Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Nismo S-Tune, install rear muffler only on HR?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:57 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Default Nismo S-Tune, install rear muffler only on HR?

Hi Group:

I've looked through every single thread regarding this issue, and have not yet found a definitive answer. Please don't speculate if you're not confident in a correct reply. I'd hate to take the old piece off for nothing, as time for me is a bit tight for me to waste right now.

I just picked up a minty used Nismo S-Tune rear muffler, and would like to get it mounted on my '08 ASAP. My question is, will it bolt-on to the OEM mid-pipe until I can purchase the matching S-Type mid-pipe (or perhaps something aftermarket)?

BTW, I'm pretty sure the answer is "no", but I just wanted some confirmation.

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Dean

Last edited by dcains; 11-22-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:22 PM
hellsoldiers08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....... why dont you try it worse case it doesnt bolt up.... Wouldnt take more than a hour to find this out..
Old 11-22-2010, 10:41 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

it won't bolt up!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:19 PM
hellsoldiers08

hmm correct me if im wrong he talking about the nismo catback exhaust correct.... the ones that say nismo on the tips.....
Old 11-22-2010, 11:43 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

yup but he wants to put this on an 08 stock mid-pipe....will not work...
Old 11-23-2010, 08:08 AM
dcains

KingBaby is correct.

Been under the car this morning, and the S-Tune muffler is not a bolt-on. The angles of the pipes don't match up.

I've discovered that the S-Tune exhaust is not the same as what comes standard on a Nismo Z. That OEM Nismo exhaust is just basically a stainless version of the non-Nismo exhaust (except for the bigger tailpipes), so all the pieces interchange. This is why I was finding conflicting info about whether or not it will fit.

The Nismo S-Tune is completely different, built for Nissan by a third-party, and has a different Y- and mid-pipe. It's also lighter, has a HP advantage, and is louder.

For now, I think I'm going to hit up a an exhaust shop to cut my OEM midpipe and make a short flanged adapter to match the S-Tune muffler. There may be other aftermarket Y- and mid-pipes that will work with it, but I'd like to just get it on the car ASAP, and I really don't want it to be all that much louder than OEM. Buying new S-Tune exhaust pieces from Nissan separately just doesn't make sense economically, as they really jack up the prices on individual parts.

At least now I can understand why I was getting both "yes" and "no" answers. And, I'm happy I ended up with the better of the 2 systems, even if it will require a bit more work to get it installed.

BTW, KingBaby, which island are you on? I get over to the B.I. several times a year.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:42 AM
hellsoldiers08

well my friend with a rx-8 had this problem with turboxs exhaust(i think that the name) well what he did was cut the pipe turned it to what he needed and welded it back on. worked great for tons of miles(like 5k plus) before he had enough money to but a whole header back system.

Trending Topics

Old 11-23-2010, 11:29 AM
dcains

Originally Posted by hellsoldiers08
well my friend with a rx-8 had this problem with turboxs exhaust(i think that the name) well what he did was cut the pipe turned it to what he needed and welded it back on. worked great for tons of miles(like 5k plus) before he had enough money to but a whole header back system.
I've been driving around Tampa all day and can't find a shop that can bend tubing larger than 2.75", which isn't going to do it. What I need is a shallow S-shape, maybe 8 or 10" long, and I'll be set. I'm going to check with some of the shops that install FI systems, as they should be able to bend and weld me up something. I'd really like to try the OEM midpipe first, and see how loud the system is.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:05 PM
dcains

Problem solved! Took the car today to S&R Performance in Tampa (my 1st visit there), and Mike fabricated a custom pipe to mate the OEM HR mid-pipe to the Nismo S-tune rear muffler. He cut and welded together several pieces of SS tubing and two flanges, so neither the pipe nor muffler were modified in any way. Great work, as you can see:

BTW, the S-Tune sounds great. I took a chance, and ended up getting exactly what I wanted. The sound is deeper and more mellow than the OEM, but only louder when I really jump on the throttle. Kudos to S&R for the great work.

Last edited by dcains; 11-24-2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: pic added
Old 11-24-2010, 04:30 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

one pic lol

glad everything worked out!

now more pictures
Old 11-24-2010, 04:46 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

This should be a sticky for all the winners that say the S-Tune will bolt up to an OEM mid-pipe. How much did they charge to make that pipe OP?
Old 11-24-2010, 09:28 PM
dcains

Originally Posted by AdvanZ33
This should be a sticky for all the winners that say the S-Tune will bolt up to an OEM mid-pipe. How much did they charge to make that pipe OP?
Yes, it's nice to have a definitive answer, but I understand all the confusion created by the existence of at least 2 Nismo exhausts (the OEM, and S-Tune), plus some Chinese knock-off pieces out there.

I paid $180 total, for fabrication of the pipe and swapping the mufflers. S&R was packed with cars, and I stopped by without an appointment, so all things considered (especially the quality of the work), I couldn't be happier. The job took 1.5 hours.

Also, Nissan will not sell the mid-pipe or Y-pipe separately, at any price. I had 2 dealers check with Nissan USA, and they'll only supply the whole 3-piece system. i think that's serious BS on Nissan's part, but that's the current situation.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:35 PM
dcains

Originally Posted by KingBaby
one pic lol

glad everything worked out!

now more pictures
I only had my phone with me at the shop, and it was too dark by the time I got home. I post a few more pics later today, but the Nismo S-tune doesn't look too much different than the OEM if you're looking at the rear of the car. Sounds a lot better, though.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:43 PM
dcains

Here are some more pics for KingBaby -

The left side of the system was ~1/4" too high, so I pulled off the chassis bracket and used a few washers under each of the 3 bolts. Nice and level now:

Here's a better pic of the adapter fabricated by Mike at S&R Performance. The front flange on the pipe is from the OEM muffler, while the rear flange is a Vibrant part:

The S-Tune tips angle up a little more than the OEM:

The finished look. The can hangs down a little more than the OEM, and of course, it's nice and shiny. One more piece to polish and wax:

Last edited by dcains; 11-25-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:24 AM
Nismo1534

Well done! I like seeing a nice, bolt-on adaptor that allows you to run the OEM mid-pipe and S-Tune muffler without modifying either of them. Great way to improve looks/sound

Oh, and just so people can see the piping difference between an OEM Nismo muffler (which is the same as any stock 350Z muffler) and the S-Tune/Fujitsubo

Last edited by Nismo1534; 11-27-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:30 AM
dcains

Thanks for the compliment, and your side-by-side pics of the 2 mufflers will be a good reference for the next time this issue comes up. I was just lucky to have bought the S-Type from that craigslist ad I saw last weekend, because I didn't know the difference.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Nismo1534

Originally Posted by dcains
Thanks for the compliment, and your side-by-side pics of the 2 mufflers will be a good reference for the next time this issue comes up. I was just lucky to have bought the S-Type from that craigslist ad I saw last weekend, because I didn't know the difference.
I think you might be confused? If it had been the OEM Nismo exhaust (one that comes on the Nismo stock) it would have bolted right up, as it's the same muffler as any stock 350z, just pretty looking. The fact that you got the S-Tune required you to make the adaptor. I'm not sure what you mean buy 'lucky you got the S-Tune.' You mean lucky because it looks/sounds the way it does? Either way, it looks good!

Last edited by Nismo1534; 11-27-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:59 PM
dcains

Not confused now, but I was before the purchase. I had thought the OEM Nismo would have been different than what my car came with, at least in terms of sound. Had I just bolted it on, and found no change, then I would have been disappointed, and probably would have re-sold it. I'm glad the S-Tune is what I accidentally found. The cost of the adapter wasn't bad, the sound change and better look are big improvements (at least to me), so this was about the best $380 I've ever spent. And, I've still got a viable upgrade path, keeping the S-Tune rear, and changing the mid-pipe and Y-pipe/cats later on. Actually I just spent another $8 on two gaskets, which I'll have from amazon.com on Monday.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Resurected for king baby....I purchased the infamous nismo muffler from other thread where dude was going to destroy it to prove this debate over. Three things from this....1, nismo muffler far improved over my 05 black. 2 sound is debatable, but certainly an improvement in flow in comparisson, I have APS tests, so its hard to tell based on sound lol. Lastly, it appears to obv be smaller than old oem,thus weight, and hangs much higher in comparisson...prob will buy diff mountings to let her hang down&out.
Overall gorgeous improvement and final touch to any exhaust.....when purchased for the right amount!