Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Building a custom exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 05:24 AM
Itzcashew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a custom exhaust?

Hey guys i was wondering about building my own exhaust. Why? Well...why not?

One option i was looking at was using a Magnaflow X pipe 3" inlet and outlet, with straight pipe to two resonators kinda like a dual exhaust.

Another was use a Y pipe, 2.5" to 3" outlet. Connect to a Magnaflow muffler, 3" inlet to 2.5" outlet and leads to dual resonators.

Pricing would be about $350-$450 depends on how much a shop charges me to weld.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:39 AM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Go for it. Main downside of that is you have no clue what it's gonna sound like until it's all put together, and once it's done, that's what you get. Not a big deal to change out the muffler(s) later on if you want a different sound.

In my experience I haven't liked the sound of the magnaflow stuff on smaller engines. big v8s they seem to sound good, 4-6cyl stuff just sounds buzzy to me. The vq has a pretty sweet tone from the start though, so it might be hard to make it sound bad. Report back with a video of what you end up with.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:52 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just put a resonator or two in there and call it a day.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:30 AM
travis0260

hey man, I think you should go for it. there is no rule that say go with the crowd. I would talk to the exhaust shop first and see if they are cool with fitting the exhaust together with mandrel bends. if so put mandrel bends on the shopping list. If the exhaust shop will do it then you might as well do it for a little extra cash.

About Magnaflow
probably one of the best straight through universal mufflers you can buy for the price. your going to get a product with quality like HKS but for a significantly lower price, at least compared to HKS. There's a reason why they have a Lifetime Warranty. I'm going off of what a performance exhaust shop owner told me. He always recommended Magnaflow mufflers for his customers that could spend the extra cash.

I really doubt it's going to sound buzzy
Old 06-30-2011, 08:01 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh why not.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:44 AM
VQdriver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Itzcashew
Hey guys i was wondering about building my own exhaust. Why? Well...why not?

One option i was looking at was using a Magnaflow X pipe 3" inlet and outlet, with straight pipe to two resonators kinda like a dual exhaust.

Another was use a Y pipe, 2.5" to 3" outlet. Connect to a Magnaflow muffler, 3" inlet to 2.5" outlet and leads to dual resonators.

Pricing would be about $350-$450 depends on how much a shop charges me to weld.
Depending on the volume you are looking for you may want to search for the longest, narrowest resonator (to fit in the tunnel) you can find coupled to the largest crossflow muffler for sound control. I probably would stick with a 2.5" pipe if you're not turbocharged. Let's be honest, these are midsized V6 motors not bigger V8s. If it's stainless, I've used Borla in my old maxima with success. It sounded mean at WOT with a minimal drone at 2-2,500rpm cruising which gets louder under load or going uphill with the AC. Magnaflow is probably equivalent. They do make their own catbacks, maybe you can research which mufflers they use to get similar sound and performance.

Now that I'm older I don't want quite as much loudness. I'm going to have an axle back made with a flowmaster 80 series style muffler to my stock tips. I'm going to paint the muffler and welding flat black. Hopefully it looks stock. I've heard clips of them in the G/Z/FX/murano format and they sound decent (almost Nismo-like). Hopefully there will be a modest gain in engine response, sound and weight savings for the least amount of money.

Ultimately, I'm looking to have HFC, to an HR style aftermarket ypipe, to stock mid pipe, to 80 series style custom axle back, to stock tips.

Last edited by VQdriver; 06-30-2011 at 08:53 AM. Reason: addendum
Old 06-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Itzcashew

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

I've have some background with the Magnaflow exhaust, I bought the axle back exhaust from them on my Z. I'm selling it because I'm in the process of going F/I so i needed a more true dual straight flowing exhaust.

I'll gather the parts and decide the issue from there.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:47 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a bit risky as to how its gonna sound.Obviously,HP increase is not your priority.
I've heard many homemade jobs..."I did it for less than $300 in an hour".They all sound the same to me,bassy like a guy running glass packs.If thats what you want,go for it.
I did alot of research,listened to a bunch of systems.Of course,quality is a factor.
To me,you can't beat the NISMO cat back sound.Gonna cost about ,$1,300...but bolts right on.looks great.Borla&Stillen are also great if you want a true dual...But the NISMO
sounds sweet!
Old 06-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Itzcashew

Originally Posted by JCITY
Thats a bit risky as to how its gonna sound.Obviously,HP increase is not your priority.
I've heard many homemade jobs..."I did it for less than $300 in an hour".They all sound the same to me,bassy like a guy running glass packs.If thats what you want,go for it.
I did alot of research,listened to a bunch of systems.Of course,quality is a factor.
To me,you can't beat the NISMO cat back sound.Gonna cost about ,$1,300...but bolts right on.looks great.Borla&Stillen are also great if you want a true dual...But the NISMO
sounds sweet!
I had the Nismo it was too subdued for me. =[

But this is my plan:

MagnaFlow 14386 X pipe to MagnaFlow 14416 and then 4" tips.