Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Question of exhaust setup/ rearranging

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 05:27 AM
theevesh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question of exhaust setup/ rearranging

Hello again, Dont know exactly which thread to post this but just want a quick response.

have an 05 35 350z. this friday I got a muffler delete done using my magnaflow midpipe that originally does not have a resinator on. and it sounds like a damn F1 car.... and the worst part is that im running straight pipes. which I think is the cause for this..... Stock Y-pipe...

so my question is, if I want to get the sound down to normal not a damn F1 car(even though it sounds SIICCKKK) should I most likely try putting the cats back on? Ive seen youtube videos where people do muffler deletes. with stock parts running back and it doesnt sound nearly as loud as mine but the sound is nice... so im assuming its just the swapping of the test pipes with the cats?

cant drive the car past 3k rpm(where the test pipes kick in via sound)

but I do get a kick out of scaring the S*!t out of people
Old 10-06-2014, 05:39 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Putting the cats back on will help a lot, but at the end of the day with no muffler to baffle the noise, it will still be VERY loud. Not to mention your midpipe has no resonator.

I can only imagine how loud it sounded. When I was changing the exhaust on my B13, I ran straight pipe with no muffler (muffler was not in yet and I needed to drive it) and it was unbearable with the slightest amount of throttle. I did enjoy, as you are now, scaring the crap out of people. Even with the muffler installed now it is still quite loud on deceleration with a lot of backfiring at higher rpm.

I guess swap the cats for now and see what happens. Still will be loud though.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:43 AM
theevesh

thanks for the help... i was thinking that if the cats dont significantly bring down the sound (which I think it will) i might have to do some re arranging...... on my black 03z i have HKS replica exhaust with straight pipes... its prty loud but had no problems with the cops.... but with this im scared even to go to my mechanics without getting pulled over.... as you may know throught your experience... Im going to be very hard to not hear coming xD
Old 10-06-2014, 05:44 AM
theevesh

heres what my black one sounds like

and here is what i found with all stock except muffler delete.. sounds roughly the same in sound if not just quieter or louder just that notch

Old 10-06-2014, 06:37 AM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is mine. I believe this video was taken before the tune and the light flywheel. (youtube is blocked so I can't watch it to verify)

I have the factory exhaust with just a muffler delete. At idle you can barely hear the car running and normal driving it isn't that loud.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrSri90TGmM
Old 10-06-2014, 07:00 AM
theevesh

i will try to do a video of mine before i can get it changed... would be very momentus..... the only differenct between mine and yours would be that i would have no resinator, but i would assume it might be just a step up volume wiese from yours... the reason i went with this because i hated the magnaflow exhaust sound... killed the VQ chime... and now it sounds like a VQ on crack married a formula 1 car = this yellow monster hahah.. thanks for the vid, helpful
Old 10-06-2014, 07:10 AM
theevesh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIvj...ature=youtu.be

sorry I hit stop while i was filming and didnt notice so i didnt catch the bigger revs.... but the sound you hear.. x 2.. and he was only reving to 2k rpm on light pedal press too..
Old 10-06-2014, 07:10 AM
theevesh

there are two videos there^
Old 10-06-2014, 07:26 AM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I would assume no resonator would just make it sound raspy and gross.

As soon as I either get the Z back up on a lift to do my sway bars or get my ART pipes I'll be installing an XYZ pipe with the resonator. More deeper = more better.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:47 AM
radiocrash

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that first video sounds like mine without anything after the cats
Old 10-06-2014, 04:10 PM
craig12895

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

Well I know this is getting full of different videos. But I actually have a video of mine when i did my muffler delete. Still had stock cats, headers, y-pipe, and resonator. So resonator is the only different. And only other performance mod is cold air intake.
Keep in mind OP that even with cats, at 3k rpm there will still be a noticeable increase in sound and it will vibrate everything inside the car.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:52 PM
theevesh

got ti fixed just threqw the cats back on and it sounds amazing

pUhZRkMmT_QXjzs2YwMOQ
Old 10-06-2014, 08:27 PM
theevesh

Its all personal preference.....and video quality does not do videos justice.. Js
Old 10-15-2014, 03:00 PM
ShineMaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has ART pipes, stock headers, stock Y-pipe. stock rear section with semi-gutted muffler (my write-up is on the forum)

Enjoy my sound clip...this is what it sounded like the next day after install, also I have Motordyne ART pipes and Injen Longtube Intakes installed also, which have been on the car for 2 years and are broken in. The rest of the exhaust/intake is OEM factory aside from the modified muffler.