Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Nismo s-tune on stock Y-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 12:00 PM
jobimg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nismo s-tune on stock Y-pipe?

hello guys,

I've been searching from past threads about my question but i couldn't fine the an answer to it, so i decided to make a new thread.

I was wondering if this is a good idea or not. Im planning to put on nismo s-tune exhaust "muffler and mid-pipe" but leaving stock Y-pipe on.

Because i heard bad stories about the nismo s-tune Y-pipe, like leaks and cracks.

And i believe nismo s-tune exhaust and mid-pipe fits on stock Y-pipe, correct? so what would be the performance and sound diff? Any loss of power?

Please tell me your thoughts.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:06 PM
08-BlackZ

from what I've heard, you will gain absolutely nothing without an aftermarket Y-pipe. it is said to be the y-pipe that makes the power and sound difference
Old 03-27-2011, 12:32 PM
jobimg

thanks 08-blackz, but it will definitely fit right?
Old 03-27-2011, 12:34 PM
08-BlackZ

as far as i know it will fit...i have never heard otherwise. as far as the nismo y-pipe causing cracks, mine has had the nismo y-pipe, mid, and muffler for about 10k miles and not had any issues whatsoever. there have been reports of them causing cracks in the cats or something, but no problems here
Old 03-27-2011, 12:47 PM
shilly

Go with it,and pick up a y-pipe later.The s-tune y-pipe is said to cause cracks in hfc.When you do get a y-pipe I recommend the motordyne xyz resonated,it completely got rid of my rasp with the s-tune.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:48 PM
jobimg

i see, i have the whole set but planning to leave stock y-pipe on, and sell s-tune y-pipe.

hows the sound? is it too loud compared to stock? big diff?
Old 03-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Sickboy101

Received 87 Likes on 41 Posts

I'll buy the Nismo Y pipe off you.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:54 PM
08-BlackZ

it isn't too loud, but def an improvement over stock. it has no highway drone or anything, but it def makes a little noise past about 4.5k. i had a Ford Lightning before the 350, so it isn't loud to me at all. in the Lightning i couldn't even have a conversation with a passenger while moving lol
Old 03-28-2011, 07:57 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres so many topics on this i have already commented on...yes it will fit..if u are using stock cats u might as well use the nismo y pipe it will be fine...When the nismo y pipe is used with high flows or test pipes it is known to crack them or other components in the exhaust...i went thru a few sets of test pipes because of this and a mid pipe..i recommend getting a motordyne xyz instead of the nismo y pipe..

but it is fine like i said with stock cats just aftermarket it is known to cause problems...
Old 02-16-2016, 10:22 AM
Jamie318

What about The nismo s tune on a stock mid pipe? I know it wont fit up right and will need some work, but what are opinions on using stock mid pipe. only because of not having a s tune mid pipe.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:30 PM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie318
What about The nismo s tune on a stock mid pipe? I know it wont fit up right and will need some work, but what are opinions on using stock mid pipe. only because of not having a s tune mid pipe.
Itll work you just need a shop to fab up the flanges to mate to the 3in s tune
Old 02-16-2016, 02:34 PM
Jamie318

Originally Posted by nizmo_0385
Itll work you just need a shop to fab up the flanges to mate to the 3in s tune
Yes ik that but I mean like thoughts on how it will affect it since the resonators are different
Old 02-16-2016, 05:06 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Yes ik that but I mean like thoughts on how it will affect it since the resonators are different
How will it affect what? Sound? Power?

It will affect both negatively. What is the point of running S-Tune muffler if you're not going to run the entire system? Did you pick up a rear muffler only? The rear muffler is not where the already-frightfully-small power gain comes from, it's from the system between the cats and the rear muff.

I have/had S-Tune on both my Z33 and 34. Ehhhhh, like most patterned-after-stock-but-bigger & straighter exhaust systems, the gains are minimal and the only real difference is in the sound, NOT the torque curve, where it counts.

Bottom line: running just the rear won't hurt anything but.... it won't help much of anything either.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:17 PM
Jamie318

There's a muffler forsale neat me in sc for like 200 but no mid pipe. And have been looking everywhere for a mid pipe or somthing. I was going to get the invidia n1 but decided against as I have testpipes and it might be a little too loud. But my new plan is to have xyz pipe and nismo s tune exhaust with motordyne 5 inch tips . I was thinking custom straight pipe mid pipe and then just get the xyz resonator module what are your thoughts?
Old 02-16-2016, 06:14 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

There's a muffler forsale neat me in sc for like 200 but no mid pipe. And have been looking everywhere for a mid pipe or somthing. I was going to get the invidia n1 but decided against as I have testpipes and it might be a little too loud. But my new plan is to have xyz pipe and nismo s tune exhaust with motordyne 5 inch tips . I was thinking custom straight pipe mid pipe and then just get the xyz resonator module what are your thoughts?
That makes a lot of sense, although you mention noise as a potential issue. I have no experience with the Motordyne XYZ resonator but have heard good things so that will probably work well.

As an alternative to the MD unit, and since you are having to fab the mid-section anyways, have a look at these: http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...Path=1022_1033

Ive used 'em in the past and, s'matter of fact, just ordered another one for a semi-custom exhaust I'm building. I'm very pleased with the sound and build quality.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:01 PM
timeltel

Received 176 Likes on 122 Posts

Regards, Jamie318: Listen to Mic. An exhaust system IS a system and for two reasons: 1. Backpressure. 2. Scavenging. Get it wrong & you'll lose HP/torque or, worst case, burn your valves.

Tuning is the proved consequence of pulse timed manifolds and primary exhaust components being of a diameter calculated to provide the correct initial restriction so that exhaust gasses "pulse" in conjunction with the combustion of the next cylinder. When correctly tuned, exhaust gasses flow smoothly. Interrupt that flow and the expanding gas from each combustion cycle is not "pulled" through the manifold by the exiting gasses from the previous cycle. That's the scavenging part, think drafting behind another vehicle. Too much restriction is the backpressure end of the equation, you just rear ended the other vehicle.

Unless you're going to a smaller diameter tube you should have no problems but once past the Y-pipe collector any gains are inconsequential.

Good thread, read it: https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...k-for-n-a.html

Pay particular attention to posts by member/sponsor "Hydrazine", a for-real rocket scientist. If you're looking for performance boost, forget it. If it's exhaust note, your car, do whatever you want.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:26 PM
Jamie318

Originally Posted by timeltel
Regards, Jamie318: Listen to Mic. An exhaust system IS a system and for two reasons: 1. Backpressure. 2. Scavenging. Get it wrong & you'll lose HP/torque or, worst case, burn your valves.

Tuning is the proved consequence of pulse timed manifolds and primary exhaust components being of a diameter calculated to provide the correct initial restriction so that exhaust gasses "pulse" in conjunction with the combustion of the next cylinder. When correctly tuned, exhaust gasses flow smoothly. Interrupt that flow and the expanding gas from each combustion cycle is not "pulled" through the manifold by the exiting gasses from the previous cycle. That's the scavenging part, think drafting behind another vehicle. Too much restriction is the backpressure end of the equation, you just rear ended the other vehicle.

Unless you're going to a smaller diameter tube you should have no problems but once past the Y-pipe collector any gains are inconsequential.

Good thread, read it: https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...k-for-n-a.html

Pay particular attention to posts by member/sponsor "Hydrazine", a for-real rocket scientist. If you're looking for performance boost, forget it. If it's exhaust note, your car, do whatever you want.
OK I understand what your saying and what you mean. So basically I need to stay as close to stock tubing size as possible like I have a aftermarket y pipe that has 3" outlet so I should get a conversion for the beginning of my mid pipe to start at 3 then transition back into 2.5 or stock then have another conversion going back to 3 for the inlet of the s tune muffler? I think the s tune muffler inlet is 3" but I'll have to double check.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:15 PM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Have a shop make a 3 inch mid pipe with vibrant ultra quiet resonator also 3 inch and ill bet it performs exactly and sounds identical to the system
Old 02-17-2016, 05:27 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Do you plan on changing out your cats? If not, install the entire catback.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:58 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I've got some real-world experience with this, as I purchased my S-Tune exhaust piecemeal. I found the rear muffler on craigslist locally for $225, so I started with that, and had a custom adapter welded by a good shop:

Perfect fit, and great sound, but I still searched for the S-Tune mid- and Y-pipes, and didn't find them until almost 2 years later. Any difference?. Not a bit, at least in what I could hear and feel. But, my car is an '08 HR, which has the improved Y-pipe over the DE cars. so maybe that matters?

Quick Reply: Nismo s-tune on stock Y-pipe?