Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

XERD headers review!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 07:52 PM
Z PHAT Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XERD headers review!

Hello guys
I just finished installing the XERD headers. It was a nitemare to install them. Anyway, here is what I think of it. This is my first time ever doing a review, so bare with me.
i have AEM cai + Borla Dual with these headers it sounds amazing. It makes the nice grumble sound of the Borla more crisp. It sounded like less bass now . I definitely felt the power kicked in at about 4000 RPM til redline. The only thing I didn't like about it is that the raspi sound right at about 3500 RPM. I guess this what those guys with the test pipes describing. Without that raspi sound, this would sound perfect to me. It makes the Borla exhaust sound louder now, but not like fart can loud. This is the first car that I had the cats removed.
It sounds like stock when cruising on the highway at about 65 to 75 MPH. I didn't smell anything when I'm in the car. But my bother who drove behind me said it's smell . Anyway, over all I love it( beside the raspi sound ). This coming Tuesday I will on a dyno and will post the result. I will try to get some sound clips with my laptop.

Patrick
Old 10-19-2003, 08:35 PM
Carlitos

Good review,

I could only say the same about my XERD headers, nightmare to install but great results.
My set up is with Stillen exh + Injen CAI and yes it does have the raspiness at 3500rpm.
Cant wait to dyno it, my last dyno was 249rwhp I hope for 265 now.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:31 AM
G35S6MT

Default Dyno Please

Tuesday has come and gone, I would love to see your dyno chart with these, senor.

Sean
Old 10-22-2003, 09:57 AM
Z PHAT Z

G35S6MT
Thing doesn't go, because I found a leak at the Borla H pipes. I re-schedule the dyno to Thursday.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:26 AM
mytalon

Originally posted by Carlitos
Good review,

I could only say the same about my XERD headers, nightmare to install but great results.
I couldn't agree more. I hate the raspiness though. I was thinking about having some bracket welded to the headers to attach the stock cat brace to the headers. Thinking that with the extra support it will stop the vibration and eliminate the raspiness.

Has anybody tried such a thing? I would really like to eliminte the rasp, then it would sound perfect.

The top end is night and day with these headers, love that.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:34 AM
mytalon

Originally posted by Carlitos
Good review,

I couldn't agree more. I hate the raspiness though. I was thinking about having some bracket welded to the headers to attach the stock cat brace to the headers. Thinking that with the extra support will stop the raspiness.

Has anybody tried such a thing? I would really like to eliminte the rasp, then it would sound perfect.

Old 10-23-2003, 02:09 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by mytalon
I couldn't agree more. I hate the raspiness though. I was thinking about having some bracket welded to the headers to attach the stock cat brace to the headers. Thinking that with the extra support it will stop the vibration and eliminate the raspiness.

The raspiness is not the pipes vibrating. It is the sound of the exhaust pulsing through the system. It's the muffler that is really causing the sound. It is not sound tuned for the additional sound waves the car now has without the cats.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:53 PM
Z PHAT Z

Mr. Potato Head
Got ya! Do you have any idea of how to modify the muffler so that the sound goes away? I'm thinking of getting a pair of hi-flow cats and stick them in there. Can't stand this noise when accelerating and decelerating. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:08 PM
FLY BY Z

I think I would try a different muffler. A Magnaflow in place of the Borla muffler. I think the Borla must have baffles (like a Flowmaster) while the Magnaflow is a straight through/packed design. There is nothing for the sound to resonate/bounce. My exhaust is too straight through right now. I am getting the XERD's pretty soon and am going to install a Magnaflow muffler (it has an X-pipe inside) in the crossflow position like stock. They make a dual in dual out design that will be perfect. Here is the link to what I have now except that I have my cats in right now to make it quieter.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=44249

With only the resonators and no muffler it was nasty loud. After I put the muffler in it should be ok when I get the XERDs with no cats.