Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Stillen Headers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 05:03 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, the Stillen looks so much cleaner, in terms of welds; and for less money too . WTF NISMO?!!!!
Old 12-31-2003, 05:20 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why are there plates welded on near the flange? does it rub the steering knuckle or something? makes me wonder.......
Old 12-31-2003, 05:31 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

The plates say.... "Legal for racing vehicles only which may never be used upon a highway" Talk about a disclaimer!!! You could pry them off as they are just spot welded with a couple spots.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:35 PM
ottonove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when will the headers for RHD available?
Old 12-31-2003, 05:36 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
The plates say.... "Legal for racing vehicles only which may never be used upon a highway" Talk about a disclaimer!!! You could pry them off as they are just spot welded with a couple spots.
I guess that answers the CARB exemption question
Old 12-31-2003, 05:46 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by failsafe
I guess that answers the CARB exemption question
Yea' pretty much what we said!! Doesn't look like they will even bother. At least you can't really see them...
Old 12-31-2003, 07:17 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by ottonove
Rite now all I know of available for RHD are NISMO Japan Headers, and Fujitsibo...

As far as stillen making a set... I dont mean to speak for them... But I dont emagine they have a RHD Z sittin around to fit them too...
Old 12-31-2003, 07:24 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ottonove
Central20
Fujitsubo
Esprit
Top Secret
HKS
Tommy Kaira
Mines
Pros Engineering
Veilside
ARC

Those are J-spec headers.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:31 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

you da man!
Old 01-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Mr Twisted

Stop playing car tennis!

I'd be willing to take up the challenge if I can get a set of headers at a developers price. I've always been a pro Stillen guy, I even wear their jacket to all events. I'd be interested in seeing HP gains on a moderately modded car(sig) All the guys at Stillen know my car, All the Guys at Performance know my car and half the people on the board know my car including HFM. As for independent dynoing I know HFM will except my dyno because we use the same dyno. So it seems we can really get a realistic #s to satisfy everones questions. By the way the car is 100% a/f tuned by Techo Square with all my modds. I have current dyno at 252 hp and a A/f at 12.8 across the board. Either Stillen or Performance can do the Install but Powertrain will do the Dyno. I'd be happy to see 6 HP with all my mods,I think 11 is asking to much, how about you HFM? BWT not betting for your $100 thats between you and Stillen just doing this out of curiosity and thats the only thing I haven't done to the car yet.

GT Factory "vertical" Diablo door conversion/ with leather door panels
Stillen Cat-back Dual exhaust
Stillen/AP 13.1 brakes front and Stillen OEM back Rotor All cross drilled & slotted
Tein Flex suspension with EDFC Dropped to 3 1/2" ground clearance
"Nismo" sway bars, oil & radiator caps, silver safety harness, floor mats, thermastat and SS mug
ADR M-Sport 18" 8.5 & 9.5 Hyper black
Michelin Pilot Sport S/A 245x40x18 f/275x35x18r
Random Tech Hi flo Cats , Injen Cai
3 M Clear Bra nose, mirrors and lip spoiler by Envisage Design
Clifford 6000 intellaguard Alarm
Strickly Z ss Air guide & polished Plenum, EZ comfort armrest,
ZPresence painted "Candy Apple Red" engine covers, air guide and caps
InSaNeAmine"Smoke" Grounding Kit, Ichibahn Red/SS braided hose dress up kit
S 2000 stubby antenna, JIC polished and trimmed front strut Bar
UR Red 3 pulley set /w Stillen Belts
Techno Square RT ECU upgrade
Modern Image Custom Stripeing
A little more to come. Ultimate Mod..04
Super Black Base to build on....

If your going to own it "show it"

www.ssashooter.com Gun racing at it's finest.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:53 AM
hfm

Originally posted by Mr Twisted
I'd be happy to see 6 HP with all my mods,I think 11 is asking to much, how about you HFM? BWT not betting for your $100 thats between you and Stillen just doing this out of curiosity and thats the only thing I haven't done to the car yet.
I would be very interested to see what gains show on your Z since you have set-up and horse power reasonably close to mine.

I understand you're not wanting to take the bet. I believe Yuichi also passed on the bet. I think I'm going to withdraw the bet at this time. It was offered to challenge Stillen but with the way Alex has been responding to all the criticism as a professional, I don't think the bet is appropriate or necessary.

If you get this done on a weekend, let me know and I'll join you since I have to redyno my car with this new motor. And, I think you're right, 4-6 hp when you have highflows and exhaust already installed is the ballpark.
Old 01-01-2004, 05:17 PM
Mr Twisted

6 HP would be respectable since the car breathing is at optimum at this point. But if they could get more in this acid test that would sell a lot of tubing. And I know you and I would write appropriate post to the outcome.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:43 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Default Re: Re: Multiple Baseline Runs - HP

Originally posted by hfm
Well, I must admit, you're very good about posting dynos. Frankly, I hope you get independent support for your dynos seeing how well you've been taking the criticism.
Given numerous people have used Stillen's Dyno (including SportZ's shootout, Stillen Days, etc) why is everyone so down on their dyno vs an independant? This dyno's history is out there.. and obviously from their posts of runs, its consistant within itself. Which is the true matter to be worried about. Only thing that matters would be how they run it.

And to ask a vendor (who bought and pays for their own dyno) to goto someone else's dyno.. well isn't that just being pretty self-centered? They bought the dyno, and damn straight they are going to use their own dyno.

And as for the bashing.. Stillen comes on here.. not only posts a dyno.. but posts NUMEROUS itterations.. including EVERY combination people have asked for so far.. give them some credit.

Now is this the same as a independant buyer on his own dyno? No.. and I'll be happy to see those when they are ready, but in terms of what you're going to get from the vendor.. what else can we expect? This is great input from Stillen.

And as for your bet.. and saying 'as my open bet still proves' (paraphrasing there) just days after you open it.. it ain't a free $100.. people have to pay for the labor of headers and BUY the headers.. this isn't an exhaust swap!

[Edit: after reading the last page of the thread.. tones were alot better.. but you have to see why no one will want to post dynos, etc.. when they do they get slammed or 'called out'!]

Last edited by flynnibus; 01-02-2004 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:18 PM
hfm

Default Re: Re: Re: Multiple Baseline Runs - HP

Originally posted by flynnibus
...why is everyone so down on their dyno vs an independant? This dyno's history is out there...
Because Stillen is a manufacturer. We learn in first year contracts that "puffery" in an advertisement is legally allowed. Therefore, any evidence of gains coming from any manufacturer is suspect until proven by an independent test. Take for example, dynos for the stock Z. Our stock Zs do not appear to make 287 hp despite Nissan's claim.

And as for your bet.. and saying 'as my open bet still proves' (paraphrasing there) just days after you open it.. it ain't a free $100.. people have to pay for the labor of headers and BUY the headers.. this isn't an exhaust swap!
I don't understand your point here. I understand it's not free money and that people have to pay for labor and for the part. I made the bet because I don't believe the claim. It was an adversarial challenge and a chance for someone who wanted to buy the headers, install them and obtain dynos to win a $100 bet.

While it was not meant to be anything other than a demand for proof, it was a critical challenge. So, I withdrew that bet because Alex has handled many posts, including mine, tactfully and professionally.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Mr Twisted

I've Dynoed at Sillen in fact on Dyno Day at their open house. It was a wet ugly day, a mine was the last to dyno before they stopped. They claimed to hear pinging and it dyno at 245.1 hp 238.5tq , three days later nothing way changed except dry day I redynoed at Powertrain and got 252.6hp 243.2 Tq . The reason I when back to my dyno was to get A/F numbers which Stillen didn't provide. So our independent shop should make Stillen look better if anything. I think what is bothering HFM and me is that we had( 9 stock to heavly modded Z) not dyno as high as the "Bone stock Z" The numbers look about 20 HP to high and that is what bothers me. Not the increase gain but the baseline.

If Stillen takes the challenge I'm sure well be dynoing on their dyno and comparing it with ours. If the spread is the same(+or- a HP) them all is right in the world . A confirmed independent test can be harder to dispute..

BWT Injen owns their dyno Too. Get somebody that has no axe to grind do the test.

Last edited by Mr Twisted; 01-02-2004 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:01 PM
flynnibus
Z Flier

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Multiple Baseline Runs - HP

Originally posted by hfm
Take for example, dynos for the stock Z. Our stock Zs do not appear to make 287 hp despite Nissan's claim.
Point me to a engine dyno of our Z.. or even an 'independant' engine dyno of our Z. From our baselines we can only estimate what we think the engine is doing.. and none of us know the true drivetrain loss for our car.. so its all speculation. I'm not saying the car *IS* 287 delivered.. I'm just saying there is more proof here to Stillen's claims then there is either way about your comment.

Originally posted by hfm
I don't understand your point here. I understand it's not free money and that people have to pay for labor and for the part. I made the bet because I don't believe the claim.
Yes, and acting like no one is taking you up on it.. a mear matter of days later... as a counterpoint to Stillen's claims is pretty absurd given the level of commitment someone need to 'take you up' on your bet.

Originally posted by hfm
So, I withdrew that bet because Alex has handled many posts, including mine, tactfully and professionally.
Good tact. I think this thread is a prime example of good vendor input.. and uncontrollable skeptisim on the part of members which turns into borderline abuse. I'm glad it turned back towards a mutal discussion in the last few pages.

I'm not saying people should believe people's ads.. but when someone takes the time to engage the user community, they should be encouraged.. not slammed. Don't agree with everything you read.. but don't run the guy out of town either!
Old 01-02-2004, 10:19 PM
hfm

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Multiple Baseline Runs - HP

Point me to a engine dyno of our Z.. or even an 'independant' engine dyno of our Z. From our baselines we can only estimate what we think the engine is doing.. and none of us know the true drivetrain loss for our car.. so its all speculation. I'm not saying the car *IS* 287 delivered.. I'm just saying there is more proof here to Stillen's claims then there is either way about your comment.

Yes, and acting like no one is taking you up on it.. a mear matter of days later... as a counterpoint to Stillen's claims is pretty absurd given the level of commitment someone need to 'take you up' on your bet.

Good tact. I think this thread is a prime example of good vendor input.. and uncontrollable skeptisim on the part of members which turns into borderline abuse. I'm glad it turned back towards a mutal discussion in the last few pages.

I'm not saying people should believe people's ads.. but when someone takes the time to engage the user community, they should be encouraged.. not slammed. Don't agree with everything you read.. but don't run the guy out of town either!
I'm drunk. But, I'll say this at this moment. Do a search. BJ has done 3 dynos at the crank on his engines and he races his cars. None of them did 287. My comment is researched.

If you want the bet, I'll double it for you. $200 if you want to take the bet.

I have nothing more to say.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:34 PM
hfm

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Multiple Baseline Runs - HP

Actually, I do have something more to say. I did a very quick search. And, I have no idea why you're saying what you are saying. When I'm sobber in the morning, I'll do a detailed search. In the meanwhile...I'll take what you say at face value.

If I'm wrong about this, I will give you my apology. If I'm right, expect to be ripped.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:51 AM
hfm

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Multiple Baseline Runs - HP

Sobber. I've done a little more searching and find nothing bad about you. In fact, your posts are helpful, knowledgable and appear to be unbiased.

I should not have jumped on your opinion. In fact, I did exactly what you were saying people shouldn't do, slam someone for their contribution. Drunk or not, that was a mistake on my part.

Flynnibus, I am very sorry, please accept my apology.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:05 AM
islandsnow

Alex,

how much is stillen charging for install?

thanks

Quick Reply: Stillen Headers!!!