Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Which exhaust to go with, stillen or injen

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 01:51 PM
sith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my Injen.. Although i am thinking about selling it for the Topspeed Pro N-1 because of the 3" piping and the different sound...Cause i do plan to go F/I

but to say the Injen sounds like a Honda??? Have you heard one in real life?
http://idahostreetracing.com/gallery...s/Untitled.wmv
right click and save that video and tell me that sounds like a honda.
My exhaust in that video i think is sweet sounding.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:57 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by sith
I love my Injen.. Although i am thinking about selling it for the Topspeed Pro N-1 because of the 3" piping and the different sound...Cause i do plan to go F/I

but to say the Injen sounds like a Honda??? Have you heard one in real life?
http://idahostreetracing.com/gallery...s/Untitled.wmv
right click and save that video and tell me that sounds like a honda.
My exhaust in that video i think is sweet sounding.
I've heard it in person, that ain't no honda, top 3 Z exhaust system for sound quality, IMO.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:01 PM
sith

what are your other top 2?
i must say i think the Topspeed is right up there.

I dunno i kind of want more of a Supra, Skyline sound in mine.
My friend with Greddy Titanium on his Supra Single Turbo has got me falling in love and now i want that sound.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:23 PM
PainProphet

I've decided on the Stillen after I get my Z so far, I did like injen but after hearing it in that video I know I'm looking for a deaper tone than that. sounded too poppy or some sh**
Old 02-13-2004, 05:09 PM
sith

The Injen is one of 2 that i've heard that are the deepest.
It rattles everything and vibrates everything.
It sounds alittle more high pitched at WOT but definetly Deep... Deep enough when not driving it and driving a friends car and my friend punches it next to me it rattles my ear drum to the point i have to plug my ear.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:07 PM
zzzya

Well maserom obviously doesn't know what he is talking about saying the Borla is the only true dual, but that aside, the Injen is an awesome sounding exhaust. The newer version changes a couple of things in the design like straight tips instead of angled and flex piping off the cats instead of solid bent piping. With test pipes that do not have resonators, nearly everyone has complained about a raspy sound, so it is not the cat back, rather the test pipes. I have headers, HF cats and the Injen and really enjoy the sound. It is as sith has stated, so deep that it can rattle your brain. That only tends to happen when the throttle is dropped at very low rpms and the engine is trying to pull in the air it needs. At constant rpms or getting on the throttle above 3 k rpms the sound is killer.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:40 PM
JPCo

Originally posted by maserom
Borla is the only true dual exhaust... Best hp/tq gains over Stillen, Injen, HKS, 5Zigen, Veilside, etc.
Get your facts right before you make claims you can't support.

Take a look at this pic and tell me the Stillen IS NOT a dual exhaust.

Last edited by JPCo; 05-28-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:07 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by MGV156
Ares,
I didn't call the Borla a "true" dual. To my understanding, a "true" dual is separate piping for each cylinder bank. Separate piping would have it's own cats and muffler, right? The Borla design incorporates both piping into 1 muffler. My question is, and disregarding the crossover at the H pipe, is the piping independent inside the muffler? Therein lies the accuracy of "true dual."

Yes, you're correct about the Stillen.
sorry I was unclear, I was agreeing with you, and disputing the other guys comment on borla being the only "true dual". lol it did sound like I was directing my comment at you though.

I want me some injen action.

even though I am torn between straight or angled.

this was my last vehicle, I swear Im not mexican, but if theres such a thing as redneck rice, here it is(you should see the front). I loved that exhaust. as the installer put it, when someones behind you, should they see 2 holes, or 2 chrome tips.

by the way, no more whining about rear visibility, try driving with THAT over your window.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:43 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a question about the dyno graphs in Sport Z magazine, in the Injen graph, is that really a loss below 2200rpm? Or is that an error in the graph?
Old 02-14-2004, 06:13 PM
MGV156

Ares,
I didn't take your comment too harsh. I figured there might have been a bit of misunderstanding there, but I wanted to clarify that.

To everyone else,
The only way to determine which exhaust is right for you is to hear it in person. Some of the soundfiles posted are about 80% of what the actual sound is (i.e. the sound files created by Sport Z magazine during the exhaust shoot out). If you do decide to get an exhaust based on soundfiles, at least listen to how it sounds under load, not at stand-still revs.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:11 PM
PainProphet

I originally though the injen sounded better and was going mearly by sound, but I'm more worried about performance gains. From the posts that I have seen everying put in, it seems like Stillen is the best one, even though over priced, has almost the highest hp gains, and the highest tq gains. But I need to do a search and look at this Sport Z exhaust shootout so I can look at the whole power band in the dynos, if they had that

It looks like I can order just the old issue that this review was in and not subscribe, anyone know what issue this was in, what month that is, thanks

Last edited by PainProphet; 02-14-2004 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:57 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey, if you find the thread that has the dyno graph's, could you please post the link to it here.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:36 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by PainProphet
It looks like I can order just the old issue that this review was in and not subscribe, anyone know what issue this was in, what month that is, thanks
Volume 3, Issue 4, Fall 2003
Old 02-15-2004, 06:32 AM
NY 350Z

what about the APEXI...it looks nice,sounds nice and itsnt that expensive
Old 02-15-2004, 10:52 AM
pricanz

Originally posted by maserom
Go with the Borla if you like the stock sound of you z, with a little deeper note and slighlty louder. Go with the Injen if you want your z to sound like a Honda. Injen has built their second exhaust system, since they screwed up on the first. BORLA, guaranteed for 1 million miles. Great sound. 13 hp gain.
im getting the borla and the helix test pipesnext week, now Im wondering how loud is this going to be

NE1 out there with test pipes and borla combo?
would love to hear some sounds too
thanks-

Jose
Old 02-15-2004, 11:35 AM
o snap its eric

Whats wrong with Nismo. It says their power bandwidth is wide untlike the others. I think a wider power bandwidth is way better than just a enourmous power peak. They also do a decent tq and hp gain.

My plans are going with nismo and kenetix hi flo cats.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:29 PM
zzzya

One problem with that exhaust shootout is that on a stock vehicle you still have the stock air box, plenum cats and so on. Who knows what will happen to the HP/TQ curve with the different exhausts once you start making more modifications. Its all about synergy. I would pick the exhaust based on build quality, sound characteristics, weight and looks. Performance is obviously something that needs to be there but long term plans need to be considered when it comes to performance, FI or staying N/A for example.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:42 AM
3rdpower

Default Loud Set up

I've been running this set up roughly 20k miles... it's loud... it's fast... it's goowd power...

Up through AEI intake through CrawfordZ Plenum in stock internals out through stock headers, down cat-throughs, into Borla, out the tooter.

I cannot compair to other exhausts on the market because I only have one except for stock but I will say that it's MUCH faster then when I first got it. It needs a ECU Flash now
Old 02-19-2004, 04:48 PM
jckolnturn

You shouldn't decide based on sound alone either. Look at each exhaust and the quality of the build. The Nismo exhaust looks like a work of art and Injen has real nice materials and welds. I don't care for Borla because it uses a number of clamps to hold all it's pieces together, but they have been in business a long time so they are doing something right. I think RS*R uses a lower grade stainless than the rest.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:52 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont dismiss weight on them. stillen might make an extra HP but it also weighs like 30lbs more. might consider that offsetting... particularly being more expensive.