Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

HR headers De Headers ? Interchangable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 01:38 AM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another thing you can try is to ask Nissan to see the exhaust gaskets for both.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:28 AM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I'm getting headers installed probably later this week at Failsafe Performance. I'll ask the Chris (who own's an HR 350Z that he's in the process of installing a sweet single turbo kit on) if his old headers are laying around and if they would fit. If he does, I should be able to get some sort of direct comparison.

Why is it, again, that you want to know this?

Last edited by onagao; 01-24-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Swimminggerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gabe3d
Another thing you can try is to ask Nissan to see the exhaust gaskets for both.
Another good idea. Thanks

Originally Posted by onagao
Well, I'm getting headers installed probably later this week at Failsafe Performance. I'll ask the Chris (who own's an HR 350Z that he's in the process of installing a sweet single turbo kit on) if his old headers are laying around and if they would fit. If he does, I should be able to get some sort of direct comparison.

Why is it, again, that you want to know this?
I am interested in the Tomei expreme headers for my Z and would rather have those than the stillens. I was considering the SG longtubes, have been forever. However thinking i might just want shorties with cats/tp's encase i need echeck done. easier to swap cats than entire header. Plus it would be great for all of us to know to interchange DE or HR headers.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:04 AM
o2sys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HR = headers
DE = manifolds

This thread needs some comparo pix:

DE top; HR bottom

HR installed (not sure if its on DE or HR)

IIRC they do fit w/o further modification. I read couple threads here and on driver that it has been done. You do need HR cats or t/p to match the HR headers though.

Gains? I'm sure there is some to be found, but is all up too you.

Last edited by o2sys; 01-26-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:15 AM
onagao

Hooray for the best answer!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Swimminggerman

yay. Thanks so much. From what I see the only difference is the center flange holes being opposite of each other per DE/HR. however the DE's have one , possibly two holes in the exact location where the HR would mate up to the block. I will assume that Nissan did not make insignificant millimeter changes when drilling the holes in the flanges to the block so that they will mate up properly.
Now the question is, if for example in the header installation of the HR as noted above titled HR installed (not sure if its on DE or HR) Where there are only 4 bolts instead of 6. Is this safe? or acceptable? Will there be enough torque on the nuts to hold the entire flange to gasket to block without any leek or issues? Would it get to warm(hot) and possibly have a minute slight warp? Is there a negative outcome possibility with only 4 of the 6 bolts being used? Thank you so much, It has been 3 years since Ive questioned this possibility of interchanging a DE HR manifold/header setup.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:41 AM
o2sys

If the headers require 6 bolts and you are asking if only 4 would do, then no... it will eventually cause a exhaust leak through the gaskets...

try to find a header install page, it might be that the two outer holes use a nut and the middle uses a bolt.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Swimminggerman

Yes I had assumed there would be a leak through the gasket. Also looking at the block where the HR header was installed there are extra holes where other headers might bolt up to. If you look at the tomei gaskets that have 4 holes per cylinder exhaust it appears as if they would match up to each of those wholes perfectly. (speculation without actual measurement) however what else would they be there for. Possibly not drilled out or ready to receive a bolt though? So I question if I could bolt up tomei expreme headers with the bolt holes on the top of the flange going back, back, forward. where as the HR headers go back,forward, forward. Just look at my amazing artistic skills in the photo. Hopefully youll understand. Then compare to the HR Header
Attached Thumbnails HR headers De Headers ? Interchangable?-tomei-expreme.jpg  

Last edited by Swimminggerman; 01-26-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:29 PM
UpstateNismo

Possibly not drilled out or ready to receive a bolt though
Exactly what i was thinking.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Swimminggerman

Here is another assumption. The photos above. Why would the individual taking the photos lay a DE next to an HR. Unless they were doing a cheap upgrade by using the HR headers instead of DE's. That would also explain the motor being out of the engine bay. However I do not understand why they would pull the motor and possibly do a build only to put on some HR headers? Albeit an positive upgrade non the less. What are your thoughts? Also would it be possible to easily drill or thread the center holes where the manifold mates up with the gasket? Or do you think/know that it is already drilled/threaded and I would just need two bolts?
Old 01-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by o2sys
If the headers require 6 bolts and you are asking if only 4 would do, then no... it will eventually cause a exhaust leak through the gaskets...

try to find a header install page, it might be that the two outer holes use a nut and the middle uses a bolt.
You can swap those middle two studs around to fit HR manifolds.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Swimminggerman

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
You can swap those middle two studs around to fit HR manifolds.
(non sarcastially)
??Really? has it been done or you have done it? That would be great and easy fix news for us. Figured that it should be easily acomplished just not sure if true. Would not want to purchase de headers and try to mate up to HR motor without success. A lot of time for a poor little teacher like me.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Yes, the GTM manifolds for the twin turbo kit require you to relocate some of the studs.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:11 PM
o2sys

There you go, do it man! post results
Old 01-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Swimminggerman

sweet. thank you
Old 01-28-2010, 01:33 PM
o2sys

Originally Posted by Swimminggerman
sweet. thank you
i may consider this as well; the only thing is, its hard to come by used set of HR headers...i would do this mod as my last thing on my to do list thought
Old 01-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Swimminggerman

Originally Posted by o2sys
i may consider this as well; the only thing is, its hard to come by used set of HR headers...i would do this mod as my last thing on my to do list thought
Hmm? yeah not to many HR's swapping out for new headers. Ill prob sell mine as I wont want extra parts and would like extra money. What would be the going rate on these used HR headers?
Old 01-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Swimminggerman

any one know where i can get some Tomei expreme headers?
Old 01-28-2010, 09:18 PM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought mine from Ravspec a few months, but I am going to sell them very soon. Z1auto also sells them for a pretty good price. I think he can do something for you if you also buy the TPs.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:39 AM
T_K

Originally Posted by gabe3d
I bought mine from Ravspec a few months, but I am going to sell them very soon. Z1auto also sells them for a pretty good price. I think he can do something for you if you also buy the TPs.
Listed price for that combo is $1329. I can't speak for any deals that may be offered, but at $1329, it's getting awfully close to a set of long tubes.

Quick Reply: HR headers De Headers ? Interchangable?