Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

HR Injen CAI's Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Z33FTMFW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HR Injen CAI's Questions

Hey guys I wanted to know if anyone here with these cai's have had any problems with their idling after installing them?

Also wanted to know around how much power can I expect out of them? I'm running the accessport stage 2+ tune right now (out of the shelf tune) these are my mods : AAM TP's,Stillen YPIPE, Greddy TIC single exhaust. I will be getting the car tuned later but was wondering around how much power to expect right off the bat with my mods.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:25 PM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The idle should be fine as long as you do an ecu reset. You should expect to gain about 80 awhp.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Rubidium

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well with out a tune, when you get the CAI's and have something less restrictive than stock cats you really need a tune.....so do it sooner than later.
Personal experience: Had stillen Gen 3 intakes, then did Stillen HFC's, car ran like **** no matter how many times I did an ECU reset. So put stock cats back on and I'm waiting to get an AP....then I'll get art pipes.....once I have enough I'll install the art pipes then get a tune immediately. So I don't run into issues.

To answer your question I'd say between 08-13 rwhp at max (maybe pushing it) with out a tune.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Z33FTMFW

Originally Posted by Rubidium
Personal experience: Had stillen Gen 3 intakes, then did Stillen HFC's, car ran like **** no matter how many times I did an ECU reset.
What kinda problems were you having?
Old 02-18-2011, 04:08 AM
Rubidium

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pretty much a fuel cut (as one friend described it) I was in second gear and didn't really punch it, but the car jerked really hard. It scared the s h i t out of me, the car just didn't perform well at all, slow response.....till I put the stock cats back on and BOOM car ran great again.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:23 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubidium
pretty much a fuel cut (as one friend described it) I was in second gear and didn't really punch it, but the car jerked really hard. It scared the s h i t out of me, the car just didn't perform well at all, slow response.....till I put the stock cats back on and BOOM car ran great again.
I got that but not as violent when I had Test pipes and short rams. It has something to do with running lean. Good job putting the cats back on. It's probably not a good thing when that happens.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Nismo1534

The stock intake system already flows really well on the HR. Any gains you feel from intakes is just in your head. I installed the Stillen Gen 3 long tube intakes (same as Injen) and all I got was +10 sound horsepower
Old 02-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Z33FTMFW

Originally Posted by Nismo1534
The stock intake system already flows really well on the HR. Any gains you feel from intakes is just in your head. I installed the Stillen Gen 3 long tube intakes (same as Injen) and all I got was +10 sound horsepower
The stillen gen 3 is not the same as Injen's cai's . Stillen's design places the filters behind the front bumper nose (behind the Nissan badge) , Injen's places the filters at grill opening with less restrictive bends in the tubing. Anyways , do you have dyno pics that shows no gains from stillen's? I know the HR's intakes flow really good , I currently have K&N drop in filters but I'm looking for more power and I've seen that the Injen intakes definitely add more power up to 10whp in some cases. There is no way that Injen's intakes are out-flowed by the stock ones , that's just pessimistic recycled forum nonsense . Maybe you are unhappy with the results from Stillen's CAI's but thats a totally different design. Without a tune I'm guessing probably 6-7 whp but now hearing about some of the issues some people on here have had without a tune + HFC's , I think I'll wait till I can tune the car right after the install I'm estimating +10whp at least with the tune so I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Nismo1534

Originally Posted by Z33FTMFW
The stillen gen 3 is not the same as Injen's cai's. Stillen's design places the filters behind the front bumper nose (behind the Nissan badge) , Injen's places the filters at grill opening with less restrictive bends in the tubing. Anyways , do you have dyno pics that shows no gains from stillen's? I know the HR's intakes flow really good , I currently have K&N drop in filters but I'm looking for more power and I've seen that the Injen intakes definitely add more power up to 10whp in some cases. There is no way that Injen's intakes are out-flowed by the stock ones , that's just pessimistic recycled forum nonsense . Maybe you are unhappy with the results from Stillen's CAI's but thats a totally different design. Without a tune I'm guessing probably 6-7 whp but now hearing about some of the issues some people on here have had without a tune + HFC's , I think I'll wait till I can tune the car right after the install I'm estimating +10whp at least with the tune so I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Man, I remember when I was as optimistic as you. All the hype and marketing of these "performance" products does hook a lot of people into thinking they are some sort of miracle parts. Do they flow better? Sure, but is a few HP really worth the $500 price tag? Drop in some K&N filters and even add Cobb's upper intake tubes and I bet you the gains between this setup and the long-tubes is negligible.

But don't take my word for it. Trust the professionals who installed everything for me and gave me this same lecture as I walked out with my tail between my legs:

https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/5081...ity-check.html

Sadly, you are missing the reality of the matter. I am curious how you think these are "totally different designs" when the filters on both systems are literally placed in the same location and the bends in the tubing are also the exact same.

Injen Installed:

Stillen Installed:

Last edited by Nismo1534; 02-20-2011 at 04:18 AM.