Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

pop charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 10:56 AM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guys, am I looking at this wrong, all I see is a cone filter, a heat shield and a short tube, is that it??? If so, what is the big deal?? (correct me if I am wrong).
Old 01-18-2004, 11:05 AM
redls1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats why I made my own. I think the benifit is more surface area to suck air from.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:09 AM
lowrider

Z04

You should have gotten edge trim with you POP-Charger. I'd go to the vendor, or better yet directly to JWT, and have them send it to you.

Lou
Old 01-18-2004, 11:14 AM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by redls1
Thats why I made my own. I think the benifit is more surface area to suck air from.
I remember guys on clubsi making long tube CAI's that were copies of other famous brands. They had the same dyno results, for under $100. Seems to me like a kit like this would be very very easy to make for little $. I guess I better go dig out my k&n filter and tube from my integra and see if I can modify something, I knew there was a reason I kept that thing around
Old 01-18-2004, 12:50 PM
FLY BY Z

Of course you can make your own. However, for 40 dollars extra, there is no fabrication involved. The popcharger comes with the necessary hardware to bolt up directly to the MAF. That is a piece you will have to make. All you need to do to install the popcharger is unscrew and screw in 5 bolts (and 2 for the heatshield). It is VERY simple and supported by Performance Nissan AND JWT should a problem arise with the product. To me this is worth a measly 40 bucks.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:57 PM
StandAloneZ

i just realized that i didnt get that extra trim either...is it very important to have??
Old 01-18-2004, 03:01 PM
lowrider

IMO, yes the rubber edge trim is important. It trys to seal off the filter from the heat of the engine. How good it does is open to opinion. One thing is for sure though, without it, you get no attempt at the sealing. Oh, it isn't extra trim, it's part of the kit. Suprised two of you didn't get it.

Lou

Last edited by lowrider; 01-18-2004 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Sins4u33

ok....now i am stuck in a dilemma......i wanted the Gruppe-M intake for my Z.....but now since i've read about this JWT pop charger....it seems to be competing in some case....the gruppe m provides quality but i dunno if it provides the most performance......can someone help me in this sticky situation?

Ben
Old 01-18-2004, 04:33 PM
all_bark

i did both!

I have a hybrid - pop charger hooked at the end of the injen full cai intake.

I will be dynoing the entire package (see below) within two weeks, then I will be adding the Lsduniqe high flow cats, dynoing again and then adding the new lsdunique plastic plenum prototype and then dynoing again.

here is the pic of the hybrid
Attached Thumbnails pop charger-finished-install.jpg  
Old 01-18-2004, 04:37 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just received my Pop-charger from Avalon Racing....$100.00 with the heatshield. I wont be able to install it until next weekend but just for those with question, mine came with the extra trim along with the heat shield. Looks very nice so far!!
Old 01-18-2004, 04:37 PM
all_bark

the previous photo shows where it sits in the grill. this one shows the more complete view....
Attached Thumbnails pop charger-injeninstall3.jpg  
Old 01-18-2004, 04:44 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by rodH
guys, am I looking at this wrong, all I see is a cone filter, a heat shield and a short tube, is that it??? If so, what is the big deal?? (correct me if I am wrong).
No, you are looking at it correctly. The stock intake tubing is superior to the metal ones offered by AEM or Injen and others. The stock intake for the Z has been proven to be very good from the factory-the best even. The Pop-charger uses the stock intake tube and just places an open air element directly in front of the cold-air inlet. What you get is an improvement of already the best existing design.

If you want a chrome or some different colored intake tube then go for AEM or Injen or someone. If you want function and performance then go for the Pop-charger. Its all what you're after.

Last edited by MyZ4U2C; 01-18-2004 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:34 PM
B2BigAl

Okay, I had a real bad experience with my pop charger today. I ran my car through the pay & spray to rinse off the dirt, and when I pulled out onto the highway, my car died. I kept pumping the throttle, but it wasn't getting any air/fuel. The throttle was totally non responsive, it hovered around 1200 rpm for a few seconds, then it just died. I managed to coast into a gas station and popped the hood to see what the hell was going on. There was some water that had gone up the intake snorkel and some that had gotten managed to get in between the hood and fender. There was a small amount of water on the filter and on the MAF, but not enough that it should've killed the engine. Only thing I can figure is that there is a leak somewhere, where the popcharger mounts to the MAF, and when I punched the throttle getting on the highway it was enough suction to pull in some water and get it on the MAF. Either that or the filter really sucks(no pun intended) at keeping water out. I started the car about 20 times, and it would idle around 300 rpm for a few seconds and die again. I finally managed to get the water out of the intake, and it ran fine the rest of the day. I'm going to make a gasket for where the MAF and pop charger connect, I really suspect there is a leak of some kind. If that doesn't fix it, this things going back, and I'm putting the stock airbox back and getting a K&N panel filter. Anyone else had this sort of thing happen? And BTW, my pop charger was missing all the mounting hardware, decals, instructions, and the metal mounting lip thing for the heat shield, I'll be calling the dealer monday.

To the guy who asked about the FAA, I'm not sure exactly where it is, but four other software engineers I work with used to work there. They said it was in OKC, I want to say downtown but I'm not sure.

Last edited by B2BigAl; 01-18-2004 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:38 PM
silverstoneTT

see now that worries me...im hoping it was because you were missing things...
Old 01-18-2004, 07:43 PM
FLY BY Z

there is a small o-type gasket that maybe you did not transfer or it fell off during install. even so i NEVER have water under my hood from washing it, usually with some type of pressure sprayer. the ONLY time water get under the hood is when i lift the hood to let water run out of the seal up front. my underhood stays suprisingly dry. i will watch for this, thanks for posting, but i think something is wrong with your car.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:53 PM
B2BigAl

The o-ring was still on the MAF when I put it on, but there is a small gap between the MAF and pop-charger. It's a large enough gap that I can slip my fingernail in it, so it appears that the two parts aren't mounting flush with eachother. I just put the pop-charger on yesterday, and today was the first time I have driven it with it on. I wash my car at least twice a week, and have never had any problems before. It's not like there is a lot of water, but when you hit the gaps in the body panels with a pressure sprayer, it's going to leak through a little bit. Logic would dictate that since nothing was wrong with the car before, and I just put on this new part and now it's acting up, that it's probably the source of the problem. Like I said, I'm gonna make a gasket for it and see if that's the problem. If the car acts up again, without any water being introduced, well then obviously there is something else wrong.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:26 AM
Wedge

If you sprayed the pressure washer directly into the grill near where the air intake is, there is a possibility of shooting water into the end of the JWT filter. Usually, the filter can handle normal moisture from rain etc., but depending on the power of the pressure washer, weird things can happen. Any filter, when very wet, will have a hard time breathing.

I have had the pop charger for a while now and have driven through some fairly heavy SoCal winter rain with no ill effects.

Even the sealed stock air box could allow water to be shot onto the enclosed filter if a pressure washer was shot into the intake just behind the grill. Then in an attempt to get the required air, the engine may suck in the water from the saturated filter.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:35 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you are hurting performance by moving the filter down there...

but good luck...
Old 01-19-2004, 09:47 AM
all_bark

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
I think you are hurting performance by moving the filter down there...

but good luck...
why?
Old 01-19-2004, 10:39 AM
AL350Z

I know u found water in that area but don't rule out the electrical system causing your stall. This has happned to me before in other vehicles but seems like it would be a long shot in this car.

Quick Reply: pop charger