notice any drone at all? And how loud is it in the cabin compared to the stock would you say abarcaly? I know rob and his car sounds amazing! but a bit to loud for me.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:43 PM
abarclay

Thx! I'd be interested to hear how it sounds without the HFCs. It is a good bit louder in the cabin compared to the stock exhaust, but it really depends on your RPMs. Anything below 2K RPMs, and its a little louder than stock, but nothing really bad and I would definitely say zero drone. I can carry on a conversation with the gf or listen to music without having to blast it. I do get a very loud bass tone when I'm slowly accelerating from 2000-2500 RPMs, but I can avoid it by speeding up quickly I think that is a trade off I'll just have to take, you have to sacrifice some comfort if you want better performance. Anything above 2500 RPMs sounds like a louder/stronger VQ. I'll have vids by the end of this next week.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:57 PM
ppwpz33

How much did the cat back system run you? Doesn't this run into the xyz pipe from the cats then dual outwards?
Old 10-03-2009, 09:54 PM
chefz

Originally Posted by ppwpz33
How much did the cat back system run you? Doesn't this run into the xyz pipe from the cats then dual outwards?
Pm hydrazine(tony) for pricing! Hey abarcaly i read a few post saying that the rear tips sometimes for some people didnt line up and requires a half inch spacer or something to fix that tony has from motordyne. Did u have this problem that u are aware of by any chance? I will be doing a stock run also then one with intakes(stock exhaust) then a final pull with the injens and the gamma to see the differences!

To try an answer your question the xyz pipe connects to the cats then to the single muffler under the car to straight pipes with ss canisters(gamma). Shockwave is the same without the ss canisters. The canisters are mufflers for a different sound freqency. No difference in power gained shockwave to gamma just sound!
Old 10-04-2009, 04:04 PM
67ZNISMO

very sick! Do you have any video clips?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Wu-Watt

Very cool.. I'm going to have my 06'Rev-up Osiris tuned in the spring.. I have a few other goodies headers, pulley's, flywheel, grounding kit, 94 octane.. Maybe a new set of Denso plugs.. I'm hoping to get in the high 290's whp..
Old 10-05-2009, 05:23 PM
abarclay

Thx the complements everyone! No chefz, my tips lined up just fine, but it sounds like Tony is helping those people out who are having a problem with them. I'd say right now the my exhaust has quieted own just a hair. A little update, I ordered the straight pipe today to replace the resonator after the xyz pipe. I'd like to see if that might change the sound I'm getting between 2000-2500 RPMs to something a bit brighter instead of warmer. Vids will be coming on Saturday
Old 10-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Also pls post pics of the exhaust from a normal view/side view/low view about 6-12 ft away.. Thanks