Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Whats a Pop Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 11:19 AM
ProjectAlpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a Pop Charger?

Sorry if its a dumb question but Im new to the boards and i always read everybody talking about it but cant figure out what it is. I also did a search but didnt get what I was looking for. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:16 PM
MotiCarmona

lol, dont feel dumb , its basicly a cold air intake but it doesnt go all the way down it just replacethe stock air box , but it gives u lots of power and better sound , awesome vlaue for the price! its about $120 and it give u as much if not more hp the other cold air intakes
Old 02-05-2004, 12:28 PM
ProjectAlpha

Originally posted by MotiCarmona
lol, dont feel dumb , its basicly a cold air intake but it doesnt go all the way down it just replacethe stock air box , but it gives u lots of power and better sound , awesome vlaue for the price! its about $120 and it give u as much if not more hp the other cold air intakes
Ahh I see. What do you think of the quality of it cause Im a bit skeptical about JWT just cause ive never heard of them. Also is it carb legal? Reason I ask that is cause I live in California and the emission laws here sucks ***. Thanks for the info man, much appreciated.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:34 PM
broohaha

JWT's site gives you a decent run down:
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/cus...asp?PartID=350

It is 50 state legal. By far this seems to be one of the best mods around for the gain/cost ratio.

I'm just about to pull the trigger.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:34 PM
Landbarger

I've heard that JWT (Jim Wolf Technologies) has a long history of good work on Nissan Zs.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:38 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Originally posted by ProjectAlpha
Ahh I see. What do you think of the quality of it cause Im a bit skeptical about JWT just cause ive never heard of them. Also is it carb legal? Reason I ask that is cause I live in California and the emission laws here sucks ***. Thanks for the info man, much appreciated.
Jim Wolf Technologies used to be one of the premeir modifiers of Z-Cars, from the 240Z's to Z31's to Z32's and now Z33's. They are the ones that came out with the first, and best, ECU mod for Z32TT's, got much of their stuff CARB approved, and have a lot of their stuff is bought by Stillen (I'm sure you've heard of them), rebranded, and sold for substantially more money.

There's a reason why Stillen's nickname is Stealin'; if you can buy direct from JWT, buy from them. Try to avoid using Stillen as a middleman.

Dave 90TT
Old 02-05-2004, 01:26 PM
Wedge

A pop charger is someone who uses a credit card to buy a Coke.....lol........j/k

The JWT Popcharger was my first mod. It is a good value and is the easiest intake to install yourself. I bought it way back when it wasn't so popular because people would say that the more expensive "Cold Air Intakes", were much better. As time went on, more and more proof began to surface that the Popcharger is a heck of an intake and provides as much or more gain as any intake out there.

The others are correct when they say Jim Wolfe Technologies (JWT) is a well respected, experienced company. They make quality products.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:54 PM
MotiCarmona

and there u go... lol i was about to order the AEM cai when i got my Z and canceled my order becasue i was unsure if thats what i wanted... well it took me about 5 month of back and forth i was about to press submit for my pop charger order and finelly did it... nice story huh.. lol j/k , well basicly i regret every min i didnt press it earlier!!
Old 02-05-2004, 02:44 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Chrome?

I currently just have the K&N drop-in air filter because I heard from several people who's opinions I hold in high respect that the gains you get from a CAI or Pop are maybe only 1 or 2 hp more than getting a regular old K&N filter so I figured I'd save the extra $100.00 and do that. I can't honestly say that I notice any difference excapt for possibly when I step on the gas there is a little "sssst" sound for about half a second.

I was just wondering if there was a chrome (or other color anodized) pipe that can be used with the LWT Pop rather than the black plastic stock pipe? It would make the whole thing look a bit better IMHO

-Chrismcagle
Old 02-05-2004, 02:59 PM
MotiCarmona

i actually had the k&n , its a big big big difference in power , i thought it wouldnt be and i took my time and didnt order it...that was a mistake i sould have just bought the popcharger in the begining...
Old 02-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Z4KR

Originally posted by Wedge
A pop charger is someone who uses a credit card to buy a Coke.....lol........j/k

I have the pop charger and it was the best mod for the value.

Also, I think the plastic pipe is more efficient than other chrome ones since they tend to get real hot.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:06 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Really????

Originally posted by MotiCarmona
i actually had the k&n , its a big big big difference in power , i thought it wouldnt be and i took my time and didnt order it...that was a mistake i sould have just bought the popcharger in the begining...
So you are saying that by installing the Pop Charger, there was a Noticible increase in power over the K&N??

-Chrismcagle
Old 02-05-2004, 04:44 PM
TheBigShow

do u guys think i should swap out my aem for a popcharger or just put my intake back to stock? thanks.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Default Re: Really????

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
So you are saying that by installing the Pop Charger, there was a Noticible increase in power over the K&N??

-Chrismcagle
Depends what you mean by noticeable.

Butt dyno noticeable? No, probably not

Real dyno noticeable? Yes.

1/4 mile time noticeable? probably.

The thing to remember here is that very few people are going to notice 7 more HP on a Z, whether a Z32 or a Z33. Take the Z33. 287 HP stock. Increase that by 7 HP. You just added about 2.5% HP. 2.5% is really not all that much. Think about a glass of water. Would you notice if it increased in temperature by 2.5%? Most likely not. Same thing with HP.

However, dynos have shown that the cone style filters (pop chargers, CAI's, etc...) do increase HP and torque over regular, drop in filters.

Whether that is worth it to you or not, I can't say.

Dave 90TT
Old 02-05-2004, 08:10 PM
silverstoneTT

Someone said it before and I'd like to know as well. Even if it does cause a slight loss in power, is there any way to buy a better looking intake tube, something like the nismo one or a polished one?
Old 02-05-2004, 08:33 PM
MotiCarmona

the dyno for the popcharger doesnt show loss in power , just gain , and as far as if i noticed a different between my k&n and the popcharger... OH YEA , lol
Old 02-05-2004, 11:01 PM
Wedge

Well as mentioned above, a chrome intake pipe would certainly look better, especially if you have dressed your engine bay up and would like a little more bling from the intake. I don't know exactly what this would do to the heat absorbtion factors, but I do know that it is widely acknowledged that the stock tube is a near perfect design for our cars. Many of the suppliers are selling the Z tube to G35 owners because this tube gives gains to the G35. I saw one supplier selling a package of the 350Z tube and a pop charger specifically for the G35.

I am posting a link to an article that has been posted in the past, but I think it is good information for those looking into the purchase of a pop charger. This article is the one that tipped the scale for me months ago in making my decision to go with the JWT over other intakes. You may be interested in what it has to say if you have not yet decided which intake you will be investing in.

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/june03/350pop/
Old 02-06-2004, 01:51 AM
MotiCarmona

hey wedge , quick question , i saw u have the borla true duel , how do u like it , the power and the sound that is , is it serios difference? and what about the RT's
Old 02-06-2004, 02:55 AM
Grommit

Well, I got a dumb question... Does using the pop charger reduce the fuel efficiency? If so, by how much does it effect it?

How about CAI's in general? hows the mileage effected by them?
Old 02-06-2004, 05:49 AM
TheBigShow

Originally posted by TheBigShow
do u guys think i should swap out my aem for a popcharger or just put my intake back to stock? thanks.
what do u guys think?

Quick Reply: Whats a Pop Charger?