Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Custom anodized aluminium plenum spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 04:12 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The $100-$150 mark is the "sweet spot" for selling a mod to the average tuner crowd. Even high school kids can save up that much money and get excited about buying it, so your market for potential buyers is pretty large at that point.

Good luck!
Old 06-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

op, curious how you kept the strut bar rust free?
Old 06-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Wasso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Anodized. Anodizing.

If you want to sell it, spell it correctly.
Sorry I try my hardest to work with American language, like Color and Colour, Anodised and Anodized. I had used correct term in my first post but it's not that easy remembering lol.

Agreed Sparkle its a win win situation - problem is the amount of Z's (We call them Zed's (Alberto)) is far lesser than that of the States, so it won't make me rich but line my pocket for my SC build.

@ Voboy - I use a steel lacquer, around $15 a can.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:10 PM
FATPUBUS

Originally Posted by Wasso
Going SC hopefully soon (once the chap in classifieds responds to my mail) so if it affects temps it'll be taken off.

As long as you've got the right setup, cooling and breather modifications, intake temps shouldn't be an issue.

Agreed with Sparkle, THE most popular mod is the plenum spacer. If its cheaper and does the job of a Motordyne then superb. It will even look right sat between the plenum. I know my spacer has become grubby in 2.5 years and needs a facelift. I've started to become **** with my engine bay and always looking at bits that make it look messy. Here's where I'm at so far.... (this is my 3rd engine bay colour theme lol)

And you can see my grubby spacer. Now if that was anodised red, perfect!

Nice bay!
Old 06-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like there is enough interest for you to do this OP.

Be advised that you will need to be a forum sponsor in order to offer this for sale on the forum though

Originally Posted by Alberto
Anodized. Anodizing.

If you want to sell it, spell it correctly.
Fixed
Old 06-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Wasso

I'm afraid I won't be offering this service to our friends across the pond. This was purely an exercise to get advice. In the UK we mod, and mod well, but our limitations to aftermarket parts, resource and information is limited. So this was purely to get the opinions of shall we say the more experienced Z crowd.

Sounds a bit cheeky I suppose but you'll get the right info here on my350 or G35. To be fair I'm signed up to 5 forums in America, for parts sourcing and info.

Te catch can you see in the pic actually resided on a G35 username JDM_Cain and his bay is my inspiration along with 4 others.

If there was interest from these spacers in America I'd gladly sign up for sponsoring the site, as I also sponsor the UK Site.

I'll get the production setup and post a feeler thread on here and if suitable interest and it can be done without too much cost in terms of exporting then I'll give you guys a shout.

Cheers one and all

Last edited by Wasso; 06-09-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:09 PM
TunerMax

Originally Posted by ryanm8
The reason why any good plenum spacer isn't made of aluminum is because aluminum is a great conductor of heat. So by making it aluminum, you're transferring more heat to the upper plenum, which means more hot air being sucked in and worse performance....

Being that the plenum spacer is a performance mod, that doesn't make sense. That's why the Motordyne plenum spacer is made of a material that doesn't conduct heat well (aramid I believe).
My thoughts precisely.

Originally Posted by Wasso
I see what you're saying but the whole darn plenum is aluminium?

I wouldn't have thought having a 5/16" of Alu would increase temps to affect performance. Isn't it like 9degress for every horse?

To be fair intake temps will be high when stopped at lights or in traffic, all intakes will induce high temps. Whilst moving air intake temps shouldn't really be that much higher than ambient temps?

I monitor my intake temps just as a rule of understanding what driving habits create increased temps. I'm pretty sure an Alu spacer wouldn't affect intake temps. I guess I could test it and report back I suppose.

And who said paint it! lol
The entire premise of this spacer is to COOL the intake charge in comparison to stock. This is where the power is gained primarily.

This is acheived by putting a poor heat conductor inbetween the Intake Manifolds and head to lower the transfer of heat from the engine into the intake manifold, thusly keeping intake temperatures lower, allowing more charge air in the intake runners (colder = denser) and increasing output.

So if you put aluminum there the entire point of this mod is gone, completely.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:10 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TunerMax
My thoughts precisely.

The entire premise of this spacer is to COOL the intake charge in comparison to stock. This is where the power is gained primarily.

This is acheived by putting a poor heat conductor inbetween the Intake Manifolds and head to lower the transfer of heat from the engine into the intake manifold, thusly keeping intake temperatures lower, allowing more charge air in the intake runners (colder = denser) and increasing output.

So if you put aluminum there the entire point of this mod is gone, completely.

I'm sorry but this is completely incorrect

The whole point of the spacer is to correct the design flaw in the original upper plenum. It slopes towards to the front, not giving enough space for the front two cylinders to get enough air, particularly at higher RPM. I noticed that the engine felt breathless and rough between 4k and 6k before the spacer.

In the case of Motordyne, they have a thermal kit, consisting of an Aramid gasket between the *lower* plenum and the intake runners. As well as that, it contains one of the following;

A simple 'tap' to shut off coolant flow to the throttle body, or a copper sandwich plate, which insulates the *upper* plenum from the throttle body but still allows the throttle body to be heated.

Two points of note;

1) I installed my copper iso setup yesterday, ran the engine up very warm until the engine was 'tinking' as it cooled. The plenum was practically stone cold, whilst the throttle body was pretty warm, the rest of the engine bay was stinking hot. It took an hour of the car sitting there, engine off, cooling down before the plenum heated up.

2) I believe Motordyne are about to release an anodised (i'm British!) option on their spacer (if the pics on their FB page are anything to go off!)
Old 07-02-2012, 12:45 PM
TunerMax

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
I'm sorry but this is completely incorrect

The whole point of the spacer is to correct the design flaw in the original upper plenum. It slopes towards to the front, not giving enough space for the front two cylinders to get enough air, particularly at higher RPM. I noticed that the engine felt breathless and rough between 4k and 6k before the spacer.
Well, I've been 'learned'!

SO the spacer is tapered?
Old 07-02-2012, 01:07 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

No, just the upper plenum, its more space all round.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:28 PM
TunerMax

No, just the upper plenum, its more space all round.
Cool thanks for the info.

Personally I feel that's not really the cause for the bulk of the increase., before you dismiss my insolence away let me explain why I "THINK" this:

The IM is designed tapered for a reason, to create a venturi effect that speeds the airflow toward the front 2 cylinders, this effect creates more even air flow to the front cylinders.
So by raising it you're increasing overall volume more than you are changing the characteristics of the design or the way the air gets to the front cylinders.

If the suggestion is this is making the gains by adding volume, that is possible. But it's much, much more likely that the gains are in bulk because of heat dissipation rather than volume.

This is evident in the barely notable difference between a 5/16" and a 5/8" spacer. Rather, it's the MATERIAL that it's made out of that seems to make the most differnce here. Further eluding to the fact that this is due to temperature more than volume.

Last edited by TunerMax; 07-02-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:43 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Interesting, however;

It has nothing to do with heat.

It does increase the volume, it still remains angled, so you still get your venturi, but the gap was too small at the front, it starved the front cylinders.

There is an optimal amount, it's 5/16ths, the 1/2 inch also works, but it doesn't gain as much at the low end, but it's slightly more power at the top end. Trade off.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:51 PM
ryanm8

I'm sure there would still be gains with an aluminum spacer, but a non-conducting one is still better. Probably only a difference of a couple hp, but there's no doubt an aluminum one will heat the upper plenum more. And temperature makes a big difference in performance.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:16 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Don't forget, the TB is heated and that heats the upper plenum very well on it's own
Old 07-02-2012, 08:25 PM
TunerMax

Interesting, however;

It has nothing to do with heat.

It does increase the volume, it still remains angled, so you still get your venturi, but the gap was too small at the front, it starved the front cylinders.

There is an optimal amount, it's 5/16ths, the 1/2 inch also works, but it doesn't gain as much at the low end, but it's slightly more power at the top end. Trade off.
A little research on the VQ35 in the FWD applications would show that this same spacer idea presents the SAME results. Those applications employ a completely different IM design that doesn't suffer from any suspected front cylinder starvation.

And in that application too, the 5/16" and a 5/8" make little difference to one another. Again, the specific material is what makes the difference.

Same engine, differnet IM, same spacer concept. Kind of hard to buy into the whole front 2 cylinders being starved for air.

Buying into a substantial, PROVEN, drastic change in charge air temperature, well THAT is easy to believe.

I'm obviously missing the literature and testing that led to this conception, and I'd love to read it so I can better understand, any links?

Originally Posted by ryanm8
I'm sure there would still be gains with an aluminum spacer, but a non-conducting one is still better. Probably only a difference of a couple hp, but there's no doubt an aluminum one will heat the upper plenum more. And temperature makes a big difference in performance.
Agree.

Don't forget, the TB is heated and that heats the upper plenum very well on it's own
Yup. TB bypass is a great mod for performance for just this reason. Likewise with thermal spacers.