Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Motordyne TDX V2 Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:17 PM
footballmania32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Motordyne TDX V2 Fitment

Hey guys,

Yesterday I received my TDX V2 from Motordyne and installed it on my G35 coupe. Before I get to the meat of my issues, a mini review. As said before by many, the sound is absolutely breathtaking. I mean, MY GOD, it is a beast! It sounds so exotic, so aggressive, so clean! And the added power is amazing as well!! This is my first ever aftermarket exhaust, and the biggest purchase I've made for my G. It was worth EVERY penny. Props to Tony for a fantastic product and being so friendly despite my continuous phone calls!

Now onto my issue. I bought a brand new XYZ pipe w/ a straight pipe module on the private classifieds several months back. After installing it, I ran into a issue where the driveshaft U joint was making contact with the straight pipe flange that connected to the OEM midpipe. I decided to take a grinder to it and modify the flange so it would clear. Ultimately, I only took off about 1/4 inch maybe less and the issue never came up again. Upon installing the exhaust, the V2 resonator module that replaces the straight pipe module has become the next subject of the driveshafts onslaught. The spinning driveshaft is now hitting the top of the resonator and I'm assuming has mildly damaged it or made a small depression in the housing. Because of that, now there is a little less noise and vibration, but it is still there. Secondly, the passenger side primary on the XYZ pipe is contacting and vibrating up against the transmission support brace above it. You can feel both of these issues in the floor board of the car and more so hear it. Lastly, the passenger side midpipe that goes over the sway bar is literally sitting on the sway bar. There is zero clearance here. While driving, the movement in the suspension is causing a metal on metal squeak which is VERY annoying. I'm thinking about possibly spacing the sway bar down a bit to aid in clearance. However, I'm not sure if this would put added stress on the end links. Can anyone chime in and let me know what could be causing all these issues? When speaking with Tony awhile back about the XYZ straight pipe issue, he mentioned it could be vehicle to vehicle variances on engine placement and such. I don't believe it is the exhaust itself, because MD has a fantastic reputation for perfect fitment. I think this is a very isolated issue, and my hunch is it may be the XYZ pipe. Tony did confirm from pictures that the XYZ version I have is a very old design. However, any help or suggestions you guys could provide would be very much appreciated!

-Sean
Old 05-11-2012, 10:04 PM
juicinjake

well this was the first v-band exhaust i had ever installed. i will say that i appreciate the v-band setup because it doesnt leak, its quick to service, there are no gaskets, etc. that said, it is hard to get everything to line up right the first few times. im not crazy about not having firmly mounted tips either... i thought i had it all on there right the first time and ended up with a clearance issue the first go at it. i fixed it by loosening the clamp and rotating. all i am trying to say is that its not the easiest exhaust to install. this is due to the inherent variability in the v-band design.

my honest guess at this is that you have something on there upside down. perhaps that first section with the x-pipe/muffler piece on it that connects after the xyz pipe. it looks like it would be the same either way but trust me it has an up and a down orientation. i had it upside down at first and nothing was going on right. once i flipped it over, everything else fell into place (well, sort of lol). the only place where i had any clearance issues at all was the passenger side rear section pipe with the resonator on it. it gets really close to part of the frame (subframe mount i believe) and the swaybar itself. your best bet is to continue to consult tony. he stands behind his stuff and will go out of his way to help you out. you might get a better response from people on here if you post pictures. those of us that have installed one of these before might be able to see exactly what it is that you've done wrong. good luck to you!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:31 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

No pics or vids
Old 05-11-2012, 11:00 PM
footballmania32

The driver side setup took me about 30 minutes with a friend to get it setup right. The passenger took forever. I tried everything to help with clearance. I can try to wiggle it around again to see if maybe something is a few degrees off. I hope that's the issue with the sway bar problem. However, with the resonator module.. it only fits one way. I thought it could be the same thing but the male/female connections only fit one way.

I'll snap some pictures tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:17 AM
juicinjake

the passenger side took me a long time too. i thought i had it right and was reasonably satisfied with it but after driving around it began to make noise on startup, rattling on the suspension. it would only do it at a certain rpm... i loosened the clamp and moved the pipe and its been perfect ever since. just keep messing with it. u will get it.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:23 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Call me so we can go over fitment. Depending on exactly how old your XYZ is, it may be the prior generation design (~2008) which is slightly different than the current one designed for the TDX2.

As for contacting the sway bar, its easy to fix. Rotate that midpipe tube ~15 degrees counter clockwise. You will see that it increases clearance.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:18 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking forward to the pics. Really looking forward to mine arriving for that sound!!
Old 05-12-2012, 10:47 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

cant wait to buy another car for DD so I can buy mine.. FML. I imagine it will be redonk loud at 16 psi, so Im certainly not driving that around daily.

The things my Z makes me do.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:52 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Turbo or SC?

Mine is a DD but not FI.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:39 PM
footballmania32

Thanks Tony. I'll try that ASAP. I also, took some pictures. I'm in the process of uploading them now.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:57 PM
footballmania32

Here are the pictures of the XYZ touching the transmission support brace. This is only happening on the passenger side. The driver side has much more clearance. They arent the best pictures due to the fact that I don't have access to my floor jack at the moment.

Name:  5876fd39e64d.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  23.3 KB
Name:  537020879659.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  36.4 KB

And I took a video showing the driveshaft issue. I couldn't get any good pictures for the life of me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzyzbPYKbUE
Old 05-16-2014, 07:14 AM
MicntaeG35

I'm gonna revive a dead thread to save on starting a new one. I own an 05 g35 and I have the motordyne TDX V2 w/ ART pipes. I'm thinking about buying a 370z and wanted to know if my exhaust from my G will fit the 370. I tried searching but no luck ( unless I looked something).
Old 05-16-2014, 07:18 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

Originally Posted by MicntaeG35
I'm gonna revive a dead thread to save on starting a new one. I own an 05 g35 and I have the motordyne TDX V2 w/ ART pipes. I'm thinking about buying a 370z and wanted to know if my exhaust from my G will fit the 370. I tried searching but no luck ( unless I looked something).
i doubt it, below are pics of stock 370 and 350 exhaust

Old 05-16-2014, 07:22 AM
MicntaeG35

I'm talking about taking my Motordyne exhaust off my G and putting it on the 370.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:25 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by MicntaeG35
I'm talking about taking my Motordyne exhaust off my G and putting it on the 370.
i know that, if it is the g35 it will look like the z exhaust, i am sure that there is going to be a big difference on how they are run and how it mounts
Old 05-16-2014, 07:27 AM
MicntaeG35

Oh ok. Well I guess I might try and call Tony at Motordyne and get his input. Just wanted to see if I could get some input on here first. Thanks for the quick response!
Old 05-16-2014, 07:46 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

No, it wont fit. They are configured differently.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:48 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
there ya go..... direct from the man himself
Old 05-16-2014, 03:26 PM
MicntaeG35

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
In the pictures it looks almost like the one for the G (but at at the same time a bit different) so is there any way to mix n match parts cause I really don't want to fork out another $2k on this fantastic exhaust ha
Old 05-16-2014, 04:45 PM
350zsunshinefl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just sell it on the forums, get a 370 unit - no headaches.

and better yet, get a GTR instead of a 370

Quick Reply: Motordyne TDX V2 Fitment