Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Tomei Expreme Ti full catback vs using Motordyne XYZ

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 04:14 AM
sekhon140

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys im in the same boat!! i have the cat back with tomei y pipe...i love the weight reduction but i hate how loud and nasty sounding it is...i have some reasonated test pipe with stock headers, can someone please point me the right direction...you would save me if someone can just txt/call at 469 463 3239.....ive gotten pulled over so many times and the cops said i have one more chance i get a ticket for being to loud.... btw i just want my car to have this kinda tone

Old 09-25-2013, 04:41 AM
sidewaysil80

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rudimentary may have been a poor choice of words. I don't really care about loudness (track/play car) but I mainly care about actual flow and design. When looking at the Tomei y-pipe I was disappointed when seeing it compared to other seemingly more thought out designs. Is/has anyone ran the Tomei v1/v2 with the full expreme exhaust system yet? I'm curious to see how that setup fares and what it sounds like.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:40 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I would honestly try xyz with res or hfc module. Either way you sell a full ti y pipe or new xyz if it does or doesn't work. That chit will sell like hotcakes
Old 09-25-2013, 06:35 AM
RENFRO

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

Exactly ^

I would also say it depends on what your future route may entail when it comes to headers etc. If you never intend to do headers, you could run ART pipes to really tone the system down. However, based on my experience, I would avoid ART pipes if you intend to get a set of headers down the line. I actually lost some HP with ART pipes matched with my momentum headers. Full dyno results are in the ART pipes thread.

If you want to keep your resonated test pipes, definitely look into the XYZ w/resonator as an option. I'm very pleasantly surprised at how mine sounds. I'm thinking the extra flow of the headers really smoothed things out, and then running through the XYZ w/resonator got things under control even more. I'm flowing like crazy, but it's a "smooth" flow if that makes sense. I'm not an engineer and can't speak to the specifics of flow dynamics, but it logically makes sense. I could be wrong.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:42 AM
RENFRO

Originally Posted by sidewaysil80
Rudimentary may have been a poor choice of words. I don't really care about loudness (track/play car) but I mainly care about actual flow and design. When looking at the Tomei y-pipe I was disappointed when seeing it compared to other seemingly more thought out designs. Is/has anyone ran the Tomei v1/v2 with the full expreme exhaust system yet? I'm curious to see how that setup fares and what it sounds like.
True that. I'd actually be curious to see the real differences before an after with only switching out the y-pipes. Say, OEM manifolds, straight test pipes, and the tomei/soho/motordyne y pipes getting swapped out, with the tomei y pipe back exhaust.

Could show some interesting results.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Glenn350zHR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RENFRO
True that. I'd actually be curious to see the real differences before an after with only switching out the y-pipes. Say, OEM manifolds, straight test pipes, and the tomei/soho/motordyne y pipes getting swapped out, with the tomei y pipe back exhaust.

Could show some interesting results.
I may be able to accompany this. I just received the XYZ resonated pipe just waiting till Saturday for the test pipes (z1 sent me DE pipes ) I have stock manifolds on the car and the full tomei currently with highflow cats.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:52 AM
RENFRO

Originally Posted by Glenn350zHR
I may be able to accompany this. I just received the XYZ resonated pipe just waiting till Saturday for the test pipes (z1 sent me DE pipes ) I have stock manifolds on the car and the full tomei currently with highflow cats.
Yeah, I'd say swap in the test pipes. Run a before test for the sound quality/loudness on video. Then swap out your y-pipe and see what happens.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:34 AM
HR.R-CING

People seem to be finally catching on.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Justin Gilbow

Originally Posted by sekhon140
guys im in the same boat!! i have the cat back with tomei y pipe...i love the weight reduction but i hate how loud and nasty sounding it is...i have some reasonated test pipe with stock headers, can someone please point me the right direction...you would save me if someone can just txt/call at 469 463 3239.....ive gotten pulled over so many times and the cops said i have one more chance i get a ticket for being to loud.... btw i just want my car to have this kinda tone

Tomei Expreme Ti 350z - YouTube
damn that sounds nasty! I wish i could get test pipes but where I live they have an emissions check so it blows
Old 09-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Glenn350zHR

Originally Posted by Justin Gilbow
damn that sounds nasty! I wish i could get test pipes but where I live they have an emissions check so it blows
visual check? or just a scan? If they just scan then you can pass if the car isn't throwing a code for secondary o2.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Justin Gilbow

Originally Posted by Glenn350zHR
visual check? or just a scan? If they just scan then you can pass if the car isn't throwing a code for secondary o2.
Here Is the process of my e-check, so I guess i can get away with test pipes? Not entirely sure tbh

Position 1

Click the image to open in full size.

1. The inspector asks you to exit your vehicle and wait inside the booth while your vehicle is tested.

2. The inspector performs a tampering inspection on your vehicle. They make sure your vehicle has both a gas cap and a catalytic converter (if it was manufactured with both). They also check for obvious fluid leaks, bald tires, and other safety concerns that may prevent your vehicle from being tested.

3. The inspector enters the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) into the computer so that the emissions standard for your vehicle can be pulled up and the vehicle identified.

Position 2

OBD Test

If your vehicle is 1996 or newer (gasoline) or 1997 or newer (diesel), it will most likely be tested with on-board diagnostics (OBD II) technology*. A handheld reader device will be connected to your vehicle's data port to download emission control system performance codes.

If your vehicle's data port is inaccessible, your vehicle will receive a tailpipe test on the dynamometer.

Tailpipe Test

1. The vehicle is moved onto a dynamometer, a treadmill-like device, and a probe is placed in the tailpipe to collect gases.

2. The vehicle is driven at a constant speed between 24 and 26 mph in a simulation of actual driving conditions.

3. Tailpipe exhaust is analyzed to determine how much pollution it contains. Vehicles should complete this phase of the test in 2 to 4 minutes.

4. Vehicles that cannot be driven on the dynamometer because of weight, traction control or four-wheel drive are given an idle test.

* Some restrictions may apply.

Position 3

1. The vehicle is now driven from position 2 to position 3 and prepared for the gas cap pressure test. The inspector will remove your gas cap and connect it to a gauge that measures pressure. This ensures that gasoline vapor is not being lost from your tank.

2. Once the testing is complete, the inspector will hand you your Vehicle Inspection Report and explain the results.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:09 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

You will fail position 2
Old 09-28-2013, 03:21 AM
denchan350gt

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
You will fail position 2
How if he is not throwing codes. I think he will fail the visual since test pipes remove the cats. Might get by with resonated test pipes maybe.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:20 AM
Glenn350zHR

In CT they just pull the car into the garage plug the scan tool in and check for codes and your off. Looking at this I am almost certain this is not how they actually do it. Do you really think someone who is being paid 11$ an hour really knows that much about cars. A visual inspection with the car on the ground if they had a mirror they probably would think one of your resonators is a catalytic converter. I have never seen them do that in my state. Secondly it says they only do the dyno test on cars that do not have access to the OBD port meaning for pre 1995 vehicles that are OBD1. All 350Zs have readily available OBDII scan ports under the dash for the scan tool.

Last edited by Glenn350zHR; 09-28-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:10 AM
Justin Gilbow

Yea maybe I'll just get them and see if they notice haha. It would be a pain having to take them on / off every time :/
Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 PM
sekhon140

Glenn350zHR can you give a review or some vids of the XYZ with the tomei...im waiting for you to respond so i can order mine
Old 10-01-2013, 02:54 AM
Glenn350zHR

Glenn350zHR can you give a review or some vids of the XYZ with the tomei...im waiting for you to respond so i can order mine
im waiting for my friend to have some lift time available for me. im working on it
Old 10-01-2013, 03:00 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Originally Posted by denchan350gt
How if he is not throwing codes. I think he will fail the visual since test pipes remove the cats. Might get by with resonated test pipes maybe.
If they use a sniffer he will fail. The fumes coming from his tail pipe with no cats will be awful
Old 10-01-2013, 07:25 AM
RENFRO

I've already done both of these...

Read the whole thread
Old 10-01-2013, 08:14 AM
Glenn350zHR

Originally Posted by RENFRO
I've already done both of these...

Read the whole thread
i think he is looking for the comparison with stock headers. Oh by the way those momentum headers i assume are similar to the z1 design? What are your thoughts on PPE long tubes versus a short runner setup?

Quick Reply: Tomei Expreme Ti full catback vs using Motordyne XYZ