Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Cobb Post MAF Hose or HPS Silicone Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 07:06 AM
mr-mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobb Post MAF Hose or HPS Silicone Air Intake

I would appreciate hearing about your experience with either of the these replacement hoses.

Both are designed to replace the corrugated section of intake (Air Duct) between the MAF/airbox and the throttle control actuator/valve at the intake manifold collector.

Which do you like?

TIA.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:25 AM
silvertouringz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the cobb in blue...i love it
Old 04-23-2011, 06:42 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i would love to see intake temps on the diff intake pipes.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:35 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Still looking to get one some day, doubt it really does anything
Old 04-24-2011, 06:29 PM
omsin523

I bought the Cobb just for the looks, it might flow better since its just a straight hose, the Z tube has those grooves or whatever there called.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:37 AM
mr-mike

Well, I am leaning towards the Cobbs also but I like the SS T-Bolts clamps on the HPS over the standard lookng hose clamps of the Cobb. I would choose the stealthy black ones anyway. Funtion-wise they have to be identical wouldn't they?

Thanks for the opinions!
Old 06-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Eightonesix

I just got done installing the HPS intake tube this evening ('08 Z), wasn't complicated but it took more time than I thought it would-that strut bar was a B to take off (trying not to strip bolts but I did anyway) Guess I didnt loosen the tension enough. It was just as difficult to put back on exactly the way it was originally.

As for the hose, I wasnt very impressed. It was kind of soft, about the same as the OEM piece it replaced but with thicker walls. That might help in shielding engine heat though. The OEM kept a more true round shape compared to HPS tube which went slightly into an oval shape once i "fitted" it in place and clamped down. The sucky part was I had to trim the pieces to make it fit, about half inch or so off the little tube that came off on the sides-instructions mention possible trimming. The main hose itself was a little on the short side too but workable. As much as I had to cut off, I'm sure anyone doing this mod will have to also to make it fit. I wasnt expecting much gain wise but since it was a cheap mod-$110, thought i'd try it anyway since I wanted to keep the OEM air box w/ K&N panel filter and maybe try to improve it. After removing the OEM piece and looking thru it, it really didn't look any more restrictive than the HPS hose in my opinion or atleast not enough to matter. Nothing registered on the butt dyno but it did change the exhaust note ever so slightly-but if you didn't drive a Z daily you probably wouldn't notice the change in exhaust note. I think the K&N filter I installed last week had a greater impact performance wise but that was still pretty minimal at best but at least it was noticeable.

If I had a choice to do it again, I wouldnt or I would try the Cobb Hose. Cobb is 5-ply instead of HPS 3-ply which is kinda flimsy by my opinion. Fitment was so-so. Reason I chose the HPS over Cobb was no other reason than I was being cheap-was $20 cheaper and, oh, it had nicer clamps. Install was straight forward but removing/reinstalling strut bar was a pain.

Last edited by Eightonesix; 06-24-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:16 PM
mr-mike

so much of that is exactly the same as my experience, I got the HPS too.

I like the cool T-bolts - my reason for purchasing over the Cobb.
I would be interested in trying/seeing the Cobb product but I am content
I trimmed both tube bungs to get the fit right
It was flimsier then I expected but it didn't deform and won't collapse (used with JW Intake)
With JW intakes length wasn't a problem (sound note definitely nicer)
I am now running a little leaner - so there is an improvement in airflow (Pop Charger comment)
I did NOT remove or mess with the strut bar (Pop Charger - stock air boxes removed)