Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Straight piped 350z HR

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 04:35 PM
08andawesome

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the agency power it's loud as hell and turns heads everywhere. Mines a hr too and it sounds oh so good.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:34 AM
Toneloc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Straight pipe... Seriously?... If I heard any sports car with a straight pipe on the street I would instantly feel that person is an attention ***** idiot that is in his late teens...

Buy a legit exhaust yes it cost money and sounds a hell of allot about better then no muffler... My exhaust is z1 hfc-magnaflow xpipe- injen catback. It only gets noticeably louder above 3500rpm and low decibel drive on highway...

Yes I know it's not my vehicle but do understand you represent all z's when you are on the street sounding like a straight pipe pissed off 92 grandam annoying people doesn't do anything good for the z culture.

Last edited by Toneloc; 06-07-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:40 AM
JaxonGT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
when i had my 08 with art pipes and tdx2, i got pulled over for several times for being loud
really? i have had the same setup for a year and a half now and it's so quiet at low revs never had a problem with cops and being too loud. now if i were at 4+ grand on the tach everywhere that may be a different story. tdx2 screams at 3500+
Old 06-07-2015, 06:55 AM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

With the cats it's loud but it's not the worst. I have a 3" turndown somewhere I made to replace the muffler section with to run for track use, there will be zero power gain but removing the 30lb muffler helps. Without cats you must have some sort of muffler for street use, I tried it for a day and it was just absurdly loud.

I ran cats, stock nismo midpipe and the muffler delete and it sounded very good, but a tad on the loud side.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:16 AM
AGreenZ

Originally Posted by Italianjoe1
With the cats it's loud but it's not the worst. I have a 3" turndown somewhere I made to replace the muffler section with to run for track use, there will be zero power gain but removing the 30lb muffler helps. Without cats you must have some sort of muffler for street use, I tried it for a day and it was just absurdly loud.

I ran cats, stock nismo midpipe and the muffler delete and it sounded very good, but a tad on the loud side.
Yea some guy I met had a Z with straight pipes from the cat back. The reason being he had it lowered and didnt want to spend tons of $$ on a nice exhaust for it to get scratched up. It sounded really good and he said he gained HP ont he dyno so I thought it was a pretty solid set up. Good to know though. I checked out the Agency power exhaust and that is bad ***!
Old 06-07-2015, 09:19 AM
Sash91

I have a straight piped HR with just Stillen Gen3's. Everything else stock. It sounds pretty good with my stock cats. If you go catless, thats a different story. It will rasp crazy
Old 06-07-2015, 09:48 AM
AGreenZ

Originally Posted by Sash91
I have a straight piped HR with just Stillen Gen3's. Everything else stock. It sounds pretty good with my stock cats. If you go catless, thats a different story. It will rasp crazy
No If i go the straight pipe route I wont be going catless. Just fromt he cats back.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:13 AM
Sash91

Originally Posted by AGreenZ
No If i go the straight pipe route I wont be going catless. Just fromt he cats back.
Yeah that will be acceptable. It will crackle and pop on an neon SRT4 level
Old 06-07-2015, 09:28 PM
Fun40zx

Your real gains are in the cats. I have resonated test pipes and topspeed strightpipe exhaust with a x pipe.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:40 PM
Wietse350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got pulled over a few days ago with my Motordyne exhaust.
They wanted to do a decibel measurement but were unable due to their tool that supposed to pick up a signal from the ignition to determine the engine rpm's was not getting a good reading.
Guess the HR engine has more then enough shielding around the ignition components to keep the cops their tool out :-)

No correct measurement, no fine
Old 06-08-2015, 05:10 AM
AGreenZ

Originally Posted by Wietse350Z
I got pulled over a few days ago with my Motordyne exhaust.
They wanted to do a decibel measurement but were unable due to their tool that supposed to pick up a signal from the ignition to determine the engine rpm's was not getting a good reading.
Guess the HR engine has more then enough shielding around the ignition components to keep the cops their tool out :-)

No correct measurement, no fine
lol thats awesome
Old 06-09-2015, 10:24 PM
ipodhustle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dkmura
Do a bit of research around here and you'll find CAIs deliver very little gains. As for the exhaust, you'll still need a tune to take advantage of the straight pipe and in any event the upgrade will be mild (5-8 hp). It won't be discernible unless you take it to the dyno...
there's a guy who baseline'd his car and then changed nothing but added injens CAI's same day on his HR and gained 8whp.

but it is arguable that, other than a custom intake setup...the injen is considered the best option...with the stillen gen 3 coming in at a very close second. depends who you talk to, though.

anyways OP since there are NO emissions in FL just get test pipes and run whatever exhaust setup you want after. if you want test pipes but wanna cut down on rasp run art pipes. but, if you are seriously considering straight piping, i think rasp is something you won't worry about.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:36 AM
Golden_Armz

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Resonated test pipes don't have rasp. I have the seonated test pipes with invida gemini exhaust. Sound is very deep and mellow with zero rasp. Some drone in the highway around 3k rpm. Test pipes are awesome on open throttle in the freeway. But other than that you will lose torque. You will notice that driving through the city. Reving up to 6k just to keep up with a honda civic, lol. Gonna get ART pipes, when my fund gets up.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:34 AM
AGreenZ

Originally Posted by Golden_Armz
Resonated test pipes don't have rasp. I have the seonated test pipes with invida gemini exhaust. Sound is very deep and mellow with zero rasp. Some drone in the highway around 3k rpm. Test pipes are awesome on open throttle in the freeway. But other than that you will lose torque. You will notice that driving through the city. Reving up to 6k just to keep up with a honda civic, lol. Gonna get ART pipes, when my fund gets up.

Sorry this is a super late response! But I find it very hard to believe I would have trouble keeping up with a Honda civic if I went with straight pipes from the cat back. Are you just guessing or is this from exp? Because everyone that I have spoken with or the videos I have seen online say something completely different. Right now I have dual vortex K&N ram air intakes which is bringing in extra air but I am not getting rid of it faster. Straight piping my car from the cats back should and most likely will increase the HP because of the extra airflow.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:50 AM
AGreenZ

Originally Posted by Toneloc
Straight pipe... Seriously?... If I heard any sports car with a straight pipe on the street I would instantly feel that person is an attention ***** idiot that is in his late teens...

Buy a legit exhaust yes it cost money and sounds a hell of allot about better then no muffler... My exhaust is z1 hfc-magnaflow xpipe- injen catback. It only gets noticeably louder above 3500rpm and low decibel drive on highway...

Yes I know it's not my vehicle but do understand you represent all z's when you are on the street sounding like a straight pipe pissed off 92 grandam annoying people doesn't do anything good for the z culture.
As far as this whole rant goes here you go.

if you think that sounds bad than I have no clue what you think sounds good.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:12 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

if you think that sounds bad than I have no clue what you think sounds good.
I don't think the idea is that straight pipe does not sound good on the Z. What people are saying is that it is unreasonable to have on a street car. It is obnoxiously loud, and realistically is unbearable when you have to deal with it on a daily basis.

I had many exhausts with all my cars, and yes, the loudest one I ever had I thought sounded the best, but at the same time, it wasn't worth the headache. The countless tickets I got, the countless nasty looks I got, and the huge migraines I would get after long trips made me get rid of it.

It is the idea of practicality that makes us believe having straight pipes on a street car is not a good idea.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:51 PM
AGreenZ

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
I don't think the idea is that straight pipe does not sound good on the Z. What people are saying is that it is unreasonable to have on a street car. It is obnoxiously loud, and realistically is unbearable when you have to deal with it on a daily basis.

I had many exhausts with all my cars, and yes, the loudest one I ever had I thought sounded the best, but at the same time, it wasn't worth the headache. The countless tickets I got, the countless nasty looks I got, and the huge migraines I would get after long trips made me get rid of it.

It is the idea of practicality that makes us believe having straight pipes on a street car is not a good idea.
Makes sense
Old 06-18-2015, 01:17 PM
Golden_Armz

Sorry this is a super late response! But I find it very hard to believe I would have trouble keeping up with a Honda civic if I went with straight pipes from the cat back. Are you just guessing or is this from exp? Because everyone that I have spoken with or the videos I have seen online say something completely different. Right now I have dual vortex K&N ram air intakes which is bringing in extra air but I am not getting rid of it faster. Straight piping my car from the cats back should and most likely will increase the HP because of the extra airflow.
The best way to explain it is, from a light, I will have to rev your car a lot higher to keep up with normal traffic. There's a lack of grunt on 1st gear and second gear power does,t come till At least 4.5k. By the time u hit 3Rd gear u should be up to speed, but your making all kinds of noise By then.Like someone mentioned above, test pipes are beneficial if your rev band is always above 4.5k or more.

Last edited by Golden_Armz; 06-18-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:00 PM
Golden_Armz

It's awesome if your constantly racing, like on a track. Or on the freeway, with full throttle. But everyday normal stop and go traffic, it gets annoying.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:51 AM
JaxonGT

not sure what exhaust setup you're using but my test pipes (motordyne ART) didnt make any noticeable difference in acceleration. its deeper and a bit louder at lower revs but it isnt obnoxious and i most definitely am not having to over rev the **** out of it to keep up with traffic. revving to 3k and shifting still works perfectly fine after test pipes as it did when the car was stock.

Quick Reply: Straight piped 350z HR