Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Final verdict on Nismo exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 09:10 PM
cababah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Final verdict on Nismo exhaust?

Okay, let me lay out some groundwork here I have been searching and searching and got some VERY inconsistent data. I have a stock 05 Z and am planning on replacing the oem (rusted) exhaust with a Nismo catback in a few days which claims like a 6HP gain and 3.5 lb-ft gain.

I hear some people say you lose HP/TQ when getting an exhaust or is that only a TD system on a stock set up?

I figured since it is a Nissan performance part, it must at least produce some benefits.

Also what is the deal with the ECU reset thing? I searched on this one as well and found conflicting views where some people say a catback doesn't need a reset because it connects after the o2 sensors/catalytic converters (makes sense to me) then other people say to do a ECU reset so your car can adapt better to the mods...bottom line is I want to know...

a) Will this exhaust on a stock car improve performance overall (even if by a tiny amount)
b) Do I need to do an ecu rest for this?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:27 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a secret new guy: intake and exhaust mods will alter torque and horsepower curves. Sometimes better. Sometimes not. This is why many members do a tune “after” mods. Tune the Z to get the most from their mods.

Resetting the ECU has become the my350Z.com do-all fix-all miracle technique. It is not. The ECU is one smart and complicated computer. Read about ECU. Its function, operation and what it can and can not do.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:41 PM
cababah

an ecu tune for a catback?.....seriously?
Old 12-16-2009, 10:15 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

How about choose exhaust based on ur preference with sound and look before hp since the margin is so small
Old 12-16-2009, 10:40 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

buying exhaust for performance is stupid unless you have all the supporting mods which include a retune...

people who just want exhaust and intake on their car know they aren't getting anything out of it
Old 12-17-2009, 05:19 AM
cababah

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
How about choose exhaust based on ur preference with sound and look before hp since the margin is so small
Hence why I am going with Nismo...I figure it is the closest thing to a SS version of the stock exhaust.
Originally Posted by dikspiel
buying exhaust for performance is stupid unless you have all the supporting mods which include a retune...

people who just want exhaust and intake on their car know they aren't getting anything out of it
Once again, I am not buying this for performance gain, I just don't want to lose performance because of it...if this exhaust is going to reduce some of my power, I would rather not get it. If the power and torque stay the same, cool. I am sort of leaning towards just getting a used stock exhaust in good condition.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:54 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

if you are worried about losing hp then just buy stock exhaust for $50-100 kthnx
Old 12-17-2009, 06:44 AM
cababah

So this is what I gather...

The Nismo exhaust might cause me to GAIN or LOSE some power? There is no definitive dyno chart of a stock Z vs a Z with the Nismo exhaust?

I think I might just get a stock rear muffler section then..if anyone is selling one in good condition in the Los Angeles area, PM me.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:49 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just buy the god damn thing bro, you will be fine and lose no HP, nor gain hardly any as well.

It is as close to the stock setup as you can get, with just alittle better flowing system than stock.

Still uses stock setup style y pipe, midpipe, and single muffler with dual exits. Simple.

Dont over think this dude.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:56 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

if you are going for power and nothing else then buy the motordyne shockwave exhaust.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:38 PM
mD2MHK

Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ
Just buy the god damn thing bro, you will be fine and lose no HP, nor gain hardly any as well.

It is as close to the stock setup as you can get, with just alittle better flowing system than stock.

Still uses stock setup style y pipe, midpipe, and single muffler with dual exits. Simple.

+1
Old 12-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Globalscan

Nismo has a great sound, louder but not over the top like some. In the rare case you lose 1 or 2 horsepower you will never feel it. Odds are it will be a good stepping stone to other mods that will give you more power from your exhaust.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:02 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

hence why did u make this pointless thread then?
Old 12-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Z You Later

well to straighten some things out for the OP since there hasn't been a definite answer for you:

the nismo exhaust isn't a "tiny" bit better than the stock, it's much better...here are some things about it that most over-look:

A. the nismo Y-Pipe should be switched over to an upgraded one for longevity of your cats/Test Pipes/HFC since it's been shown that the nismo y-pipe tends to crack these over a period of time, will it happen, maybe not but it does happen. so switching it over to say the AAM y-pipe is a better option for you.

B. the Nismo is a 3" exhaust (which most forget and think it's only 2.5") and has been dyno proven to gain the same as all the others, +/- 1-2whp.

C. if you plan on removing your cats and getting test pipes the nismo is one of the only exhausts that sounds good with the typical rasp made for the down pipes, most will agree on this.

don't just get the nismo muffler with the stock mid pipe and y-pipe since these are really restrictive...so if the nismo is what you want just buy the complete system and consider getting a better performing y-pipe.

now it hasn't been dyno proven but most agree upon that if you get a 3" TD like the APS system, you may not have enough back pressure with no other supporting mods and tune, so take this into effect.

if you plan on only getting exhaust and maybe intake then it really won't matter what exhaust system you get since you won't feel the power gain in the seat so go with what sounds the best to you. just remember that you get what you pay for so if you get a cheap ebay exhaust expect to get poor welds and overall quality and possibly run into issues later down the road.

hope this helps you out OP and enjoy the Z

Last edited by Z You Later; 12-17-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:30 PM
RAYZ33

The Nismo S-tune exhaust uses the same design as the stock exhaust, just with bigger piping. ie. the y-pipe outlet and mid-pipe being 3" vs the stocks 60mm (2.36"). Thus resulting in a more free-flowing exhaust in the higher rev range (5000-redline) but losing TORQUE (about 3-5 ft-lbs) in the lower rev band (around 2000-3000rpm).

So in conclusion you'll have to decide if the few extra ponies up top is worth it to compomise losing a tiny bit of torque down low. But i doubt you'd be able to feel either from a butt dyno.

And you dont need to reset the ECU
Old 12-17-2009, 02:41 PM
cababah

Even in this thread..some people say you gain a little some people say you lose a little ^^

Any proof of either?
Old 12-17-2009, 02:46 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ

just in case u missed it. This man speaks the truth. Please CLOSE THIS THREAD
Old 12-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Slyde77

Dude you will never feel the gain or loss of hp and tq with just exhaust. But what you will gain is that sweet Nismo exhaust note when you get on it JUST GET IT.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:05 PM
RAYZ33

I said the Nismo exhaust gains horsepower but loses torque over stock due to pipe diameters! Do you not understand the difference between the both? ^^

If you must insist on "proof" then pm Tony@Motordyne and maybe he wouldnt mind explaining to you how an exhaust system works, as he has spent countless amounts of time researching air-flow characteristics.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:39 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ur not gonna lose any power or torque, lol, just buy the damn nismo exhaust, it sounds great, also go buy high flows and liven it up a little more and free up some more power

Quick Reply: Final verdict on Nismo exhaust?