Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Decreased MPG with Test Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 01:11 PM
jrzhoe24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Decreased MPG with Test Pipes?

hey guys i recently installed a set of turbo xs race pipes onto my z33 and was wondering what people with similar set ups were averaging mpg wise.. i went from 24mpgs or so pre-tp's (td exhaust, intake) to 20.00mpgs with them. things taken into consideration... i live in a very hilly area of north jersey so im sure i will have much worse results than the average person. my average speed says 28 mph as well .. thanks in advncee

Last edited by Waiz; 08-02-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mileage has too many variables to ask what people are getting and compare your own
Old 07-22-2012, 02:50 PM
doshoru

The only way you were doing 24mpg in a hilly area was if it was greater than 50% highway, and an average speed of 28mph does not suggest that is the case.

Unless you drive like an absolute grandmother for multiple FULL tanks to get a somewhat accurate gauge, in which case, I question why you are driving a Z, especially one that is not stock.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Esser

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I did notice a slight drop in gas mileage after my test pipes were installed. But about a couple weeks after it averaged out to about the same as it was before. I would just give it some time, it should return to the gas mileage you were getting before. If not then get a tune.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:17 PM
jrzhoe24

thank esser, i plan on getting the uprev tune as soon as i install the rest of my bolt ons
Old 07-24-2012, 09:18 AM
NFGZ

I dont really gauge my MPG based on what the car tells me but when I actually fill, empty, fill again and calculate it. With that being said the next part is solely based on what the cars gauge reads. After my test pipe intall (have injen dual intakes as well) my car would say I was getting 17.9-18.9 MPG. My fiance drove the car for 2 weeks (me on weekends, nothing heavy or crazy) and she gave it back with the car saying 22.3 MPG lol. I drive/accelerate much faster than her obviously and my drive is mostly fast highway speeds where hers is around town lower speeds
Old 08-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Shawz1102

I noticed mine dropped by about 2 mpg, and i've had my TP for almost 2 years now... No tunes... And the TP i bought was advertised to increase MPG.. Lol
Old 08-10-2012, 01:33 PM
TheWoods

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting replies. I gained about 5 MPG with mine. Keep in mind, you are probably flooring it more because of the power increase and sounds. For me however, i drive at 75 MPH on a flat freeway 60 miles round trip for work, and i gained 5mpg.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:17 PM
bmyles

Correct. You should not be losing fuel economy from test pipes. I agree it's driving style.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Shawz1102

I have to disagree with the 2 above posts. i do not drive like i stole the car for the past 2 years while owning my TP. There are days, if not weeks, where i test how driving normally would effect the car's mpg, and it certainly didn't increase.

Now that there's a thread about this very issue, i will try again today and report back, driving with my normal behavior (shifting around 2.2k rpm, slowly accelerating).
Old 08-11-2012, 04:45 AM
tranceformer95

the testpipes should have leaned out your afr's but I bet you were driving the car a bit harder after they were installed....
Old 08-11-2012, 01:09 PM
jrzhoe24

Originally Posted by Shawz1102
I have to disagree with the 2 above posts. i do not drive like i stole the car for the past 2 years while owning my TP. There are days, if not weeks, where i test how driving normally would effect the car's mpg, and it certainly didn't increase.

Now that there's a thread about this very issue, i will try again today and report back, driving with my normal behavior (shifting around 2.2k rpm, slowly accelerating).
id pretty much say the same here, i def do not drive as hard as before mainly being that they are non resonated and anything over about 3k is beyond loud.. also, iv been told by many people that i drive like an old lady most of the time so i can say that i am far from flooring it on the reg.. anyway hope this is useful to anyone out there and i am now about to put my stock exhaust back on because i feel the sound with td exhaust n tps just takes away from the integrity of the car.. so i will be running the turbo xs race pipes with stock exhaust, maybe throw in an aftermarket y pipe just for ha has..also i can not stand the loss of tq due to the tps.. many people said it was barely noticable, i strongly disagree give me back my torqueeeee
Old 08-12-2012, 12:28 PM
TheWoods

I didn't feel a difference in torque loss. But I did notice a HP gain. If you are QQing over torgue, install a super charger. Going back to the MPG issue, I DID SEE A VERY NOTICEABLE difference in gaining MPG. My math, and computer can support this claim. Keep in mind tho, I live 5 miles from the beach and I drive on completely flat freeway. So the conditions are perfect. So, if you are going to ***** about MPG I suggest you buy a Priuse, not a sports car. That's my 2¢
Old 08-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Shawz1102

Ok i drove for one day like a granny, and so far, i did NOT notice mpg decrease. Going to keep testing.

I think it's more accurate to calculate my mpg based on my gas consumption (in gallons) so i'll do that next time i fill up...... So how do i do this... i fill it up to say 10 gallons, and then i reset my odometer trip to 0, then i divide the miles i've driven by the gallons i've filled up?.....
Old 08-13-2012, 11:03 AM
TheWoods

Ok i drove for one day like a granny, and so far, i did NOT notice mpg decrease. Going to keep testing.

I think it's more accurate to calculate my mpg based on my gas consumption (in gallons) so i'll do that next time i fill up...... So how do i do this... i fill it up to say 10 gallons, and then i reset my odometer trip to 0, then i divide the miles i've driven by the gallons i've filled up?.....
Exactly.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:14 PM
jrzhoe24

Originally Posted by TheWoods
I didn't feel a difference in torque loss. But I did notice a HP gain. If you are QQing over torgue, install a super charger. Going back to the MPG issue, I DID SEE A VERY NOTICEABLE difference in gaining MPG. My math, and computer can support this claim. Keep in mind tho, I live 5 miles from the beach and I drive on completely flat freeway. So the conditions are perfect. So, if you are going to ***** about MPG I suggest you buy a Priuse, not a sports car. That's my 2¢
hhmmmm, didnt know asking what peoples mpgs were was bitchng but thnx for taking time out of ur day to provide me with ur opinion
Old 08-14-2012, 11:17 AM
TheWoods

That wasn't entirely directed at you.

Last edited by TheWoods; 08-14-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:06 PM
tbruner

I added MD ART pipes and 5/16 spacer at the same time and havnt noticed my MPG decrease... I did noticed a slight decrease after my Uprev Tune.