Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Nismo Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 01:51 PM
370zforme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nismo Cold Air Intake

So Nissan told me that my air filter is oily and that they would recommend that I get a new intake (probably BS but whatever) so I am taking this opportunity to upgrade to the Nismo Cold Air Intake. However, on the phone, he told me that the intake is meant for off road use only and may not pass smog. Have any of you that have this part had issues with it passing smog? I am in California btw, thanks!:thumb up:

PS My car came with an awesome warranty (160k miles bumper to bumper) so I don't want to void the warranty, do you think that this would void it?
Old 07-26-2011, 02:56 PM
drivessidewayz

Sense...this doesn't make it.

I don't know why they'd ever recommend you replace the entire intake for a bad air filter. You sure they didn't recommend a simple filter change?

If you'd like to go by the "for offroad use only", my car is nowhere near street legal. I stopped paying attention to that years ago. An intake system, especially a Nismo CAI, should never void warranties or cause emissions issues.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:01 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

I'm sure you will get multiple answers to this, but here is a statement from Performance Nissan (Los Angeles):
"Is it possible for an aftermarket intake to void your warranty? Yes. Only if the Mass Air Flow sensor is damaged. The only time this happens is during instalation or if an over oiled filter is installed. If oil or any particle comes in contact with the MAF it could damage it. A MAF can be damaged with the stock intake as well."
Basically it will void the warranty if the intake is directly resposible for the damage. To be on the safe side I would contact whatever dealer you get your work done. To be on the safer side, have them install it since it is a factory offered performance mod.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:19 PM
JaE35z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The nismo intake will not void your warranty, nissan makes/sales them lol
Old 07-26-2011, 03:24 PM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JaE35z
The nismo intake will not void your warranty, nissan makes/sells them lol
Fixed
Old 07-26-2011, 04:11 PM
JaE35z

Old 07-26-2011, 05:15 PM
JCITY
Banned

Makes no sense.Is the dealer just trying to sell you a Nismo CAI.The single ones are around $300.Your z has a dual system.Its your money and if you want to upgrade,go ahead.All Nismo parts are as good as OEM...they do not void your warranty.
Sounds like you just need a new filter/filters.Drop 2 K&N'S in there for 50-60 bucks!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:41 PM
musubi

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

Just because you have aftermarket parts, doesn't necessarily mean you've voided any warranty....within reason of course. If it can be proved that the alteration or modification done to a car caused the problem, then, yes, warranty can't save you there.

I've had oiled intake filters gunk up my MAF sensor in the past, causing performance issues. That's probably the worst I've heard regarding intakes. Simple remedy to this is just to clean it yourself...carefully.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:48 PM
ShadowHunter66

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^What they're saying. But, if you get pulled over (and they ask you to pop the hood), you'll get a ticket and you won't pass smog because the Nismo is not CA legal.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:52 PM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

One more reason Cali sucks! Practically a communist state. Way too much government control for me.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The intake will pass smog (just did it last year with mine) but if a LEO wants to be a douche he could probably pop you for it.

Then again they can probably pop you for nearly everything
Old 01-09-2013, 08:48 AM
hannah

Originally Posted by Waizzz
The intake will pass smog (just did it last year with mine) but if a LEO wants to be a douche he could probably pop you for it.

Then again they can probably pop you for nearly everything
I currently have a 2005 350z 35th Anniversary Edition and failed my smog check because of "modified PCV, Vacuum Lines to Sensors/switches, and other Emission related components" (see doc photo attached)
*Doc also says its reason is for change of ownership (it's not.. tech just did that without asking)
*Doc also says exhaust is single, but i have 2 exhausts... does that make a difference?

Some other info- I have a Nismo Cold Air Intake, which was installed sometime in 2005.. I passed smog with it March 2011, but not this year- Jan 2013.. I also have a nismo dual exhaust..

I've been researching forums and ebaying some things.. I just need a certain number to give to the smog tech. (of course with the OEM CAI installed)...

Question is: would a "Z-tube" be sufficient enough to pass smog?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150724584280

If not, what parts/part numbers do I need to order to pass smog?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.. my deadline to register my vehicle again is early March..
Attached Thumbnails Nismo Cold Air Intake-photo.jpg  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:08 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Post a pic of your engine bay. The only thing under the hood is the Nismo CAI?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:13 AM
hannah

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Post a pic of your engine bay. The only thing under the hood is the Nismo CAI?
I'll post a photo of the engine bay later today, but I assure you the only modifications I've made are the strut bar and intake (both nismo).
Old 01-09-2013, 09:13 AM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Blast from the past! Are you sure your sensors aren't dirty?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by hannah
I currently have a 2005 350z 35th Anniversary Edition and failed my smog check because of "modified PCV, Vacuum Lines to Sensors/switches, and other Emission related components" (see doc photo attached)
*Doc also says its reason is for change of ownership (it's not.. tech just did that without asking)
*Doc also says exhaust is single, but i have 2 exhausts... does that make a difference?

Some other info- I have a Nismo Cold Air Intake, which was installed sometime in 2005.. I passed smog with it March 2011, but not this year- Jan 2013.. I also have a nismo dual exhaust..

I've been researching forums and ebaying some things.. I just need a certain number to give to the smog tech. (of course with the OEM CAI installed)...

Question is: would a "Z-tube" be sufficient enough to pass smog?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150724584280

If not, what parts/part numbers do I need to order to pass smog?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.. my deadline to register my vehicle again is early March..
Will they let you retest it somewhere else or do you have to go there?

Since you're local to me just go to the place that I went and they won't hassle you:

https://my350z.com/forum/southern-ca...ong-beach.html

If the only thing that you got dinged on was an intake then you can will need to buy a Z tube and intake box for your car (less than $70 on the forum) or just ask someone to borrow theres.

I have an intake box for an 03-05 that you can borrow worst case scenario and you should be be able to still use your intake tube from the NISMO intake
Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 AM
hannah

Originally Posted by Waizzz
Will they let you retest it somewhere else or do you have to go there?

Since you're local to me just go to the place that I went and they won't hassle you:

https://my350z.com/forum/southern-ca...ong-beach.html

If the only thing that you got dinged on was an intake then you can will need to buy a Z tube and intake box for your car (less than $70 on the forum) or just ask someone to borrow theres.

I have an intake box for an 03-05 that you can borrow worst case scenario and you should be be able to still use your intake tube from the NISMO intake
Awesome! Thanks for the info- I will check out the place in Long Beach!

I wanted to re-test at the same place I got it, since I already paid $42.. but I just might as well go to your suggested thread info:
Cars Muffler and Automotive
617 Artesia Boulevard
Redondo Beach, CA 90278
310-371-7055 (Ask for Jim)
http://www.carsmufflerandautomotivecenter.com/
and pay $42 test + $8 certificate = $50 total

I'll rather go to another smog tech than to change back n forth (it'll be cheaper too). =)

Actually, just realized that post was back in 2010... I'll probably need to borrow/buy oem and just sit with that option until I sell my car couple years later..!

Last edited by hannah; 01-09-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 AM
hannah

Originally Posted by jerseystyle
Blast from the past! Are you sure your sensors aren't dirty?
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by sensors.. maybe it's because it was an addition to the failed intake info and it created everything afterwards to be marked "modified?" Unless sensors are part of the intake.. I dont know.. maybe my engine bay is kind of dirty.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 AM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

MAF? Sometimes they get dirty and can cause issues.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Awesome! Thanks for the info- I will check out the place in Long Beach!

I wanted to re-test at the same place I got it, since I already paid $42.. but I just might as well go to your suggested thread info:
Cars Muffler and Automotive
617 Artesia Boulevard
Redondo Beach, CA 90278
310-371-7055 (Ask for Jim)
http://www.carsmufflerandautomotivecenter.com/
and pay $42 test + $8 certificate = $50 total

I'll rather go to another smog tech than to change back n forth (it'll be cheaper too). =)

Actually, just realized that post was back in 2010... I'll probably need to borrow/buy oem and just sit with that option until I sell my car couple years later..!

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by sensors.. maybe it's because it was an addition to the failed intake info and it created everything afterwards to be marked "modified?" Unless sensors are part of the intake.. I dont know.. maybe my engine bay is kind of dirty.
Originally Posted by jerseystyle
MAF? Sometimes they get dirty and can cause issues.
Looks like the tech didn't allow you to pass visual and just randomly selected something to make sure you didn't pass

I would just not bother going back there, you passed everything else and that tech is just being a ****

Quick Reply: Nismo Cold Air Intake