Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Motordyne ART pipe and XYZ review + Module test

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 08:12 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Motordyne ART pipe and XYZ review + Module test

After many months of research and investigation, trying to confirm the reports, dynos and information I was seeing, I found that, not only were the stock cats on the 350z, very restrictive, but that the y-pipe was also very poorly designed/constructed as well.

As you can see, it’s made with sharp crush bends and a nasty cast style merge point.

The dynos I was looking at, showed some excellent gains, both for the cat replacements (ART pipes) and the y-pipe replacement (XYZ pipe)
Fancy Helmholtz technology on the ART pipes and a specifically tuned merge point (along with proper mandrel bends and merge collector) to maximize the power and torque.

This all looked like marketing crap, but the dynos were being shown from independent tests and all same day, this was promising.

I went ahead and called Tony at Motordyne Engineering, quite honestly one of the nicest people I’ve ever talked to, and I’m not just referring to people trying to sell me things.
I went through what I was trying to do, freeing up some power and restrictions from the stock exhaust, hoping to get an improved exhaust note whilst I was at it.

I had already bought and fitted the Motordyne 5/16th spacer, but not directly from Motordyne. I was very impressed with this for various reasons, it made me look at Motordyne a little closer.

I have to say I was a little excited when this box arrived at my door

I went ahead and ordered the ART pipes and the XYZ pipe. The XYZ comes with 3 fitting options, depending on what you want to do;

1) Straight pipe – normal fitting for people running cats or just wanting no restriction
2) Resonator fitting – helping cut down things like rasp and hiss if the rest of your exhaust has problems
3) High flow cat – Obviously if you’re running test pipes/de-cats, then you might want this.

My tuner had told me that moving the cat further downstream in the exhaust was beneficial so this made sense to me, I wasn’t too bothered about running a completely straight through system, it’s nice to be a little environmentally conscious sometimes

So I picked up the resonator and the HFC option, the Motordyne exhausts are V-Band connectors, which if you’ve never heard/seen the option before, look them up, best things for exhausts ever! Anyway, this made it nice and easy to change out the options depending on how I was feeling.

Packaging from really very good, but I’m going to throw a curveball here, it took me longer than I wanted to get in the darn box!!! It was so well packaged, that there were huge box staples all round the edges. There is no way, even with exhausts in the box, that anything is coming out of here, it’s like a challenge to UPS!!

I don’t usually go for branded stuff like this, but the subtle logo looks pretty cool.

Luckily, this is the ‘flat’ style cap, so my small head doesn’t look so stupid in it

Anyway, onto the real deal, again, despite being packed well inside the box, the individual parts were also wrapped very well.

All bags and fitting parts included, even included extra nuts and bolts just in case.

This stuff really is a work of art sometimes (now I can’t use that pun on the ART pipe pics ) The high flow cat.

The v-band end.

The honeycomb inside.

Again, fantastic looks and a nice touch with the logo on the side of the resonator module.

Resonator module.

The XYZ pipe itself, a closer merge point than the stock unit, allowing more power, more torque and the option of the modules pictured above.

Very high quality parts, better quality flex joints than most systems and great welding.

V-band and high quality welding.

Nice smooth exit for the exhaust gases from the internal pipe liner.

Finally, the really fancy pieces of ART (I lied – puntastic )

The Advanced Resonance Tuning pipes utilize Helmholtz resonators (the large bulbs) to tune out the rasp and some extra volume that is associated with normal test pipes or de-cats. They also give the exhaust a very low, yet subtle note. The after affect of this is actually a good increase in power and torque, over not just normal test pipes, but the stock cats as well!

The Install

I finally got some reasonable weather got out there to install the new parts.

Here’s the completely stock system on the car.

Anyone who’s had to remove the stock cats for any reason, talks about huge extensions and having to undo some of the nuts from the top of the engine bay, this is no lie.

This is a view from underneath the car, a 14mm deep 6 sided socket, a universal joint and about three to four feet of extensions coming through from the very front of the car at the top.

Other than using the wrong (multipoint) socket on the y-pipe to mid section, then having to grind the nut off because it rounded, the rest of the removal went pretty smoothly. A good 6 sided socket and half inch tools work wonders.

Here’s the first shot of the ART pipes from underneath as we’re bolting them up, the clutch slave cylinder is the rubber part to the lower right of the shot. I’ll be bleeding that in the near future.

Here you can see up to the rusty manifold from underneath the engine and the primary wideband sensor in gold.

Take note at the top left of the picture, see that flange? See how it’s not lined up? I didn’t I had to loosen and re-tighten this later to stop a hissing noise

The ART pipe all bolted up, the cat brace attached and the o2 sensor inserted.

Here’s the view back from the ART pipes, the XYZ pipe with the HFC module attached via v-band.

The whole ART and XYZ setup installed, you can see more clearly where I messed up the flange on the left.

Fitment
I have to say, 100% - If only it was idiot proof, make sure you do the obvious, and line up flanges when fitting No clearance issues anywhere, no problems with missing bolts or wondering how it goes together.

Quality
Every weld, bend and fitted part was flawless, I expect it for the price, but it’s really nice to actually have NO concerns when it arrived, or when fitting.

Design/Look
There is no second guessing the design, both parts have been independently tested and confirmed to make the power/torque based on the design. The quality really helps it all come together in a very nice looking package.

Sound
So here there is good and bad
The good part is, with the windows down, there is a clearly marked difference in the style of the sound, there is a really nice/subtle throatiness mid RPM.

The bad part is two-fold:
1) With the windows up, there isn’t *too* much volume change from stock.
2) I found my voice recorder to be broken, so I haven’t got sound clips yet.

Other thoughts…
I almost immediately noticed extra peppiness in the lower RPM, I honestly didn’t think I’d feel anything, certainly not daily driving.
With the HFC module, there is a slight hiss from under the car on hard acceleration or on high revving medium acceleration, to be honest, it sounds like a little turbo, it’s not bad but I understand it to be caused by the stock mid pipe.
The engine does seem to rev more freely, especially higher up in the revs.

I’m very happy with the whole thing, sound has changed for the better, engine feels more lively and I’ve got improvement lower down where I use the car every day.
In all seriousness, I’ve nearly saved enough to order the Shockwave TDX V2, that’s getting reviewed next

I know these threads are pretty sad without sounds, for that I apologise. The good news is, I think I have something to record the sound on now *AND* I will be using a proper stereo condenser mic so we can all hear the top quality sounds Motordyne put out.

I will update this thread with the recordings soon, I will be recording the HFC module, and the resonator module and giving further feedback on that one.
I want to get it done as much as you guys want to hear it.

Let me know any questions or any tests i might be able to do.

http://www.motordyneengineering.com

EDIT/UPDATE

Sound observation and recording notes:

This is the resonated module option.

The Resonator option sounds very similar to the HFC option. There is a slight increase in 'gruffness' with the resonator, the volumes between the two are about the same.
Bear in mind, this is recorded about ten feet from the car, it doesn't sound much louder than stock from within the car, but it does have a certain something whilst driving that the stock system does not.

This was recorded with a stereo condenser mic, the sound and bass of the recording is a pretty accurate representation. I'll stress again, that the volume, compared to stock is not much louder, so don't come away from the video thinking it's really loud.

http://youtu.be/di1BWC8UWxA

Last edited by F2CMaDMaXX; 04-29-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nicely done. in for sound clips

sorry that the sound isn't as loud as you expected
Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 PM
gonZo50Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably shouldn't expect too much sound change with that bulky stock muffler. Here is my thread (similar setup but with the TopSpeed 3') if you want to compare.
ART/XYZ/TOP
If that is too much for you, you might want to look at the Nismo S-Tune. I see you are considering the TDX2, but last time I checked, it doesn't leave room for the XYZ modules. That was the only reason I didn't go full Motordyne. I think one of the older versions did leave room for the module, but is no longer made.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

looks good and a good right up... I did the same thing for a while until my Greddy Spectrum arrived. Here's what mine sounds like with the Spectrum Elite.

http://youtu.be/_PdLf0GWUeU
Old 04-26-2012, 03:22 AM
ndelgro

Originally Posted by gonZo50Z
I see you are considering the TDX2, but last time I checked, it doesn't leave room for the XYZ modules. That was the only reason I didn't go full Motordyne. I think one of the older versions did leave room for the module, but is no longer made.
My understanding is that you can order the TDX Shockwave V2 exhaust without the Y-pipe for a few hundred dollars credit. Then you can be full Motordyne.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:16 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Thanks for the comments, all.

I am ordering the Shockwave system, i obviously don't need the XYZ and no you can't use the XYZ modules.

You can, however, get Shockwave modules, i'll be getting the HFC version and the straight through version for the Shockwave

Definitely getting the sound recording done before i get the Shockwave though, this was a nice upgrade, as mentioned, the only personal downpoint, was expecting a little more volume. But that's why the TDX exists

I'd do this again if i had to, not disappointed.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:03 AM
TK7

Excellent review! Can't wait for good audio! Thanks!!
Old 04-27-2012, 05:38 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Yeah, hoping to get something this weekend if all pans out.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Sickboy101

Received 87 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice write up... Great review.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:02 PM
rich2342

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
Thanks for the comments, all.

I am ordering the Shockwave system, i obviously don't need the XYZ and no you can't use the XYZ modules.

You can, however, get Shockwave modules, i'll be getting the HFC version and the straight through version for the Shockwave

Definitely getting the sound recording done before i get the Shockwave though, this was a nice upgrade, as mentioned, the only personal downpoint, was expecting a little more volume. But that's why the TDX exists

I'd do this again if i had to, not disappointed.

So you basically wasted money ? Does the v2 shockwave sell as mid-pipe back if you already have the xyz?
Old 04-27-2012, 06:21 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Hmm, i don't think i wasted money, but you're right, i will no longer need the module add-ons.

I wasn't sure about the Shockwave to begin with, but i'm very happy with the results MD said i'd get and what i can do with it now. I've also heard more samples of the Shockwave, really looking forward to it now.
I should also probably add that i couldn't afford it previously, spare money is very tight this year so i've been saving.

Yes, Motordyne can sell whichever part(s) you require, just email or call them up.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:14 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Sound recorded from the resonator module tonight, no HFC module recording yet. Have to cut the sound file to the video if i can. Vid's nothing but the back of the car, but people like to see something
Old 04-29-2012, 07:10 AM
MM'08_350Z

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts

Love this Exhaust!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:59 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

I have to apologise, i didn't get chance to record the HFC version yet, this is the resonated version.

Sound observation and recording notes:

The Resonator option sounds very similar to the HFC option. There is a slight increase in 'gruffness' with the resonator, the volumes between the two are about the same.
Bear in mind, this is recorded about ten feet from the car, it doesn't sound much louder than stock from within the car, but it does have a certain something whilst driving that the stock system does not.

This was recorded with a stereo condenser mic, the sound and bass of the recording is a pretty accurate representation. I'll stress again, that the volume, compared to stock is not much louder, so don't come away from the video thinking it's really loud.

http://youtu.be/di1BWC8UWxA
Old 04-29-2012, 07:49 PM
rich2342

For the HFC, did you get any gurgle on decel/downshift? That all went missing when i installed the Resonator module
Old 04-29-2012, 07:56 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Possibly due to my stock mid and rear muffler, i won't really get that on either module, the rear muffler is multi chamber, it tends to suppress that effect.

Cats will usually burn up any remaining fuel in the exhaust.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:03 AM
JaE35z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great review...i've had the pleasure of hearing this setup in person with tdx2 v1 and v2...they both sound amazing
Old 04-30-2012, 12:22 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Thanks And good news, because i'm getting the TDX2 V2 ASAP
Old 05-10-2013, 11:28 PM
freddys 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did the HFC do a good job of getting rid of the smell? running art pipes with strait pipe, and the smell is getting to me.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:27 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Yes, you can't smell the difference from regular to the HFC's.

Quick Reply: Motordyne ART pipe and XYZ review + Module test