Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Aem Intake Fouled Up Maf

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 12:14 AM
ZZZ-35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my K&N drop in panel installed for over 12,000Km and no problems, this must be a one off MAF fault/malfuction.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:25 PM
ThumpAZ

I talked to a friend of mine who is a certified 5-Star Chrysler/Dodge tech, and here is what he said:

If you over oil a gauze filter, such as a K&N, then you can get oil into the airstream past the filter. The oil used for these filters is very adherent to dust and other contaminates. This oil sticks to the MAF screens and can cause them to malfunction. Especially due to the way a MAF works, this becomes very troublesome. While most current MAFs can be cleaned (GENTLY!!) with rubbing alchohol or some other electronics contact cleaner, more and more are not able to be cleaned anymore.
Ford actually issued a bulletin to their techs and service advisors stating that drop-in oiled filters and intake systems that use such filters is grounds for voiding the engine warranty on any Ford vehicle.
He told me that he believes it is also printed in the fine print of the warranty paperwork. He did state, though, that many dealerships are still honoring warranty even with this type of filter... until there is something that can be attributed to the filter.

Even with this info, we are still getting an AEM for our Z... should be here tomorrow.
We ran a K&N drop-in on her last eclipse (GT model) with no problems, and I have been running a roundie K&N on my severely modified, fool injected Jeep for several years... again no problems.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:35 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Exactly - if you follow their instructions for maintenance, you will be fine -I ahve run K&N's in virtually every car I ahve owned with a MAF, even those Subaru's with their notoriously weak MAF's, and it was fine. What happens when it is overoiled is the oil gets onto the wire in the middle of the MAF (assuming its a hot wire car), dirt then collects on this spot faster than on other spots, casuing this section of the MAF to heat up faster(increased surface area), eventually, the wire breaks (its hair thin).

Remember, the filters com preoiled...no need to reoil until you clean, which should be done with their cleaning solution, running water, till teh filter is white, then let it dry, gently coat with oil, let it sit for about 30 minutes to an hour, reinstall.
Old 11-01-2003, 12:53 AM
nonmature

Originally posted by MGV156
My recommendation: Put the stock intake back on and take it to another dealer to have them dianose the code(s).
OK I threw a code right after the installation of my AEM but it was because I didnt disconnect the battery ( or at least thats what I think) before install it says to do that on the instructions I took it to the dealer and they cleared the code and it never happened again

but I am with them one this notion put the stock back on and go to another dealer...

-non