Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

K&N Typhoon Needs more R&D......

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Chomorro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Typhoon Needs more R&D......

I installed my typhoon kit today and replaced my speed force racing intake. Only reason was I wanted to be smog legal because the cops are cracking down in my area.

Anyways i was kind of pissed with the design of the intake tube. Simple changes would make this thing so much better..... Anyone else think for this much money it should be designed better??

Pic installed

1. The maf sensor plug is stretched out to the max.... I could fix it by adding wire to it but then is it really a bolt on kit?? Moving it closer to the filter would make it fit much better.

2. The stock hose is not long enough to reach the pipe nipple. Using the stock hose clamp i tried repeatedly putting connecting the hose to it, but as soon as you try and pull it forward slightly to fit into the pipe to throttle body coupler it pops off. I had to go to autozone and buy a bolt clamp to keep the hose on but because of the ridiculous angle i split the hose end and its barely on.....Simple fix would be moving it closer to the throttle body, or at least making it more of an angle pointing towards the back instead to almost straight down.

If it was ebay intake I would expect it but for this price I was not impressed. My SFR intake fit perfect and installed and removed in minutes with out any stretching of wires or hoses.

End Rant.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is crappy.. I like that CF plate though..
Old 10-10-2009, 04:27 PM
s31t8n8

I have the Typhoon and I agree, they need to put the MAF sensor port on the other side of the tube.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:40 PM
shiftdrift06

I had a typhoon intake system, and i really liked it.. Mines was blue and it match my car perfectly. It was decently priced considering it does come with an air dam and semi carbon fiber box.
Hell its even carb legal..

As for the MAF, i do agree i wish it could be longer, but I had mines for about a year after I took it off, and the wiring and connector was fine. So it is no issue.

As for the breather hose, mines fitted fine, no stretching or anything. Are you sure your intake pipe is pushed all the way in where it meets the throttle body?
Old 10-10-2009, 05:37 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The wire for the MAF sensor is tight. Under the plastic plenum cover are several ties. Clip those.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Chomorro

Awww ok I didnt even look under the plenum cover since it wasnt in the instructions LOL. I will check that out when i install the ground kit.

Yea its all the way as far as it can go on there, actually no its not i remember i had to back it out half an inch so the plenum bolt could be bolted in. But its like 2-3 inches to far for the hose.....

So no one has snapped off maf sensor wiring with WOT runs. Thats at least good to know

EDIT: I just realized I had a plenum spacer installed while ago, that could be my issue DOH. Im sure the added height to the plenum probably took away the minimal slack on the maf sensor wiring and is causing the hose not to fit properly.....

Last edited by Chomorro; 10-11-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Jeff92se

Received 1,078 Likes on 970 Posts

Unique cover but since it doesn't shield from the engine bay, it looks like it does nothing to keep heat from the filter.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Chomorro

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Unique cover but since it doesn't shield from the engine bay, it looks like it does nothing to keep heat from the filter.
Actually that piece is the cover to a whole enclosed box that is not pictured. Not sure if it helps with heat but its definitely a full metal box that the filter is in.