Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

87mmFT Throttle Body Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Epstein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sectioned a stock manifold to see what was inside. Will post pics later. The opening of the neck (where the throttle body mounts) is 72mm, but it tapers to 70mm just beyond the opening. The minimum wall thickness that I've found is 3.3mm. I don't think you'd be able to make any real improvement on the stock neck because of the thickness and the access.

Also FYI, the CLR of this turn is pretty tight. Also consider that turbulent, post TB air is having to make this turn.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:23 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by Epstein
I sectioned a stock manifold to see what was inside. Will post pics later. The opening of the neck (where the throttle body mounts) is 72mm, but it tapers to 70mm just beyond the opening. The minimum wall thickness that I've found is 3.3mm. I don't think you'd be able to make any real improvement on the stock neck because of the thickness and the access.

Also FYI, the CLR of this turn is pretty tight. Also consider that turbulent, post TB air is having to make this turn.
I need to pull off my Kinetix V+ off and measure the specs of the bend. Hopefully it's a better setup, if not ill cut the elbow off an OEM upper and fab away.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Epstein

Please do!

Here are the pics that I promised. The second is most telling. While the inside radius looks like you might expect, the outside wall doesn't take as gradual a path. This is not an illusion. The cut is pretty accurately made parallel to the plane of the bend, with the help of the parting lines / casting marks.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:55 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so no DBW issues with the 75mm tb? just pnp once you have the pigtail and adapter plate?

very cool to see this advancing!!
Old 11-28-2012, 04:39 PM
2bad240

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
so no DBW issues with the 75mm tb? just pnp once you have the pigtail and adapter plate?

yup been driving mine for about 1600 miles now. i didnt use adapter plate though i slotted the holes it might not be a pretty but it worked.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:54 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so i guess no leaks just by slotting the holes? what gasket did you use? Z or Max?

wonder why you cant just wire in the ls 90mm if we have the wiring diagrams then. What were the titan guys doing with Uprev. Theres not much available to do in terms of TB tuning within uprev.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

I would seriously consider this if I still had my 350z, but after seeing that cut away, I would probably cut the neck completely off, put in a 3 inch mandrel pipe to replace the neck and widen the spot where the pipe merges in and just weld on a plate to bolt the TB on without an adapter
Old 11-29-2012, 06:13 AM
Epstein

Originally Posted by Classy
I would seriously consider this if I still had my 350z, but after seeing that cut away, I would probably cut the neck completely off, put in a 3 inch mandrel pipe to replace the neck and widen the spot where the pipe merges in and just weld on a plate to bolt the TB on without an adapter
You'll want to go bigger than 3" pipe. The 3 inches is the OD. If your bend is 16ga, the ID will only be 2.875" or 73mm. That's not a whole lot better than the 70mm ID that is already there. I have some 3.5" 16ga bends that I'm looking to use. The transition is the tricky part. There's not a lot of height to work where you pass over the mounting flange.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:50 AM
juicinjake

Originally Posted by str8dum1

ive got a video of the throttle body off the intake and plugged into the harness so that you can see it working.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:55 AM
juicinjake

Originally Posted by Epstein
You'll want to go bigger than 3" pipe. The 3 inches is the OD. If your bend is 16ga, the ID will only be 2.875" or 73mm. That's not a whole lot better than the 70mm ID that is already there. I have some 3.5" 16ga bends that I'm looking to use. The transition is the tricky part. There's not a lot of height to work where you pass over the mounting flange.
i used a 3.5" tube, 16 ga stainless, for my setup. i highly recommend going this route. from the research i did, the maxima guys had the best gains when they used a single sized tube all the way from velocity stack to throttle body. my 09 is ported on the inlet, so my inlet matches the 3.37" ID of the tubing i used quite well. the velocity stack i used also has the same thickness as the material so its a seemless fit. i maintained the stock intake runner length and used a stock style k&n filter in a heavily modified 350z airbox. i tried to retain the components and parameters that nissan got right and just increase the ID of the system.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Epstein

I've also thought about using a stock airbox with my own velocity stack and a stock-style filter. Any notes on this? I haven't actually opened the box and measured yet. Simply increasing overall ID and not re-engineering everything on the planet is my goal as well.

Were you able to find a MAFS housing that matched, too?
Old 12-20-2012, 10:52 PM
juicinjake

i just welded a gtm bung to my tube... a maf housing is just another piece of the puzzle that complicates everything.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Fixxxercask

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sub'd. Interesting stuff here....
Old 01-19-2013, 02:38 PM
CLyons0203

Where them dyno's at? Does the power still drop off a cliff after 6200 rpm?
Old 02-25-2013, 05:42 PM
titanss

The 87MM is not dead, just on the back burner, the builder has been working out of town and the test mule had a busted tranny. Hope to have this back on the stove in a few weeks.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:50 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Pulled my Kinetix V+ off the other day to replace my cracked fuel rail. Will the elbow is much bigger than the OEM upper. I think the bigger throttle body will work well with it.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Fixxxercask

Titanss. Were you involved in that mega long thread on the titan forum where they we able to use the 90mm LS7 TB? I read through that entire thread and got a lot of good info. Me and another member on here are really wanting to do this to our Z's. Our cars are both track dedicated so we are willing to hack anything up to make it work. We have a fabricator that can make everything, we just need to figure out the electrical part of it. We were going to use 4" pipe all the way and even hack the end of the plenum off and somehow mate the 4" pipe to it. We feel this will gain the most power since there will be no restrictions.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Fixxxercask

OK. I just read through this whole thread again. There were a couple of the guys in the this thread that were involved with the making of the 90mm setup on the titans. I see that the original idea of this thread has dissipated. Although we are all still trying to fit a larger throttle body onto our cars somehow. Getting them to fit is the least concern to me. We can all get something fabbed up by someone. I am more concerned about what needs edited/changed/modified in the ROM to make this work. It appears that it is mainly in the voltages and tweaking that. I know this has been done on the Titan and I know it will work on the Z. Further back in the thread the guy that did the Titans was on here talking about getting ready to do the Z now. Never heard anything back. I am no electronics guru, but I would love to see this work and help out a few folks in the process try to make some more power. If we cannot get anymore traction on this, I may consider trying to tackle this. My car is track only, so I am wiling to "hack up" what I need to make things fit. If anyone has anymore info or details on what is all done in this ROM, I would appreciate it.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:22 PM
juicinjake

ive had a ported 09 maxima setup with a custom 3.5" intake that i built running for a while now. if you are using the stock plenum you are going to have to get radical with the turn around as the thread holes start around 82-83mm. i dont even think there is enough material to port out to 90mm in some spots. i ported the entire turn around area to 76mm all the way from the throttle body adapter through into the plenum. i saw 10% airflow gains over stock on my setup. the 87-90mm thing isnt going to be worth it unless you a) have cams (sasha proved this but im too lazy to dig up the thread) and b) if you have either a carbotron or some other custom/highly modifid plenum. there are some pics floating around of the stuff sasha did to a stock plenum, where they cut the back off it and added a lot of volume and a cleaner turn around for a large throttle body. they said it performed within a few hw of the cf plenum they had. if you want na power and simplicity, do the maxima swap, get the inlet velocity stack ported, and then do a full 3.5" diameter. retuning to make this run the right afr took me maybe 10 minutes in the driveway, the first time, doing real time tuning and then saving those changes and reflashing the rom. i think by the time you do the carbotron/90mm deal you might as well have bought itb's. just mho though...
Old 03-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Fixxxercask

Thanks for the advice/info. About the plenum, I agree totally. I do not want to restrict the piping at all before it hits the plenum. The other member that I am working on this with has a guy at his work that can fab anything and he will be making some custom plenum setup for us based off the stock one. I wish there was room to just bring the TB and piping to the front of the engine rather than the back. I don't like that elbow in the intake setup.

I have read all through SG's setup with their awesome Carbotron plenum. I would buy one, but I am sure they're insanely expensive.

Are you using a DBW setup with your big TB?

Quick Reply: 87mmFT Throttle Body Anyone?