Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

HR headers De Headers ? Interchangable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Swimminggerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HR headers De Headers ? Interchangable?

Answers first please and then flame on.

I knows its been discussed, however new information is always coming up. Ive heard/read that you can not use DE/Revup headers on HR's and vice versa. Now ive heard from one source (only one person thats why im asking you all) that you can use either or as long as the flanges from headers to cats/pipes match up. I know the flanges are different from the headers to cats on de's and HR's however how about to the motor? Can they be bolted up? can some one please give a difinitive answer. Perhaps if youve seen in first hand or done it. ive searched and did not find much, except from my searches several months ago. Go ahead say as you please as long as I get some answers PLEASE. Thank you all for your assistance.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Swimminggerman

**PING** goes the pin that dropped... Some one please!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 03:16 AM
halfass872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no answer to your question. But i'm gonna speculate the reason no one has answered is because the gains, if any, are so insignificant between the two that the effort needed to get to/exchange the exhaust manifolds isn't worth it. There's a reason almost no one has aftermarket headers. So if you are getting nearly zero gains from an aftermarket header, i'd imagine you'd get even less between the DE and HR engines. I'm inclined to say that they are probably the same on the inside.

Last edited by halfass872; 01-11-2010 at 03:19 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:30 AM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by halfass872
I have no answer to your question. But i'm gonna speculate the reason no one has answered is because the gains, if any, are so insignificant between the two that the effort needed to get to/exchange the exhaust manifolds isn't worth it. There's a reason almost no one has aftermarket headers. So if you are getting nearly zero gains from an aftermarket header, i'd imagine you'd get even less between the DE and HR engines. I'm inclined to say that they are probably the same on the inside.
I'm assuming you mean that aftermarket headers designed for the DE are probably the same on the inside as the HR aftermarket headers? Because stock v. stock, they are worlds apart.

It's not true that almost nobody has aftermarket headers. I don't know where you're getting that. But the reason a lot of people might not want to get headers is the cost v. gain. They can provide significant gains, as numerous tests have shown, but they are an absolute b*tch to install. (w/ something around a $300-400 installation fee)

Last edited by onagao; 01-11-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:00 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by onagao
I'm assuming you mean that aftermarket headers designed for the DE are probably the same on the inside as the HR aftermarket headers? Because stock v. stock, they are worlds apart.

It's not true that almost nobody has aftermarket headers. I don't know where you're getting that. But the reason a lot of people might not want to get headers is the cost v. gain. They can provide significant gains, as numerous tests have shown, but they are an absolute b*tch to install. (w/ something around a $300-400 installation fee)
Yes, i was refering to cost vs gain.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:27 AM
onagao

Yes, i was refering to cost vs gain.
Okay, cool.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:22 AM
halfass872

Okay, cool.
Just to clarify, I still feel that on a bolt on car (No tune, just typical "bolt on owner" with an intake and catback), the addition of aftermarket headers won't make any significant gains. And lets be honest here, there are more owners then not that are like this.

And i think, even with a tune, as stated before $->HP gain is great.

Last edited by halfass872; 01-11-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just to clarify, I still feel that on a bolt on car (No tune, just typical "bolt on owner" with an intake and catback), the addition of aftermarket headers won't make any significant gains. And lets be honest here, there are more owners then not that are like this.

And i think, even with a tune, as stated before $->HP gain is great.
correction, it wont make significant gains at peak horsepower but a good set of headers even without tune, you'll gain anywhere from 8 to 15whp at mid range from the dyno's ive seen. with a tune you can get about that at the upper end as well.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by Nexx
correction, it wont make significant gains at peak horsepower but a good set of headers even without tune, you'll gain anywhere from 8 to 15whp at mid range from the dyno's ive seen. with a tune you can get about that at the upper end as well.
I stand corrected!
Old 01-11-2010, 11:34 AM
onagao

Yeah, I was going to point in this direction.

One of the reasons I'm going to finish my bolt-ons with Stillen headers. I do agree, though, that it's a bad idea without a tune. Our stock ECUs have a tendency to react very badly to certain mods.

On the OP's original question, though. I'm pretty darn sure the HR headers are incompatible with DEs in terms of fitment and other factors. I don't have firsthand experience with this, but I do remember reading something fairly official that declared that.

Last edited by onagao; 01-11-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Swimminggerman

Ok sooooo. I plan on getting a tune, HFC or TP's. Much more than this too down the road. looking for a slight or full NA build. Im not concerned with cost vs gain. As long as their is gain, which should be with tune. So Headers, Interchangable???? yes or no? Any takers?
Old 01-12-2010, 02:54 PM
dmroberson

My vote is No... Not interchangeable.

I have had Strup headers in for about a week now, and am planning on getting a tune, sometime in the near future. Just thought I'd throw that out there...

Last edited by dmroberson; 01-12-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:39 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by Swimminggerman
....Im not concerned with cost vs gain. As long as their is gain....
You should get a Stillen SC then!!
Old 01-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Swimminggerman

You should get a Stillen SC then!!
You have DE motor with one intake, I've got HR with two. Last time I checked (correct me if wrong) Novidem was the only one who made a dual supercharger for the HR's ? I think there might be a single supercharger split into two intakes. Stage 4 ehh? Why not 5 or 6. Hell push it to the max and take it to warp 10.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Z04

Originally Posted by Swimminggerman
I've got HR with two.
then you already got headers. the HR engine came with headers where the DE did not. why take off perfectly good headers to put on aftermarket ones that will not give you any gains at all?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Swimminggerman

Originally Posted by Z04
then you already got headers. the HR engine came with headers where the DE did not. why take off perfectly good headers to put on aftermarket ones that will not give you any gains at all?

So DE's run straight to atmoshpere, no wonder you all cant make power, under hood temps must be REDICULOUS.

I know they are ok from factory, but there is always room for improvement. You car was hot fast and fun from factory just as well, but youve done something to it. I am eventually planning down the road for a full NA build, motor heads and all. But right now cheaply I can do headers plus cats/tp or long tubes and a tune to hold me over till I can afford the build. PLEASE some one tell me if theyve done it and used the older TP or cats.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:48 PM
onagao

Give Stillen a call. They have some pretty good customer service with knowledgeable reps. They also have headers for sale for both the DE Z's and the HR Z's, and they distinguish between them. If you ask them if they are compatible, I'm sure they'll tell you. My guess is no, but they should be able to tell you specifically why one way or the other.

Stillen's number: 866 250 5542
Old 01-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Swimminggerman

Give Stillen a call. They have some pretty good customer service with knowledgeable reps. They also have headers for sale for both the DE Z's and the HR Z's, and they distinguish between them. If you ask them if they are compatible, I'm sure they'll tell you. My guess is no, but they should be able to tell you specifically why one way or the other.

Stillen's number: 866 250 5542
Thank you. Glad your head was working because mine obviously was not. I overlooked this easy atempt for an answer. Ill post up with the answer they give me.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:37 PM
T_K

HR headers and HFC sell for higher amount than DE versions. Now why would Stillen give you an option to buy 2 cheaper parts, when they can hook you on 2 parts with the HR tax....
Old 01-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Swimminggerman

Stillen did not know anything. "Two different part numbers so they are two different parts, now as far as determining their likeness we are not sure"
And yet, no more progress than several months ago. I wish someone with a pulled HR could just check for us. Prior to building their motor just strap on some DE's to see if it would work, then it would be a matter of clearances in the engine bay. If nothing really moved around, Steering column, knuckle, shaft or any other parts in those vacinities it should work. I guess this is a question simmilar to "I wonder how dirt on the moon tastes?" No one cares, nor will really ever find out.

Quick Reply: HR headers De Headers ? Interchangable?