Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

3", 3.5", & 4" intakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 08:19 AM
onevq35de

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

It's not. I didn't think about doing it this way until I came across detailed specifics concerning pressure drop regarding diameter, length and bends.
If I were to do it over and use the battery box, I would 1st try for cowl induction, one issue being a/c and heat are drawn into the cabin from this area. If those efforts didn't pan out, I'd think about a way to draw air via the wheel well. Straight shot down though this might cause a negative pressure situation. An interesting route would be to install a scoop to the hood above the battery box with a good seal in place so it's air tight when the hood is closed. That could look pretty ****ing trick but would be the most costly option with all the metal work and paint involved.

By far the easiest and most painless thing to do is to buy a pipe from Admin Tuning, let the man tune it and call it a day.

Last edited by onevq35de; 05-12-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:53 PM
Strollo22

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hijacking this thread but the question posed is still relevant to my question. Has there been any further information or research done in regards to an larger sized intake on an HR engine? Would love to upgrade the intake system for my 08 but not wanting to waste money either.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:58 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I would look at what Z1 offers as far as intake upgrades. They seem to have a few good packages that HR guys are making gains on.

I think the bottle-neck on the DE engine is the U-turn neck of the plenum and the throttle body itself. I'm sure a larger intake tube would help (as it does on the DEs) but some of the inherent flaws of the DEs were ironed out on the HR.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:00 PM
onevq35de

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

Oooo...a reason to post the most recent pic of my engine bay. This site is littered with my trash.
Admin Tuning has what you need. It's a shame that they're so long and with huge bends but they're trying to get some air from outside the bay.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:07 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by onevq35de
This site is littered with my trash.
Makes two of us...

happy you chimed in - was thinking you'd jump all over my **** for posting my previous post!?!?! ... am I messed up thinking the neck and TB are more of a choke point than the intake tube itself?

Old 01-02-2019, 08:19 PM
Strollo22

Originally Posted by bealljk
Makes two of us...

happy you chimed in - was thinking you'd jump all over my **** for posting my previous post!?!?! ... am I messed up thinking the neck and TB are more of a choke point than the intake tube itself?
No, you’re absolutely correct as far as DE is concerned. HR not so much. Most posts I see say the stock intake boxes work best. I was just curious if upgrading TB and MAF port with larger intakes would still work for an HR
Old 01-02-2019, 09:19 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Strollo22
larger intakes would still work for an HR
So I'm not sure how much carry over the 35HR has with the 37VHR (although the description says it bolts to the HR 350z). I'm not entirely impressed with their promotional videos as (I believe - which all may be in my head) I think I smell some BS and wishful thinking but I've also seen worse. With that being said, I do like Z1 and think highly of them ...

With all that being said - take this with a grain of salt.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:36 AM
MatthewBouchard

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk
So I'm not sure how much carry over the 35HR has with the 37VHR (although the description says it bolts to the HR 350z). I'm not entirely impressed with their promotional videos as (I believe - which all may be in my head) I think I smell some BS and wishful thinking but I've also seen worse. With that being said, I do like Z1 and think highly of them ...

With all that being said - take this with a grain of salt.

https://youtu.be/5Rkj6xBHMCc
I find their numbers really inflated compared to others.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:56 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by MatthewBouchard
I find their numbers really inflated compared to others.
Would doubt it … right/wrong/indifferent - at the end of the day they are in the business of selling numbers
Old 01-03-2019, 03:33 PM
Strollo22

Also not a fan of having to modify my crash bar to make them fit
Old 01-06-2019, 04:38 AM
jellofuel

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

If I'm honest, I would call Z1 to verify their dyno results. They recently finished testing various intakes on the HR, and found no gains with over-sized intakes. If you get the Z1 intakes for the HR, you only need to get the crash bar modified if you get their velocity stacks. The normal filters don't require modifying the crash bar.

I have a cammed DE, and the bottleneck does seem to be the elbow in the upper plenum. I'm tempted to get a Velocity manifold, or do some custom, one-off manifold like Michael Gardner's. I'm running the revup lower plenum, and while it holds power up top, screaming past 7500 rpm, I'm now focusing on higher peak numbers.

I did add a plenum spacer back in, and swapped in different exhaust parts, but haven't had the time to schedule dyno tuning for final numbers.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:59 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by jellofuel
If I'm honest, I would call Z1 to verify their dyno results. They recently finished testing various intakes on the HR, and found no gains with over-sized intakes. If you get the Z1 intakes for the HR, you only need to get the crash bar modified if you get their velocity stacks. The normal filters don't require modifying the crash bar.

I have a cammed DE, and the bottleneck does seem to be the elbow in the upper plenum. I'm tempted to get a Velocity manifold, or do some custom, one-off manifold like Michael Gardner's. I'm running the revup lower plenum, and while it holds power up top, screaming past 7500 rpm, I'm now focusing on higher peak numbers.

I did add a plenum spacer back in, and swapped in different exhaust parts, but haven't had the time to schedule dyno tuning for final numbers.
You could probably find a velocity manifold from a 3.5 altima and fabricate from their, they seem to be way less expensive and dont have the same elbow on them...

Just something to think about as it seems your putting a lot of effort into getting those numbers up.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:42 PM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

If peak numbers matter to you the velocity of out of the question. It is better than stock or stock + spacer but it mainly makes the power curve better and the car faster. Peak power is usually a little lower from what I've seen.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:30 AM
RobPhoboS

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Great thread !
Good drama with a nice ending

Unfortunately, it seems like I'll be ordering one of Kinetix Velocity intakes too (£££), as it seems it should complement my build (DE, 75mm TB, rev up pump,C8 cams, JWT spec'd PPE long tubes, bottom end rebuild coming + billet gears). I didn't really want to spend much more
Old 04-09-2019, 07:27 PM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

Seems like a nice build keep us updated!
The following users liked this post:
RobPhoboS (04-10-2019)