Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Exhaust Sound Comparison of JIC Y-pipe vs Motordyne XYZ (with all modules) w/ Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 11:21 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Exhaust Sound Comparison of JIC Y-pipe vs Motordyne XYZ (with all modules) w/ Vortech

This is my review of the JIC Y-pipe vs Motordyne XYZ with the straight pipe, resonated straight pipe and Catalytic Converter modules.

First, some details about my overall setup, these variable do not change during these tests:

Vortech
IPP Built engine
DC Headers
Motordyne ART Pipes
Amuse Exhaust

I made clips of each of the runs I made with each setup on the dyno; everyone will have varying levels of sensitivity and taste to the exhaust sounds, so I'll let the clips speak for themselves, but I will add my own comments on how the car sounded from my own prespective.

1) My base setup that I ran for my first tune was with my JIC Y-pipe, I had picked the JIC during my N/A days because it was one of the recommended y-pipes for the Amuse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMAgqOuMNmQ

This setup was the loudest of all the reviewed setups. Although the ART pipes definitely helped the rasp of the setup quite a lot, it did still have a slight bit of rasp when in high boost; that's the nature of the Vortech setup and its high-flow, high-volume exhaust output. The reason I decided to switch to the Motordyne XYZ setup was because of the possibility of cleaning up the sound even further.

2) My next setup was with the Motordyne XYZ with the straight pipe module replacing the JIC Y-pipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1wgtQx99Es

In regards to sheer volume the Motordyne XYZ with the straight pipe was just about the same, but the slight bit of rasp that I had with the JIC y-pipe was gone altogether. I always suspected that the JIC y-pipe produced a slight bit of rasp since the outlet of the JIC was a little bit bigger than the Amuse B-pipe inlet (3.15" to 3") and this test confirmed it; the Motordyne setup matched the ART pipes and Amuse exhaust much better, so there was no rasp.

3) Next, we switched the straight pipe module from the XYZ pipe with the resonated pipe module:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUUIU3AztWM

From the videos it seems that the volume is the same, but from within the car the volume was definitely muted quite a bit. The pitch of the sound did stay the same, just a little bit quieter.

4) And finally, we switched the resonated pipe module with the catalytic conveter module on the XYZ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JusFUCvcMjo

This is where the sound of the setup changed significantly. Not only is the volume of the exhaust reduced even further, the pitch of the exhaust changed as well, definitely higher-pitched; you can definitely tell in the video the sound difference with the cat module.

All in all, my goal was to try and clean up the sound of my setup and run with a catalytic converter for my daily drive, and the Motordyne XYZ setup definitely was what I was looking for to achieve this.

For those of you who are curious about what number I got for these tunes: I was originally planning to run with the XYZ/Catalytic setup on the street and switch to the straight pipe or resonated pipe setup for max power/track purposes, but I got some interesting results...check the FI section for my thread on the dyno numbers I got
Old 10-09-2011, 05:01 PM
ROKMC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I'm looking for!!
Thanks Sir.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:46 PM
scoobyrex247

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great info man. Thanks for this post must have taken a long time.