Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

REVIEW: Kinetix Plenum

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 04:36 PM
FLY BY Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REVIEW: Kinetix Plenum

Installation was done yesterday, Feb 25th. It was not very hard at all. You simply remove the hoses, two in the back near the bottom of the throttle body and one on the side, and remove the bolts in the center (6) and the bolts surrounding the plenum.

Reinstall the Kinetix plenum opposite of how you removed it. There are a couple things to remember, though, as I winged it with no instructions. The four extra bolts that exist after you complete installation and are not able to start the car are to fill the holes in the lower plenum that are left behind by the Kintetix going from 6 to 2 support bolts. If you don't fill the holes with the supplied screws the car won't run. Try to remember this before you complete installation. Also, overtightening any of the bolts will result in cracking your plenum. I cracked it a little on the very front mounting location. That pissed me off but it is not a crack anywhere crucial and it did not go all the way up to the bolt head. I filled the crack with plastic weld and so far so good. Be careful there.

After I had my epiphany on why the car wouldn't run and installed the four internal screws, I took it for a drive. I reset the ECU and went out. Immediatley I felt the difference. Now, I have several decent mods on my car (NA) and was thinking that this might turn out to be one of those Law of Diminishing Returns mods. Uh, no. HUGE difference in pull. As soon as I laid into the throttle I realized that this was a damn worthwhile modification. The RPMs turned much faster than before and I cannot wait to get it to the 1/4 mile to see the difference. As soon as it is possible for him to do it, I am having Fisherspeed dyno tune my ECU to dial it in completley (he has already partially tuned the computer and will just complete it). Overall, I cannot think of one negative thing to say about this. My strut bar fits (very closely), it makes very noticeable power, and it is easy to install, and I have my stock plenum still, and and and. I am excited. This is a great mod and worth every penny as far as I am concerned. Yay.
Attached Thumbnails REVIEW: Kinetix Plenum-dsc00817.jpg  
Old 02-26-2004, 04:47 PM
genieman17

I have a question for ya. The kinetix plenum has a dip for the strut bar, but on the under-side of the plenum can you see the dip? Wouldn't the dip interfere with the flow a little?

Looks really good though.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:58 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Me too

I'll hopefully be receiving my Kinetix Plenum and High Flow Cats tomorrow afternoon and am planning to install them Saturday. Glad to hear that you like the Plenum, FLY BY Z.

-Chrismcagle
Old 02-26-2004, 05:06 PM
SJTrackZ

Sounds good! Hey, I was wondering if you had any shots of where you relocated the grounding kit? Just curious to see. I should have mine by the end of next week. (maybe )
Old 02-26-2004, 05:09 PM
apsilon

Picky I know but I thought the colour had been fixed. That's still way off IMO.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:25 PM
AParshall04

i think the gunmetal looks sick as hell
Old 02-26-2004, 05:48 PM
lsdunique

I am glad to hear the install was fairly easy for you.

We include some good threadlock for all the bolts that hold the main flange down because they require very little torque to install correctly due to the nice soft gasket we supply.

As soon as the flange is pulled down when tightening, dont wait until the plastic starts to compress because then it is too tight!! just make sure to use the threadlock, and I wouldnt run it for about a half hour so the threadlock has time to set in.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:49 PM
JST4FN

Thats good to hear. I decided to wait on a few reviews before I ordered. Thanks for posting the info.
Mike
Old 02-26-2004, 05:53 PM
Ultimateone

Great review, I should be ordering mine soon since I ordered something else the other day
Old 02-26-2004, 06:07 PM
wren57
Banned

Why did you get yours so early? Just curious... mine keeps getting delayed again and again...
Old 02-26-2004, 06:12 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the black was going to be the same as the cover etc.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:20 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Notice any change in sound?
Old 02-26-2004, 07:35 PM
all_bark

very nice, welcome to the club!

Its good to hear MORE positive reviews from the newest of plenum owners.

One more word of caution to people......

when installing the new plenum, make sure you do not start tightening down the bolts until you have checked to make sure the rubber gasket thing that surrounds the oil filler cap is NOT UNDER THE PLENUM.

Believe it or not i made that mistake more than a few times when I was installing, removing, reinstalling, removing, installing, etc. etc. When you realize it AFTER tightening down some bolts it really starts to annoy you......(even more so when you do it two, three and then a forth time!)
Old 02-26-2004, 07:41 PM
ChrisMCagle

Talking Yahoo!!!

Yippee!!! I just got my tracking number. My Cats and Plenum will be arriving tomorrow!!!

-Chrismcagle
Old 02-26-2004, 08:31 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

you mentioned reset the ecu. is this necessary after the plenum installation?

thanks..
Old 02-26-2004, 08:46 PM
JPizzle

I also thought that the color had been fixed =\
Can you make it the same color as the polished black that crawford is putting out?
Old 02-26-2004, 09:14 PM
FLY BY Z

I am sure the ECU reset is not NECESSARY but I wanted to (I reset it after every mod). I feel like it will give it a fresh start on the learning process. Just something I do, no big deal.

The dip for the strut bar is way extreme on the outside, but inside, it is really extremely marginally there. It is very small. I have a hard time believing that it affects airflow at all (although I am sure it may in some immeasurable amount).

Yes, the color is not exact. However, this is one of the very early ones and I am not 100% that the color is how they all will be. Mine was also delayed about two weeks just like the rest that are coming out. I was one of the lucky ones sitting somewhere around the top of the production list. I think I may run with the engine cover off anyways as the Nissan emblem fell off.

My exhaust is sort of loud, NISMO/no cats, so the sound difference is only audible between shifts. It is not a whistle or a woo. It really is hard to explain as all-bark has mentioned some time ago. Sort of a barely audible gurgle. I like the way it sounds a lot actually. You can almost hear it breathe.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:26 PM
kgb

Default Re: REVIEW: Kinetix Plenum

Originally posted by FLY BY Z

Also, overtightening any of the bolts will result in cracking your plenum. I cracked it a little on the very front mounting location. That pissed me off but it is not a crack anywhere crucial and it did not go all the way up to the bolt head. I filled the crack with plastic weld and so far so good. Be careful there.

I have misgivings about this plenum. If a crack is caused by a simple over tightening of a bolt at a mounting point, will cracks develop at the mounting points in extremely cold weather? They will be under stress. How brittle is this plastic?

Thanks for being truthful about your experience.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:37 PM
lsdunique

The material is not brittle, we are thinking of doing a "demonstration" for our website where we abuse one of our plenums.

It has a very high impact strength.

Quick Reply: REVIEW: Kinetix Plenum