Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Motordyne Shockwave Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 08:06 AM
happyasian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motordyne Shockwave Issue

So the shop that had installed my Motordyne exhaust had installed it so that the pipes would not line up center with the cut outs in the bumper for the tips. This annoyed me but I knew it could be fixed easily by simply rotating the pipes. I put my car up on a ramp and rotated the pipes so they would line up correctly but after driving the car I felt a vibration through the seat and console within the car and also heard a sound as if a part of the exhaust was rattling against something underneath the car. These vibrations and noises are most noticeable when moving from a complete stop and lower rpms (1-2k) but can still be felt and heard in the upper range as well.

I have taken the exhaust apart twice (all the way to the y-pipe) and reinstalled it in attempts to gain more clearance for the pipes and muffler to try stop the vibrations and noise, but with no success. I have a theory that the muffler is the source of these issues but when taken off and inspected, there are no visible signs of wear or damage that I thought would be present if it was the cause of the vibration. I have read that other members on this forum have had problems with this muffler (mainly installing upside down) and have solved it by flipping it around and reinstalling but when I tried this the muffler would not line up correctly with the y-pipe, making me believe I have the muffler installed the right way (welded side up).

I am simply out of ideas. If you guys could provide any possible solutions to my problem it would be much appreciated.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:52 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever I am purchasing anything "substantial" for my Z,I make it a practice,whenever
possible,to go to the source.When I was shopping for wheels a few years ago,I got
all types of info on offsets etc for a 350Z.I contacted the manufacturer.They had the
correct fitment right at hand.So,saying that,I'd call Motordyne.Tell e'm about your problem.Exhaust problems can be hard to determine the source.I had a similar situation with a Borla system on another car.It was fixed by removing an OPTIONAL support
bracket that served no purpose.It could be that the Shockwave system is designed
to be left alone.Baffles in the muffler need to be in a certain position.
Call Motordyne.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:13 PM
SeinZ

OP,
Did you ever get the problem sorted out?
I have the x-pipe (muffler) section with the welds facing up and the motordyne facing down (assuming the company wouldnt design something with their name hidden).

The front facing portion of my x-pipe seems to hang low and the passanger section above the sway bar can't be moved to gain clearance of the drive train bolt or the car body.

My vibrations in the car are the same as yours and I have tried calling motordyne but they have been closed for several days now.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Esser

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had a similar issue, but you just need to loosen the band clamps and fiddle around with it until it sits perfect. Then you can just move the tips around until they sit perfect. Miss my Z with the motordyne TDX2 exhaust It sounds amazing. I still have the exhaust sitting in my basement after 7k miles use, been trying to sell it but i guess no one wants it
Old 12-09-2013, 04:07 PM
67ZNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Esser
I still have the exhaust sitting in my basement after 7k miles use, been trying to sell it but i guess no one wants it
Pretty sure there's a bunch of people still looking for a used TDXv2 on here right?
Old 12-09-2013, 07:12 PM
GreyZ

Received 174 Likes on 130 Posts

I would love a TDXv2, if only i could find someone interested in a Borla TD ...
Old 12-18-2013, 01:48 PM
RacingBlack350Z

Originally Posted by Esser
I still have the exhaust sitting in my basement after 7k miles use, been trying to sell it but i guess no one wants it
Check the exhaust want to buy thread. There's a guy on there right now looking for tdx2. Good luck