Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Stillen gen 3 intake or nismo r tune intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Lonestarr350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stillen gen 3 intake or nismo r tune intake

Been looking around for an intake .. And these two, deff caught my attention .. Which would be a better intake overall for my 07 Z ?
Old 08-12-2013, 01:01 AM
BY350z

Last edited by BY350z; 08-12-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:43 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,049 Likes on 6,515 Posts

Haha. I would do stillen gen3
Old 08-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Triji

Neither.... K&N drop in filter and call it a day...
Old 08-18-2013, 06:19 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Triji
Neither.... K&N drop in filter and call it a day...
Agreed. That is what I did. Great investment.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Glenn350zHR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just dynoed my car with Stillens vs a baseline test on the same dyno. My uncorrected numbers are showing an 11whp gain and 10ftlbs of torque. Can I prove that there was a real gain from the intakes no. Why because I did not dyno under the same conditions. It was in the upper 80s on my baseline and 10-15deg cooler today with less humidity. You can see my write up here

https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/5814...-hr-build.html

My opinion is they are worth it and in conjunction with an exhaust and a tune all working together should make some good power

Last edited by Glenn350zHR; 08-19-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:47 AM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by Glenn350zHR
I just dynoed my car with Stillens vs a baseline test on the same dyno. My uncorrected numbers are showing an 11whp gain and 10ftlbs of torque. Can I prove that there was a real gain from the intakes no. Why because I did not dyno under the same conditions. It was in the upper 80s on my baseline and 10-15deg cooler today with less humidity. You can see my write up here

https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/5814...-hr-build.html

My opinion is they are worth it and in conjunction with an exhaust and a tune all working together should make some good power

Than your review is pointless and it misleads people who dont understand dyno tuning. You tuned the car on a day when it was 10-15 degrees cooler which would have an effect on ANY car, let alone one with intakes. 11whp and 10ftlbs of torque is very questionable even for an HR engine, and I will say the cooler air contributed tremendously to this gain.

OP it has been proven time and time again the best intake for the Z is the stock one from the 06-08 Zs. Just grab some aftermarket filters for the boxes and you will be just fine.

Last edited by stuartc323; 08-20-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Sheasta

I somewhat disagree. I think on the long tube intakes you gain SLIGHT power (especially matched with other bolt ons), but it wont really show up on a dyno since you arent moving. If youre moving and all that cold air away from the engine is being rushed into the intakes how is that not better than a hot engine air and filters covered by a box?
Old 08-20-2013, 12:45 PM
SQuaLZ

Originally Posted by Sheasta
I somewhat disagree. I think on the long tube intakes you gain SLIGHT power (especially matched with other bolt ons), but it wont really show up on a dyno since you arent moving. If youre moving and all that cold air away from the engine is being rushed into the intakes how is that not better than a hot engine air and filters covered by a box?
I would think that Nissan did a great job making our stock airboxes in regards to airflow. So you are saying that longer tubes gain power? It has to do with which system gets the best airflow. I would make a bet that stock intake boxes with the bumper cutouts would yield the most power, more then any CAI due to direct airflow.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:22 PM
Sheasta

I heard the cutouts were only good for low speeds since the holes were to small. But of course since all of this is opinions no one really knows. I like the sound of an intake better than stock and if thats all I payed for so be it.

Dynos cant measure a ram air effect so well never know.

I want to see what happens if you get a larger intake piping diameter, and a larger TB on an NA HR.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Glenn350zHR

Originally Posted by stuartc323
Than your review is pointless and it misleads people who dont understand dyno tuning. You tuned the car on a day when it was 10-15 degrees cooler which would have an effect on ANY car, let alone one with intakes. 11whp and 10ftlbs of torque is very questionable even for an HR engine, and I will say the cooler air contributed tremendously to this gain.

OP it has been proven time and time again the best intake for the Z is the stock one from the 06-08 Zs. Just grab some aftermarket filters for the boxes and you will be just fine.
This is true. Apparently you didn't read anything I wrote I did state this in my thread. I cant verify anything with the weather variables in question. Although I used to dyno my Eclipse Turbo a lot and would consistently put down the same 306-309 with the few bolt ons I had on different days hot and cool. But who knows not even the same car and forced induction was an added variable. when I am full bolt on and have Osiris on hand I will be revisiting this doing a same day test between the stock setup and stillens. Dialing in each intake setup with a tune and see if there is a measurable difference. sound fair?

Last edited by Glenn350zHR; 08-20-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Triji

(lol) ..... And I heard that this one time at band camp.... ... ... .. .

Cool, you paid for sound and a loss of low end TQ WooT!

Seriously, this has been hashed out so many times and the stock set up is best for NA applications... Has been done on every incarnation of the Z / G with people pulling on and off different intakes on the same day on the same dyno... There is a post around somewhere with all that in it but I am too lazy to search it out... The best gains were from the stock set up w/ K&N or similar drop in filters... Most aftermarket intakes actually lost a bit of power and TQ... Nissan knows their ish with these intakes actually...

And my very first mod was a K&N cold air intake... I thought it was cool at first as well until I noticed the power loss in my butt dyno and changed back to stock w/ a drop in filter... Then I was vindicated when others noticed the same thing and someone did all that work at the dyno with the different intakes...

But hey if you like the sound that's all that matters.... Whoosh, Whoosh, vroom, vroom!

I heard the cutouts were only good for low speeds since the holes were to small. But of course since all of this is opinions no one really knows. I like the sound of an intake better than stock and if thats all I payed for so be it.

Dynos cant measure a ram air effect so well never know.

I want to see what happens if you get a larger intake piping diameter, and a larger TB on an NA HR.

Last edited by Triji; 08-20-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Sheasta

I dont know how accurate that would even be since after like 3 dyno runs you start losing power regardless. I noticed no difference in my butt dyno. I dont care about the whoosh I like the engine sounding more aggressive. Is this comparison done on de and hr motors?
Old 08-21-2013, 09:51 AM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by Glenn350zHR
This is true. Apparently you didn't read anything I wrote I did state this in my thread. I cant verify anything with the weather variables in question. Although I used to dyno my Eclipse Turbo a lot and would consistently put down the same 306-309 with the few bolt ons I had on different days hot and cool. But who knows not even the same car and forced induction was an added variable. when I am full bolt on and have Osiris on hand I will be revisiting this doing a same day test between the stock setup and stillens. Dialing in each intake setup with a tune and see if there is a measurable difference. sound fair?

Thats fine, it doesnt really do much for me I have already done my R&D on my car, and the stock boxes with bumper cutouts are the best point blank. No aftermarket intake rivals it. fit it with bigger piping, tb, maf sensor, tune and your golden

Originally Posted by Triji
(lol) ..... And I heard that this one time at band camp.... ... ... .. .

Cool, you paid for sound and a loss of low end TQ WooT!

Seriously, this has been hashed out so many times and the stock set up is best for NA applications... Has been done on every incarnation of the Z / G with people pulling on and off different intakes on the same day on the same dyno... There is a post around somewhere with all that in it but I am too lazy to search it out... The best gains were from the stock set up w/ K&N or similar drop in filters... Most aftermarket intakes actually lost a bit of power and TQ... Nissan knows their ish with these intakes actually...

And my very first mod was a K&N cold air intake... I thought it was cool at first as well until I noticed the power loss in my butt dyno and changed back to stock w/ a drop in filter... Then I was vindicated when others noticed the same thing and someone did all that work at the dyno with the different intakes...

But hey if you like the sound that's all that matters.... Whoosh, Whoosh, vroom, vroom!

Exactly, let em know Triji ^

I dont know how accurate that would even be since after like 3 dyno runs you start losing power regardless. I noticed no difference in my butt dyno. I dont care about the whoosh I like the engine sounding more aggressive. Is this comparison done on de and hr motors?

Da Fuq? Where did you get this info from? Inspector Gadget?
Old 08-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Sheasta

Sorry I meant to say in a row. Also its not really a stock intake anymore if you add larger piping. If you guys know so much why do you insist upon searching and then get mad at me for stating things I learned from searching. If you know it all you could just enlighten me instead of sending me searching with poor results. Forums are for helping others not starting arguments, being condescending, and telling people to figure it out themselves.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Mike07Z

Sorry I meant to say in a row. Also its not really a stock intake anymore if you add larger piping. If you guys know so much why do you insist upon searching and then get mad at me for stating things I learned from searching. If you know it all you could just enlighten me instead of sending me searching with poor results. Forums are for helping others not starting arguments, being condescending, and telling people to figure it out themselves.
Sheasta is right about the helping each other part. It takes just as much effort to tell someone to search more as it does to just give them some of your own knowledge and findings. I am new to this forum but not to forums I am a 7 year vet. on my other forum. Have noticed searching is a bit harder on here, but ya it's all good. Glad to be here. I just bought a 07 base 6sp with 60k on it and the nismo cat back. i love it! The car sounds amazing. I came from driving an srt-4 since 05 but ya I've been really interested in this topic bc I have heard some of the same things about the k&n drop in filters but ya I really like the over all idea of a CAI too. Anyway do you guys have some pics of your cut outs? I'm thinking of going this route and what type did u use? Thanks
Old 08-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Mike07Z

Probably going to order my k&n drop in's tomorrow and i really want to explore the cut outs approach. does any one ever worry about rain getting to the stock airbox with the cut outs? it kinda seems like a possibility when doing 80 on the Freway in the rain.. but ya I will search this topic as well in the meantime...
Old 08-27-2013, 02:05 AM
SQuaLZ

Originally Posted by Mike07Z
Probably going to order my k&n drop in's tomorrow and i really want to explore the cut outs approach. does any one ever worry about rain getting to the stock airbox with the cut outs? it kinda seems like a possibility when doing 80 on the Freway in the rain.. but ya I will search this topic as well in the meantime...
That is what the airboxes are for. Running a CAI has a much higher risk for water in the motor then bumper cutouts. If you have CAI and you go through a deep puddle and submerge the intakes, you have yourself a hydrolocked motor.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Mike07Z

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
That is what the airboxes are for. Running a CAI has a much higher risk for water in the motor then bumper cutouts. If you have CAI and you go through a deep puddle and submerge the intakes, you have yourself a hydrolocked motor.

So your Saying There is a risk of the cut outs bringing water in to the airbox?
I know and understand the risk of a CAI getting wet or submerged.. but my question is if anyone who has this mod currently or has had it. if they ever had rain make it to the airbox threw the cut outs? mainly bc i am considering this rout. but just doing my due diligence before i go a cut 2 holes in my front fascia..
Old 08-27-2013, 03:50 PM
stuartc323

Sheasta is right about the helping each other part. It takes just as much effort to tell someone to search more as it does to just give them some of your own knowledge and findings. I am new to this forum but not to forums I am a 7 year vet. on my other forum. Have noticed searching is a bit harder on here, but ya it's all good. Glad to be here. I just bought a 07 base 6sp with 60k on it and the nismo cat back. i love it! The car sounds amazing. I came from driving an srt-4 since 05 but ya I've been really interested in this topic bc I have heard some of the same things about the k&n drop in filters but ya I really like the over all idea of a CAI too. Anyway do you guys have some pics of your cut outs? I'm thinking of going this route and what type did u use? Thanks

Here is the issue. Both of you posted questions, than when we give you answers based on our experiences with tuning the platform, one that your NEW to, you come back and say "well i saw this or i searched that and thats not what that thread said." So do your own damn searching and find your own answers, we already told you the stock box was the best box for the paltform and has been proven time and time again. Dont believe me? how about you search? I can pull up many different thread saying this.

So your Saying There is a risk of the cut outs bringing water in to the airbox?
I know and understand the risk of a CAI getting wet or submerged.. but my question is if anyone who has this mod currently or has had it. if they ever had rain make it to the airbox threw the cut outs? mainly bc i am considering this rout. but just doing my due diligence before i go a cut 2 holes in my front fascia..

He is saying that CAIs are more of a risk than bumper cutouts meaning bumper cutouts are lessy risky of getting a hydrolocked motor than running CAIs.

Just get K&N filters and the cutouts, you will be fine after that

PS you live in SoCal, Im from long beach, grew up five minutes from the beach, no way in hell its raining that hard at anytime of the year to where you have to worry about rain getting in the cutouts.

Last edited by stuartc323; 08-27-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Stillen gen 3 intake or nismo r tune intake