Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Make stock exhaust louder for $2.00

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 06:04 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Make stock exhaust louder for $2.00

I searched before I posted and could really find anything, even on google. So dont flame.

Ok this weekend I went back to Miami and was talking to my friend at his shop,
he game me a idea to make the stock exhaust louder really cheap, and that could be put back to stock in 5 min.

I did some messing around and you need to do the same when doing the mod in order to get the sound you like.

Basically you unbolt the exhaust from the muffler, and you put some washers between the 2 flanges. I found some spare nuts that fit and put 2 in a row on each bolt to space them apart.

Works great!

Will post video clip when I get home.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 09-19-2011, 06:11 AM
RENFRO

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

Please put your exhaust back to the way it's supposed to be...before you get flamed.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:12 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Paying money, even if it's only $2, for an exhaust leak, is fawking retarded.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:14 AM
huyrua

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many HP will you gain?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:14 AM
NZMOWND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so ur paying to have an exhaust leak?? dumbass move buddy, put it back to stock
Old 09-19-2011, 06:19 AM
RENFRO

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto

Old 09-19-2011, 06:29 AM
Z33Garage

Originally Posted by RENFRO
Please put your exhaust back to the way it's supposed to be...before you get flamed.
.....and done

Ok thats what i figured, but enlighten me , what part of a "exhaust leak" at the muffler( not the cats where it matters) is bad? its just a straightpipe with a spaced muffler.

Originally Posted by huyrua
How many HP will you gain?
How much will you gain with a 1000+ hks exhaust on a DE ? <5

Originally Posted by NZMOWND
so ur paying to have an exhaust leak?? dumbass move buddy, put it back to stock
Ok, same as AL, so If i remove the muff its a straightpipe and not retarted, but if I space the muffler, its retarted?

Im not trying to get flamed but Im just trying to find the reason behind your claims. Nor am I trying to not take all of you combined experiences, which overshadow my own, I would just like a technical reason as to why not put an exhaust spacer.( leak ) w.e you want to call it.

To my knowledge, the only "BAD" exhaust leak is a leak in the catalytics, because it causes errors in the O2 sensors.

An exhaust leak at the end of the pipe shouldnt do anything, expecially if most aftermarket exhaust systems are basically unrestricted exhausts. Agian, you guys are probably right but dont just say "dude ur an idiot, put it back"
Old 09-19-2011, 06:35 AM
created2destroy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just pay a shop $50 and have a strait pipe made? It has to sound better than exhaust rushing out between the flanges. Either way I want to see a video of how terrible it sounds.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:38 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by go7roo7

Ok thats what i figured, but enlighten me , what part of a "exhaust leak" at the muffler( not the cats where it matters) is bad? its just a straightpipe with a spaced muffler.
There is no such thing as a "good" or "bad" exhaust leak. Any exhaust leak is bad.

To purposely make your exhaust leak at any point is stupid. This is about as dumb as young kids stabbing the mufflers on their stock Civics to make them louder.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:38 AM
Z33Garage

Originally Posted by created2destroy
Why not just pay a shop $50 and have a strait pipe made? It has to sound better than exhaust rushing out between the flanges. Either way I want to see a video of how terrible it sounds.
Yeah I thought the same when he told me, but I heard some of the cars that had it done and he just said that I should play with the amount of spacers to get the right sound, and no drone.

Cause I have made straight pipes, and they will get u tickets( reason why ppl are using exhaust spacers in Miami now actually) Cops down there are actually being taught how to spot Straight pipes.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:39 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to do this to make your exhaust "louder"(I can't understand why)
and want to be able to change it...get an old JC Whitney catalog.Weld on a exhaust
cut off--you can take the end plates off or,put some washers between the flanges and the caps.They were called,lakes pipes.If you really want to go retro ricer,find an old weld on cut out piece that had a flex cable running under the dash.You can open it
and get as loud as you want.
Hey,its your car.Sounds good to you..thats all that matters.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:44 AM
Z33Garage

There is no such thing as a "good" or "bad" exhaust leak. Any exhaust leak is bad.

To purposely make your exhaust leak at any point is stupid. This is about as dumb as young kids stabbing the mufflers on their stock Civics to make them louder.

And that could be also as dumb as people spending 1000+ dollars on an exhaust that wont yield horsepower, and justify an exhaust leak( at the exhaust tip) is just as bad as an exhaust leak at the cat or header.

Not saying anyone is right or wrong but honestly the car doesnt drone, it sounds just like the Invidia Exhaust the buy across the street has on his G. I havent take the car for a dyno but you may be right that the exhaust tip leak may cause a decreease in HP, or it may not. In my friends experience with the 240s that he works with, the dyno shows nither and increase or a decrease. So in reallity what you are saying is that "you" dont like loud exhausts. Thus your opinion, which you are entitled to it 100%. Like I said, I will post a video when I get home from work and you all can "judge" the sound quality of my recording.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:47 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by go7roo7
And that could be also as dumb as people spending 1000+ dollars on an exhaust that wont yield horsepower, and justify an exhaust leak( at the exhaust tip) is just as bad as an exhaust leak at the cat or header.

Not saying anyone is right or wrong but honestly the car doesnt drone, it sounds just like the Invidia Exhaust the buy across the street has on his G. I havent take the car for a dyno but you may be right that the exhaust tip leak may cause a decreease in HP, or it may not. In my friends experience with the 240s that he works with, the dyno shows nither and increase or a decrease. So in reallity what you are saying is that "you" dont like loud exhausts. Thus your opinion, which you are entitled to it 100%. Like I said, I will post a video when I get home from work and you all can "judge" the sound quality of my recording.
Are you seriously comparing the level of "stupidity" between paying money for making an exhaust leak vs modding your car?

People mod for different reasons, some for looks, some for sound, some for both of those and performance. Regardless, what someone can afford to pay is their business and isn't valid when trying to justify Jewing your car like you just did.

You aren't modding by doing this, you are degrading the car.

How old are you? Id guess young...
Old 09-19-2011, 06:48 AM
Z33Garage

Originally Posted by JCITY
If you are going to do this to make your exhaust "louder"(I can't understand why)
and want to be able to change it...get an old JC Whitney catalog.Weld on a exhaust
cut off--you can take the end plates off or,put some washers between the flanges and the caps.They were called,lakes pipes.If you really want to go retro ricer,find an old weld on cut out piece that had a flex cable running under the dash.You can open it
and get as loud as you want.
Hey,its your car.Sounds good to you..thats all that matters.
Yes, I actually bought my welder from Miami in the Z this weekend, and contemplated this. I ended up trying this mod, because of the fact that if it sucks, I can simply just remove the spacer.

That and I wouldnt have to deal with cops giving me crap about how "loud, or modified" my exhaust appears to them. The spacer adds just a bit more growl to the car, not a fart can loud. Thank you for understanding that all Im trying to do is share this...

[/QUOTE]Hey,its your car.Sounds good to you..thats all that matters.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-19-2011, 06:55 AM
Z33Garage

Are you seriously comparing the level of "stupidity" between paying money for making an exhaust leak vs modding your car?

People mod for different reasons, some for looks, some for sound, some for both of those and performance. Regardless, what someone can afford to pay is their business and isn't valid when trying to justify Jewing your car like you just did.

You aren't modding by doing this, you are degrading the car.

How old are you? Id guess young...
Coming from the SFL forums I know how "flame ready" everyones keyboards are now-a-days, so please just take this and any other post with a grain of salt and dont treat any "questionable idea" as a "So i just bought an ebay turbo.." thread.

Im 26 if you must know, and NO this isnt the first forum I visit, nor is the Z the first car, nor did my parents pay for it. I busted my *** paying all of the cars I have owned, and modded. Now that thats out of the way, the reason why I was comparing the 2 thoughts, as you pointed out, was because I started this thread with an Idea that someone gave me. So by your idea, I would be "jewing" my car If I buy the pipes, and weld an exhaust instead of try out a exhaust spacer? By your assumption of me being "young" I could also assume that you are really "OLD" not that either assumptions bring any real meaning to this thread or counter arguments.

So what I will do is go home, bet a flange and weld a 3 inch exhaust so I wont be so "young" in albertos eyes.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:58 AM
350zion
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this made me laugh the hardest!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:00 AM
green_bread

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why dont you just post up the video when you get home so we can all hear what it sounds like?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Id almost accept this ridiculous mindset if you were young. For the record I don't care how/who/when you got your car I wasn't asking to go down that path.

Simply put, you are too old for this $hit.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:06 AM
Z33Garage

Id almost accept this ridiculous mindset if you were young. For the record I don't care how/who/when you got your car I wasn't asking to go down that path.

Simply put, you are too old for this $hit.
I guess welding my own exhaust is newbish too...
I respect your opinion Al but I will stick to "ratrodding" my car when I can.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Z33Garage

Originally Posted by green_bread
Why dont you just post up the video when you get home so we can all hear what it sounds like?
I will, Im just trying to quench the fire here and there

Quick Reply: Make stock exhaust louder for $2.00