Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Question about Catback exhaust

Old 11-26-2011, 05:36 PM
sumroffun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Catback exhaust

I just purchased a 2009 370Z a week ago, the service engine light came on so I took it to the Nissan service department, they told me it I had Catback exhausts, thats why the car was reading a problem, the ar is only ready an error from one side of the exhaust though. Question is, I know custom exhausts will cause service engine light to come on, but if it only reads an error from one exhaust is that a issue i need to have looked into?
Old 11-26-2011, 05:40 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

There's no reason a cat-back exhaust should throw a code unless it was installed improperly. The O2 sensors are before and aft of the cats but before the flanges for the "cat back" section, i.e. pipes, resonators, muffler. If you have an air leak at the flange or you damage one of the O2 sensors installing the cat-back, then it's possible to throw a code.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:37 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There are no oxygen sensors AFTER the catalytic converter (or cat back).
Old 11-27-2011, 06:18 AM
sumroffun

So I'm guessing my best option would be to take it to a shop that works on customizing vehicles and installs exhaust to have them look at it? the dealership said they would have to put the original OEM's back on it, but I'm leaning toward keeping them on. If i do that it may void warrant on engine if that causes it to go bad.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:12 AM
davidv

I am surprised that Nissan did not work with you. Its a simple cat back exhaust - nothing complicated. Least they could do is read the code to identify the problem.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:10 PM
sumroffun

Nissan was more than helpful with the situation as much as they could be, considering the item wasn't factory and I was having it looked at under warranty. Nissan service man told me the code and explained everything he found, told me it was a catback that looked pretty close to OEM stock, and it read an error just on the passenger side, also told me the dealer i bought it from should fix it at there cost, he said if I would of bought it there the only thing he would be able to do is put the stocks back on at his cost.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:42 PM
IsDatIt

Originally Posted by sumroffun
Nissan was more than helpful with the situation as much as they could be, considering the item wasn't factory and I was having it looked at under warranty. Nissan service man told me the code and explained everything he found, told me it was a catback that looked pretty close to OEM stock, and it read an error just on the passenger side, also told me the dealer i bought it from should fix it at there cost, he said if I would of bought it there the only thing he would be able to do is put the stocks back on at his cost.
So what EXACTLY did he tell you he had to do to fix the problem? Did he at least tell you that?

If not, That is Complete Bull****, He is just being a d**k and didn't want to help you out? They Should've took care of you if it was just a slight quick fix.I know i Would have... Im a Technician for Nissan so I'm really really interested to see what Code he Pulled.Because No CatBack Would Throw a Code Just like That.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:43 PM
davidv

You asked a question then answered it.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:12 PM
sumroffun

Well I wish I would have taken my Nissan to your shop then, This guy was helpful, he said the code was like a 420 or E420 can't remember but I do know he said "it was only reading on the passenger side as an error code" and "he didn't know what exactly was causing it to read the code" he would have had to get under there and look around figure it out. yes he could of been nice and checked out the bolts and fitting for tightness and any leaks but he didnt.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:14 PM
sumroffun

Also your a Nissan dealer, would the fact that I have after market cat's have anything to do with the car's service engine light coming on, or is you think there is something a little off that needs adjusted?
Old 11-28-2011, 07:21 PM
IsDatIt

Also your a Nissan dealer, would the fact that I have after market cat's have anything to do with the car's service engine light coming on, or is you think there is something a little off that needs adjusted?
Whoa Whoa Whoa? You Never Said Anything about having HFC's? So You DO have HFC's paired with your exhaust?

You Should've Said that in the first Place lol

Im guessing the code is P0420 02 sensor failure.That Code comes out because the o2 sensor is reading differently than before.Obviously because of the Higher Flowing Catalytic Converters.

The Problem is Clearly NOT your Cat-back Exhaust.

Do This o2 Sensor Fix and Reset Your SES light and you should be Fine.

Last edited by IsDatIt; 11-28-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:16 PM
davidv

Could have told me this 48 hours ago. Did I mention the term oxygen sensor?
Old 11-29-2011, 08:14 AM
sumroffun

Well next time I will know to be specific about the question and what I have on the vehicle, thanks for the help on answering my questions. Nissan did the O2 sensor fix and reset the light, the service engine light has not came back on since. yes the code was P0420 now that you mentioned it. My concern was that it was reading error on passneger side and not both, would that be an issue or is it also normal for after markets to read like that?
Old 11-30-2011, 06:40 PM
qmoney06

Originally Posted by IsDatIt
Whoa Whoa Whoa? You Never Said Anything about having HFC's? So You DO have HFC's paired with your exhaust?

You Should've Said that in the first Place lol

Im guessing the code is P0420 02 sensor failure.That Code comes out because the o2 sensor is reading differently than before.Obviously because of the Higher Flowing Catalytic Converters.

The Problem is Clearly NOT your Cat-back Exhaust.

Do This o2 Sensor Fix and Reset Your SES light and you should be Fine.
I appreciate the link.

Last edited by qmoney06; 11-30-2011 at 06:42 PM.