Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Secondary O2/oxygen sensor question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 04:26 PM
objext

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secondary O2/oxygen sensor question(s)

It's my understanding that the 2nd set of O2/oxygen sensors aren't used by the ECM in any way (don't affect A/F) under normal conditions. Is this correct? I'm a little confused because the FSM says they aren't used under normal conditions, but later on says:
Heated oxygen sensor 2 is located downstream of the three way catalyst 1. Even if the switching characteristics
of air fuel ratio (A/F) sensor 1 shift, the air-fuel ratio is controlled to stoichiometric by the signal from
heated oxygen sensor 2.
This makes it sound like the 2nd set of sensors is a backup for the first set, but from everything I've read during my dutiful search of this forum, they're just used to tell the ECM if the catalytic converters fail.

I'm doing a revup motor swap and don't currently have the cats or secondary O2 sensors, so I'm trying to decide if I should bother spending the money to get them or see about having them deleted during an ECM reprogram.

Anyone have a concrete, no bs answer?
Old 01-01-2012, 09:50 AM
lanceccs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am researching on this same topic. I am running without the secondary due to it being ripped off. The car is rich now, not sure if its due to delete of both the downstream O2 sensor.

Did you get the answer?

Originally Posted by objext
It's my understanding that the 2nd set of O2/oxygen sensors aren't used by the ECM in any way (don't affect A/F) under normal conditions. Is this correct? I'm a little confused because the FSM says they aren't used under normal conditions, but later on says:This makes it sound like the 2nd set of sensors is a backup for the first set, but from everything I've read during my dutiful search of this forum, they're just used to tell the ECM if the catalytic converters fail.

I'm doing a revup motor swap and don't currently have the cats or secondary O2 sensors, so I'm trying to decide if I should bother spending the money to get them or see about having them deleted during an ECM reprogram.

Anyone have a concrete, no bs answer?