Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Which are the best Headers to get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 02:24 PM
jm5900

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which are the best Headers to get?

Im looking into getting headers but im not sure which ones give the most gains can someone help me out
Old 01-24-2004, 02:30 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am 99% certain that the Borla offering seems to be the worst of the lot. I would go with the XERD long tubes if you can live without the cats in your area. If not, Crawford or Nismo. I haven't seen to much yet about the Stillen shorties yet. Just my 2¢.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:43 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Stillen look real nice. Still waiting to hear about performance.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:51 PM
350zdanny

I think the crawford look sweet. Nismo has also ironed out all their problems.

I would steer clear of Borla (because they are not really a performance mod) and XERD (because the cats are deleted). Crawford or Nismo give you good gains, nice looks, and the opportunity to do as you wish with the cats.

Dan
Old 01-24-2004, 03:04 PM
FLY BY Z

I have the XERDs in the garage. I don't care about the cats so much and if it is way too loud then I will put in some aftermarket cats. If you are going to get test pipes in the future, you may as well get XERD headers now. If you want to keep the cats then it is between NISMO, Crawford, and Stillen.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:49 PM
little_rod

If you want your cats, really your best bet is either the Nismos or Crawfords right now. Correct me if I am wrong here, from what I have been able to gather from various posts, the crawfords seem to be the freer flowing headers, that might be better suited for FI applications(SC) than the Nismos.

I know both of them are still for N/A applications, would love to see a header come out on the market that is build for an SC application. Heck, maybe the XERDs would be better for this, who knows, it does seems to be a straight through header. Know nothing of the Stillens.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:56 PM
islandsnow

I will let you know once the stillens are in. But so far, i would say Nismo or Stillen for NA cars by the posts i've seen on these two.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:57 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be better going with a set of RT Cat's and freeing up the flow before you put on the headers. Or if you can afford it do them both for the biggest power gains.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:58 PM
mgl

i suggest getting the crawford headers.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:20 PM
Volcom

The best sounding exaust i have heard has been the nismo headers, high flow cats and nismo cat back sys.. Also i believe there is alot more testing done with nismo than other exaust companys. I mean its the same people who designed the engine for sure they would tune there exaust sytems to close as possible to perfection. Im all for Nismo products....
Old 01-24-2004, 05:53 PM
mjedens

Default Testing ?

You think Nismo did a lot of testing on their "headers"! First thing is they didn't manufacture them and second thing is the first batch(about 6 months worth) didn't even fit! After getting mine fixed I was pleased with the performance but switched to Crawford Headers recently to increase low end torque. The torqe increased aproximately 40 ft/lbs over the Nismo's between 2200 & 3000 rpms on my modded Z and should show an improvement on stock as well, IMO!! If cats or test pipes are warranted, I vote on the Crawfords. I know nothing about the Stillen Headers!
Old 01-24-2004, 07:59 PM
mchapman

NISMO only developed and made the right hand drive ones(Non US).

Murray
Old 01-24-2004, 09:33 PM
Volcom

What do you mean they didn't fit?? like the left header was hitting the steering shaft or wouldn't bolt to the engine. And who manufactures Nismo headers?
Old 01-24-2004, 09:49 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are only 3 popular brands out right now that fit the cats and make power. Crawford, Nismo, and Stillen. There are more on the way. My car is at DC Sports right now having their equal length headers and true dual cat back exahaust installed. They are doing the final fit on my car and will be available in a few months. I've seen the first dyno numbers are they are very impressive. I will post full dyno sheets when I get my car back next week.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:52 PM
mchapman

And who manufactures Nismo headers?
B&B Designed & Manufactued the NISMO headers in the US for the US Zed.

Murray
Old 01-25-2004, 12:38 PM
booger

Default headers

Originally posted by mchapman
B&B Designed & Manufactued the NISMO headers in the US for the US Zed.

Murray
I put on BRM headers....made by B&B and was told are exact copies of the Nismo but are tig welded instead of mig welded and cost $800 .I know they freed up flow because after install....I went out and got on it and heard [PINGING] detonation [to lean] . After the ECU had time to adjust it didnt do it again
Old 01-25-2004, 05:35 PM
jm5900

hey thanks a lot everyone
Old 01-25-2004, 06:02 PM
chazzg

From the Stillen web site

The long awaited STILLEN 350Z and G35 Coupe and Sedan Headers are now available. After months of development work, these headers produce big increases in streetable power and torque on both Naturally Aspirated and Forced induction vehicles. The equal length design of the headers allows better and more efficient exhaust scavenging which contributes to the performance gains tested on the dyno, 11.5 hp at @ 6200 RPM and 18.5 ft-lb @ 3800 RPM at the wheels. With STILLEN's 17 years of experience in designing and manufacturing Nissan performance parts, you should have complete confidence that every STILLEN product is of the highest quality and has under gone extensive research and design before production. These hand crafted shorty headers do not require the removal of the catalytic convertors and are available in two versions; 100% Stainless Steel or Ceramic Coated Mild Steell both are Manufactured by STILLEN. This part # is 100% Stainless Steel Headers. Stay tuned for STILLEN's soon to be released Race Pipe for the 350Z and G35 that mates up to the header to make a perfect combo of fit and performance. Installation should be done by a qualified mechanic with proper tools and a lift. This is not a backyard bolt on. For the Mild Steel Ceramic coated headers see part # 508350M. These headers do not remove the cats, but are not 50 state legal, check your area's regulations.
Attached Thumbnails Which are the best Headers to get?-508350s_f.jpg  
Old 01-25-2004, 07:02 PM
daytona350z

Originally posted by chazzg
From the Stillen web site

The equal length design of the headers allows better and more efficient exhaust scavenging which contributes to the performance gains tested on the dyno, 11.5 hp at @ 6200 RPM and 18.5 ft-lb @ 3800 RPM at the wheels.
o man...crazy...i got exactly the same results with my nismo headers....
Attached Thumbnails Which are the best Headers to get?-run05.jpg  
Old 01-26-2004, 10:11 AM
TheBigShow

lookin back at the so cal dyno day, it didn't really matter which ones u had. actually, in some cases, it didn't really matter if u had them. the more boltons u have, the closer peak numbers will b between different headers' dynos, i think. now on a stock car, u may see bigger differences, which may make u think one is better than the other. also, what u're gonna wanna look at is the whole power band; which ones give the most gains throughout the whole curve. right now, it's really tough to say.

Quick Reply: Which are the best Headers to get?