Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Exhaust got real loud/drone/tone change

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:49 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exhaust got real loud/drone/tone change

I am currently S/C'd with Headers, Power Enterprise HFC's, Tanabe y pipe, and Amuse exhaust. Was driving the car home, and the car got real loud all of the sudden, lower pitch and louder/big time drone in cabin. Car feels a little slugglish. no cels, oil pressure, fuel pressure, temps ok. I did notice that before this, the exhaust note would kind of "gurgle" occasionaly when decelerating.

Could this be an exhaust leak (blown header/cat/exhaust gasket) or a clogged/collapsed cat(s)? Any other possibilities?

After I noticed the louder/deeper/crappier sound and drone, I did not push the car, but I did notice that reported boost was lower than when the car sounded normal. I thought that if a cat collapsed, then backpressure would increase and psi would increase on a supercharged setup? Maybe I am wrong in thinking this? I guess the mettalic core could have gotten blown out and stuck somewhere in the exhaust? That would really suck, but I have no idea since it's night and I can't get under the car.

Hopefully I can get it to the shop/on a rack sometime soon. I'm not going to drive it until then, but the shop is ~28 miles/40 minutes away. Ok to drive it there like this?

Any ideas on what happened?

Last edited by jonnylaw; 09-23-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:29 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

suspected to be a blown exhaust gasket (between b pipe and muffler). Will know when replacement is installed (3" vibrant gasket) Mon. or Tues.