Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Kinetix Plenum Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 04:07 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinetix Plenum Install

I got the Plenum Thursday and did the install yesterday. I used ChrisMCagle's instructions, and it is a pretty simple install.

Make sure you double check all of the fittings to make sure they are clear, I didn't and found the brake boost line was completely cloged with some glue and had no brakes when I went for e trest drive.

Anyone installing it should do like Duflacci did and add the sealenet to make sure you ahve no leaks, I had a stubborn leak that would no go away and ended up using some sealent externally which I might remove the plenum and redo using the sealent all around to make sure there are no leaks anywhere else. So far it seems OK, the idle is holding steady and I just where a slight whistle when accel which is probably the intake.

Another suggestion is getting a little loktite as the little bottle may not be enough depending how much you use per bolt.

OK, no to impressions. The sound is great it is hard to describe but it almost sounds like that sound an indy car makes when idling, I like it. The car is pulling really strong and hard, but I did too many things the last couple of days to attribute it to one, I had the timing advanced and it is around 18 now, installed the crank pulley and the plenum, alhtough I think I really felt a difference after the timing and the plenum, we will see if the timing holds or goes back as some say.

I am getting ready to go to the Dyno for club Dyno day so we will see where I ended up and whether I am or after spending the money. The only thing left is the test pipes with resonators which didn't get here and ECU which I am going to work with Japtrix to see what we can do.

Enough words here is the final pic.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:15 AM
FairladyZ

engine looks hot, who painted your eninge cover and how much?
Old 03-06-2004, 04:47 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by FairladyZ
engine looks hot, who painted your eninge cover and how much?
It was a while ago done by a friend of WADD.... not sure if he still does them, but there are some painted by a member over in www.350zfrenzy.com his id is Zpresence and does great work, not sure of his price.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:57 AM
SungNamZ

Finished my "install" last night. Patience is the key and investing in a torque wrench that measures "inch pounds". The investment should go away with Kinetix upgrade. Like "westpak" suggested, before starting go to Pep Boys, Checker, NAPA or Autozone and get a larger tube of "Thread Lock". That tube will not get you to the end of your install if you use it heavy. Frustration will really set in if you run out while installing the Plenum.

Take the install "slow" and follow the instructions and tips from Chris, all_bark and Isdunique. Easy on the tightening. Start it up a few times checking for "leaks". Then, rather than going for an immediate test drive...have a couple cool ones...admire your work and Plenum...thus giving the thread lock and seal an opportunity to set.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:55 AM
ajk4

Originally posted by SungNamZ
Finished my "install" last night. Patience is the key and investing in a torque wrench that measures "inch pounds". The investment should go away with Kinetix upgrade.
yea like a dumb@ss i thought that the instructions had a typo, and he meant ft/lbs instead of in/lbs. needless to say i got it on without any leaks, but after cracking at one of the nuts, i put the tq wrench down and did it by hand. also, gettting the throttle body off was a pain in the @ss, and i had to use long-arm hex wrenches instead of just the regular length ones, and that only worked in conjunction with a set of pliers to grip the hex' handle.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:17 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Well I came out with 255 HP which is an increase of 15 over last dyno, from which I have added a Nismo Flywheel, UR Crank Pulley and Kinetix Plenum.

We had 10 350Z's and 1 G35C with some interesting comparison results I will post later.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:37 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

255whp is not bad! the only thing you can add is the high-flow cat, maybe that will bump it to 260whp...
Old 03-06-2004, 05:46 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by Apexi350z
255whp is not bad! the only thing you can add is the high-flow cat, maybe that will bump it to 260whp...
I was pretty happy with it, I was looking for 255-260, obviously hoping for 260. I have the test pipes with resonators on order so we will see.

Another difference from the last dyno was that I took the Injen CAI and removed it from the grill and installed it like the JWT pop charger which might have robbed me from a few ponies, specially since my best run was the first one while everyone else's increased on their second one, probably started sucking hot air.

One of the guys there did a pre and post CAI run and gaine 5HP with the Injen.

Anolther thing I wish they could have taken was the torque but for some reason they couldn;t because this car feels like it is pulling really hard.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:37 PM
westpak
SFZCC

One thing I forgot, while you do the plenum install and have the throttle body out you might want to clean it, mine was a little dirty and figured it wouldn't hurt to remove 15K miles of residue.

Here are two pics, first is before cleaning and second is after:

Old 03-20-2004, 05:12 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Well, I just got the replacement plenum because I just couldn't get the leak to stop and the lugs were cracked, I also didn't want to use the RTV as I may go FI later this year and just didn't want to have that on. Kinetix customer service was awesome.

The install with the new one went well no problems or leaks, I also took advantage and reinstalled the rubber tube part of the Injen CAI while I was at it since the back to back runs with the Injen showed 5 HP plus my runs deteriorated probably due to hot air being sucked in.

Now I can't wait for the test pipes to get here and back to dyno after then I am done until I decide on FI or should say save up for FI.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:22 PM
scubasteve

I can't wait to get my Kinetix plenum AND my car back next week!!!! I'll also be getting nitrous hopefully this week.....wonder if I'll be the first with the Kinetix/nitrous combo. They said no probs, so I'll see how everything works. I'll be using the kit from fluidz which is a dry kit.