Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

NEW S-Tune Exhaust for Z33

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 02:06 PM
podam

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Good info Podam! This should help others make a decision. If I were doing it all over again (and I did on my Z34N), it'd be a no-brainer. I like Nissan original parts - despite the cost. This new S-Tune sounds pretty good, maybe a tad quieter than the original Weldina but I don't think anyone would notice.

Here's my question about a lot of exhaust systems in general.... Polished? Why polished? Who sees it other than when the car's on a lift or jack stands? Yet another thing to clean. Hahahahaha. <===Rhetorical question of course because it does LOOK great coming out of the box.
yes polished may seems a bit of overkill but the rear muffler looks quite good when looking at my Z.

The following users liked this post:
PainProphet (12-30-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 02:09 PM
podam

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
No, I messed up, the one they had the video of was the dual so I guess it's r-tune? I think the dual sounds pretty good.
yes I think this is the r tune but the sound is only captured from not good angle and make difficult to appreciate the sound but I read on this forum a member who did buy it and report lot of drone.
on the other hand the new s tune really sound a bit like mini stock GTR. I think that adding HFC would free up a bit of sound as it is a bit muffled for now
Old 12-10-2019, 02:11 PM
podam

Originally Posted by Teddygrammin
I just purchased the new s tune system including the y-pipe from Z1. It should be arriving soon and i'll post up pics
looking to hearing your feedback on the exhaust system:-)
have you received it?
Old 12-11-2019, 07:40 PM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by podam
yes I think this is the r tune but the sound is only captured from not good angle and make difficult to appreciate the sound but I read on this forum a member who did buy it and report lot of drone.
on the other hand the new s tune really sound a bit like mini stock GTR. I think that adding HFC would free up a bit of sound as it is a bit muffled for now
Drone is usually part of the package, that along with the trumpet meme. Hard to get that perfect exhaust tone unfortunately, mine lost a bit of the VQ howl but it also lost the "trumpet" aspect of it as well so I'm not too sad about it. You know how VQ owners know what a VQ sounds like without seeing the car? Mine would throw you off at WOT, in the low end it sounds like a meaner VQ so I sorta have the best of both worlds I guess.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:16 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,261 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Whenever we’re out and about and I hear (not see) a Z (or G or anything with a VQ) start or drive by, my neck snaps to look while saying “Zeeeeee”.......

Half the time or more it’s not a Z; rather an Infiniti SUV. 😆

My wife just looks at me weird. Sometimes asking, “How and WHY do you know these things?!” 🤔

The following 2 users liked this post by MicVelo:
DarkZ03 (12-11-2019), rustyschopshop (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 09:03 PM
DarkZ03

For real it's a 6th sense after a while of being around them lol.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:45 AM
podam

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Good info Podam! This should help others make a decision. If I were doing it all over again (and I did on my Z34N), it'd be a no-brainer. I like Nissan original parts - despite the cost. This new S-Tune sounds pretty good, maybe a tad quieter than the original Weldina but I don't think anyone would notice.

Here's my question about a lot of exhaust systems in general.... Polished? Why polished? Who sees it other than when the car's on a lift or jack stands? Yet another thing to clean. Hahahahaha. <===Rhetorical question of course because it does LOOK great coming out of the box.
that was also my first thought to go with Nissan part except this time Nissan did outsource to Mackin Industries MXP for this S Tune, I wish they kept original Japanese made product for this price tag.
has someone even heard about MXP exhaust ?
i don’t have original s tune to compare but the new one (MXP) muffler is smaller width and as noted in the first post the connection to the mid pipe is softer hence i feel the flow is less constrained and sound little softer.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:51 AM
podam

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Drone is usually part of the package, that along with the trumpet meme. Hard to get that perfect exhaust tone unfortunately, mine lost a bit of the VQ howl but it also lost the "trumpet" aspect of it as well so I'm not too sad about it. You know how VQ owners know what a VQ sounds like without seeing the car? Mine would throw you off at WOT, in the low end it sounds like a meaner VQ so I sorta have the best of both worlds I guess.
are you referring to your original s tune exhaust (Weldina)? Or the new one described in this post.
from my taste I wanted to avoid the trumpet effect of many other exhaust and found s tune to be the perfect balance but I couldn’t find a used System either in France or on eBay ...
I may try to add HFC to my system and see if the sound is a bit more powerful.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:59 PM
DarkZ03

The drone part just exhaust systems in general, as to my lack of trumpet...no I don't have the s-tune but I've heard it and wasn't a fan, I have Tomei headers, HFC, and HKS twin (not Hi Power) I love the sound.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:22 PM
Jim Stephens

Received 444 Likes on 294 Posts

Just installed this exhaust last week. Very happy with it and the sound level. I bought the car with an Agency exhaust which was loud all the time. I mean you better have a kick *** sound system if you even want to hear it loud.
podam (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 06:23 AM
podam

Originally Posted by Jim Stephens
Just installed this exhaust last week. Very happy with it and the sound level. I bought the car with an Agency exhaust which was loud all the time. I mean you better have a kick *** sound system if you even want to hear it loud.
Hi Jim! We are now the only 2 to have the same system installed, few questions for you:
- is it a DE or HR?
- Any fitment issue? Mine is quite hard to get the muffler aligned resulting in having left exhaust tip recesses and right one out. I had to constrain as much i could the rubber silent blocks .
- How does it compare to the Original S tune? For me it sound little quiet but i agree with you below 3K sounds like stock and very minimal if no drone at all
- Do you have stock Intake? I installed the Nismo dual cones intake

I am planning to go for Test pipe to get the full potential of that exhaust system.

if you have any picture or video please feel free to share here!

Old 12-17-2019, 11:04 AM
Jim Stephens

Hi Jim! We are now the only 2 to have the same system installed, few questions for you:
- is it a DE or HR?
- Any fitment issue? Mine is quite hard to get the muffler aligned resulting in having left exhaust tip recesses and right one out. I had to constrain as much i could the rubber silent blocks .
- How does it compare to the Original S tune? For me it sound little quiet but i agree with you below 3K sounds like stock and very minimal if no drone at all
- Do you have stock Intake? I installed the Nismo dual cones intake

I am planning to go for Test pipe to get the full potential of that exhaust system.

if you have any picture or video please feel free to share here!
1. I have a DE
2. I was going to say "NO", but I went back out and looked harder at it. Picture Coming. You are right, the left (driver side comes out slightly more than the passenger side) I guess that is the opposite of you? However, I bet given the"play" of the rubber hangers it would be likely I can shift it a bit. Not really something I even noticed before, so not bad. I might play with it a bit. I don't think it is a mount issue, just the rubber hangers allow for quite a bit of shifting.
3. I can only compare it to the Agency Power single exhaust because that is what the car came with. That exhaust is known to be very loud.
4. My intake is basically stock with a plenum spacer installed. I also am still using the original Y pipe. I am told that piece will add some more horsepower, so I might replace it down the road.

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 12-17-2019 at 12:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim Stephens:
PainProphet (12-30-2019), podam (05-25-2020)
Old 12-17-2019, 12:10 PM
podam

Hi Jim

Thanks a lot for your precious feedback! to comment back on the points below:
2. Correct I did invert my explanation the driver side ( same as You in US) comes out much more .. but my rear bumper is slightly different than yours and I have 2 cut out for the tips that make the alignment more obvious thank your wide open cut out.
well seems recurrent on this system, I first adjusted the right tips but it was at maximum extension so I finally constrain the muffler a bit with locking the hanging metal pin bar with metal bracket.
3. Yes your previous must be very loud compared to this one. This new Nismo is quite surprising in sound and differ a lot from previous s tune. It sound very deep and low.
4. I may also revert to my stock intake , I lost low end power with the dual Nismo

Love the color ! Looking forward to watch your video to see how it compared to a HR
Old 12-17-2019, 12:52 PM
Jim Stephens

Hi Jim

Thanks a lot for your precious feedback! to comment back on the points below:
2. Correct I did invert my explanation the driver side ( same as You in US) comes out much more .. but my rear bumper is slightly different than yours and I have 2 cut out for the tips that make the alignment more obvious thank your wide open cut out.
well seems recurrent on this system, I first adjusted the right tips but it was at maximum extension so I finally constrain the muffler a bit with locking the hanging metal pin bar with metal bracket.
3. Yes your previous must be very loud compared to this one. This new Nismo is quite surprising in sound and differ a lot from previous s tune. It sound very deep and low.
4. I may also revert to my stock intake , I lost low end power with the dual Nismo

Love the color ! Looking forward to watch your video to see how it compared to a HR
Thanks on the color! You cannot tell because it was a cloudy day, but the paint has a crazy amount of metal flake in it. Just realized you are from France, so I get we are talking about the same side essentially. Now that you have pointed it out to me, I am going to take a look at it this weekend if I get some time. I can see how your bumper would be less forgiving because of the symmetrical exhaust openings you have. Actually, I do like that "look" better than mine.
podam (05-25-2020)
Old 12-17-2019, 01:05 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,059 Likes on 6,523 Posts

Jim you have the "bumper tuck" done to your car. Looks great with tdx2 and nismo rear diff cover, but for exhaust like yours it (imho) doent look as good

I can post pics tomorrow when on a computer showing ya before and after on my old car

Last edited by travlee; 12-17-2019 at 01:07 PM.
podam (05-25-2020)
Old 12-17-2019, 01:52 PM
Jim Stephens

Originally Posted by travlee
Jim you have the "bumper tuck" done to your car. Looks great with tdx2 and nismo rear diff cover, but for exhaust like yours it (imho) doent look as good

I can post pics tomorrow when on a computer showing ya before and after on my old car
Thanks, I would like to see that. A different rear and front end are in the future. I wondered if a tuck had been done.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:25 PM
travlee
Master

I guarantee it... go peak under the middle area of bumper, prob some screws and fender washers
Old 12-17-2019, 03:34 PM
Jim Stephens

Originally Posted by travlee
I guarantee it... go peak under the middle area of bumper, prob some screws and fender washers
Yep. Here it is with the the Agency exhaust. Ironically without the Z1 Diff. Cover installed at that point. You can see it has been tucked

Last edited by Jim Stephens; 12-17-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:05 PM
Jim Stephens

Right before I put the Nismo exhaust in. Diff and new bushings.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:05 AM
travlee
Master

i couldnt find any pics of me doing the tuck, but here you can see it.... two different exhausts (kinda hard to see because of it being black)

untucked was invidia gemini

tucked was motordyne tdx2

Quick Reply: NEW S-Tune Exhaust for Z33