Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

pop charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004 | 11:02 AM
FLY BY Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by all_bark
why?
two reasons. one small one being sitting right next to the radiator is not a cold area. half of the air sucking in is hot. and B) the longer tube severely decreases throttle response.
Old 01-19-2004 | 12:02 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why?
air is being blown around the filter faster then the filter can suck it in...

the JWT filter and K&N Type filters like on the end of an INJEN intake take in air more freely when the filter is in a neutral or presurized section... like where the stock air box is or in the wheel well... not in the direct path of the air...
Old 01-19-2004 | 01:08 PM
all_bark

if the filter is sucking air and the air is blowing into and around it (while I am driving) your saying the filter will not suck in as much as if it is inside the engine compartment?

btw - the pop charger is sitting about 3 inches off the radiator so if i am moving and air is going into the radiator do you think the heat from the radiator is going to go up wind into the pop charger?

maybe if I am stopped but I do not think so when i am moving.

I will be dynoing next weekend so i guess if it comes back poor (especially with all the mods) I will remove it and remount it on the end of the injen on the inside of the compartment. I just think that the air INSIDE the engine compartment will be HOTTER than the air flowing directly into the filter on the outside (front side) of the radiator. jmho but I may be wrong!
Old 01-19-2004 | 06:09 PM
NY 350Z

wouldnt the heatshield deflect the hot air air from the radiator?
Old 01-19-2004 | 06:28 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the filter is sucking air and the air is blowing into and around it (while I am driving) your saying the filter will not suck in as much as if it is inside the engine compartment?
thats what i think and the conclusion people ahve come to with the Injen...
Old 01-20-2004 | 02:05 AM
RKnight

Is the JWT intake CARB approved? Which of the other intakes that are available approved?
Old 01-20-2004 | 03:17 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by RKnight
Is the JWT intake CARB approved? Which of the other intakes that are available approved?
yes
Old 01-20-2004 | 03:13 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got my popcharger this week and will put it on this weekend. I notice it says i only need a 10mm socket and a stubby phillips head to do the install. Is this really all thats required, or am i gonna run into some 'unexpected' things? I dont have a ton of tools and i want to know if there is anything else i may need that may helpful for the install.
Old 01-20-2004 | 03:16 PM
silverstoneTT

Hmmm I'm planning on putting mine in this weekend also. If something unexpected comes up I'll make it work even if I have to work with my hands. I'm using my friends garage and his dads tools so hopefully he has everything that I'm gonna need.
Old 01-20-2004 | 04:04 PM
NY 350Z

thats all you need. a 10 MM socket and wrench,a philips screw driver,and a flat head to pry off 1 clip.
Old 01-20-2004 | 05:15 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool.....im there.
Old 01-21-2004 | 09:07 AM
Z4KR

Popcharger installs really easy. The only thing you may need, beside what NY 350Z mentioned, is something sharp to punch 2 holes through the plastic snorkel.
Old 01-21-2004 | 11:49 AM
NY 350Z

i just put the screws on the screw driver and punched them like that of course turning the screw driver at the same time...worked fine
Old 01-22-2004 | 03:49 PM
silverstoneTT

Im not sure if it was this thread or another about their being like an O ring some people were getting and others werent. My pop charger came with the big filter, the metal thing that goes inside it, two of those small metal like pieces with holes at both ends, a bag of screws, the heat shield, and another flat wider piece of metal with two holes as well. Am I missing anything?

Also, the instructions that come with it arent very detailed. Is there an chance of the picture, step by step guide going up?
Old 01-22-2004 | 04:23 PM
Z4KR

Originally posted by silverstoneTT
Im not sure if it was this thread or another about their being like an O ring some people were getting and others werent. My pop charger came with the big filter, the metal thing that goes inside it, two of those small metal like pieces with holes at both ends, a bag of screws, the heat shield, and another flat wider piece of metal with two holes as well. Am I missing anything?

Also, the instructions that come with it arent very detailed. Is there an chance of the picture, step by step guide going up?
I am not sure what you mean by the two small metal like pieces with holes on both ends. But, the only thing that you didn't mention was the rubber edge trim.
Old 01-22-2004 | 04:27 PM
NY 350Z

yup,same hear with the two small metal pieces,i dunno what that is,but Z4KR is correct you did not mention the rubber trim. other than that you should be fine.

i just wanna say again i LOVE the sound of my intake...at 3-4k rpms its loudest and i love being next to someone and having it whistle...they look and all. mmm god its amazing. sorry.
Old 01-22-2004 | 04:27 PM
FLY BY Z

If you look at the parts you can figure out the installation process without instructions. The O ring is a stock piece on the MAF. It does not come with any of the Popcharger kits. Just take out the stock airbox, take the MAF off the airbox, put the MAF on the Popcharger, mount the heatshield to the bottom part of the engine bay, screw the front of the heatshield to the plastic intake piece up front, reattach the MAF/Popcharger assembly to the intake tube, bolt the arm to the Popcharger/MAF bolt that lines up properly in order for you to bolt the other end of the arm to the stock mounting location for the airbox. Done. That's just off the top of my head. Use the instructions to fill in any blanks.
Old 01-22-2004 | 04:28 PM
silverstoneTT

so wait, is the rubber trim theyre talking about the O-ring fly b z is referring to? if not i guess im going to contact courtesynissan where i bought it from...
Old 01-22-2004 | 05:10 PM
Z4KR

Originally posted by silverstoneTT
so wait, is the rubber trim theyre talking about the O-ring fly b z is referring to? if not i guess im going to contact courtesynissan where i bought it from...
No, the rubber trim is not the same as the O-ring. You install the rubber trim to the edge of the heat shield. You should see a picture of it on the second page (back side) of the instructions. Better yet see link below:
http://jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf...50ZINSTALL.PDF
Old 01-23-2004 | 04:44 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dynos

Originally posted by MyZ4U2C
Ive already seent that thread/dyno and ive also seen a few more that disprove any gains. What to believe?
The Dyno runs showing an 11 HP gain were done 5000 miles apart. The first one was at 3200 miles and the second at around 8200 miles.

I would expect an engine to loosen up in that period and show more power even with NO mods.

IMO tt is not possible to conclude that the 11 HP difference was due the popcharger.

Other runs done closer together seem to indicate otherwise.

Quick Reply: pop charger