Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Kinetix plenum sealant..can we make this a sticky?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Duflacci

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinetix plenum sealant..can we make this a sticky?

I have been PM'd numerous times asking what I used to seal the plenum.....First.... I don't mind the PM's at all....but I thought I would post here with the info so you won't have to wait for me to respond....I used Permatex red high temp sealant..... below you see permatex ultra copper which I think is a bit better......just apply a thin film and use patience and finesse when torquing down the bolts.....Ed

Last edited by Duflacci; 03-08-2004 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:02 PM
lsdunique

ooooohhhh, nice

I should look into small packets of this stuff to include with the hardware, I think it would be money well spent.

We did some testing on the new inserts today, so any type of plastic compression or cracking will NOT be an issue anymore. You can crank them down now with no worries. The sealant is a great idea though.

If anyone has a link or can point us into the right direction as far as getting small packets or tubes of this stuff I am all ears.

Thanks for sharing the info. While I dont think it is necessar with the new revisions, better safe than sorry.

Revised plenums will start shipping tomorrow, thanks for the patience guys.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:16 PM
wren57
Banned

Here is what I used... it worked great. I highly recommend picking some of this up for the plenum install, its only a few bucks and worth the peace of mind...
Old 03-08-2004, 11:30 PM
isalvus

is this product available everywhere or some special kind of stuff?
Old 03-08-2004, 11:42 PM
isalvus

Originally posted by lsdunique
ooooohhhh, nice

I should look into small packets of this stuff to include with the hardware, I think it would be money well spent.

We did some testing on the new inserts today, so any type of plastic compression or cracking will NOT be an issue anymore. You can crank them down now with no worries. The sealant is a great idea though.

If anyone has a link or can point us into the right direction as far as getting small packets or tubes of this stuff I am all ears.

Thanks for sharing the info. While I dont think it is necessar with the new revisions, better safe than sorry.

Revised plenums will start shipping tomorrow, thanks for the patience guys.
what version of your plenum are you guys up to seems like your trying to perfect them i was considering the crawford but iam thinking about waiting . do you have any plans for more revisions?
Old 03-08-2004, 11:44 PM
lsdunique

no, none that I can think of. We already did testing on our insert revision with great success.

We are confident with everything we have lined up in our production.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:03 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by isalvus
is this product available everywhere or some special kind of stuff?
Any auto parts store should carry these.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:54 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Default Re: Kinetix plenum sealant..can we make this a sticky?

Originally posted by Duflacci
I have been PM'd numerous times asking what I used to seal the plenum.....First.... I don't mind the PM's at all....but I thought I would post here with the info so you won't have to wait for me to respond....I used Permatex red high temp sealant..... below you see permatex ultra copper which I think is a bit better......just apply a thin film and use patience and finesse when torquing down the bolts.....Ed

That's the exact one I used! Thanks for your tip Duflacci!!
Old 03-09-2004, 07:55 AM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will using this void any warranty on the plenum?
Old 03-09-2004, 08:49 AM
manrey

Originally posted by alphared
will using this void any warranty on the plenum?

Nissan would tell you, call them up at the customer support #.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:31 AM
Hey Ya

Thanks again Duflacci (from one of your numerous pmer's)!
Old 03-09-2004, 01:41 PM
vfr350

If need to dope up my plenum to get it to work, cancel my order. That is nothing but a pain........
Old 03-09-2004, 02:04 PM
wren57
Banned

A pain? Squirting a thin bead of a substance around the perimeter of the plenum takes 30 seconds or less, a FRACTION of the work required to swap plenums in the first place...
Old 03-09-2004, 02:20 PM
vfr350

Yes, pain. If i'm buy a product that has a gasket already, and it needs more silicon to seal, that doesn't sound good to me at all. It may seal that way, but having to use it in the first place tells me somethings not right about the way parts fit together.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:06 PM
cinergi1

VFR50,

The kinetix plenum does NOT require sealant in order to obtain a proper seal. Some people have just decided to use it for extra insurance against unlikely leaks. Furthermore, if you were to order now you would end up receiving a version 2 which can be torked down much tighter and virtually eliminate the possibility of cracking the plenum.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:21 PM
vfr350

cinergi 1

according to the above post, lsdunique is looking to trying to find some small packets of silicon and include them. My order was placed last month, and I have not recieved any shipping info, but was charged for it last month, great. lsdunique seems to be confident that the new ver 2 will not crack, but does not sound that way about the plenum sealing....
Old 03-09-2004, 03:30 PM
FLY BY Z

The plenum does NOT leak if you torque it to spec. The reason your plenum is delayed in shipment is because you are getting a revised plenum that can be torqued tighter than necessary without cracking. This will ensure against leaks. You will be fine. Had you closely paid attention to the posts regarding this issue, you would already feel confident in this. My plenum does not even come close to leaking and is sealed very well all the way around. Of course I cracked mine a tiny bit near a bolt hole but I have ordered another plenum so I can have the revised torque happy version and tighten it down to my preference. The only reason you will want sealant is if you get the 1st version and do not want to tighten it too much for fear of cracking it. Once again, my 1st version does not leak, but it is overtightened. Once again, you will be getting the 2nd version so this is not an issue for you.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:53 PM
lsdunique

I am only looking into the possibility of supplying some silicone.

I know it doesn't need it. The problem with obtaining a seal before was that the tolerance between the torque that was required to get a seal, and enough torque to crack the plastic was small, so finesse was needed.

Before, you had to be careful and give a torque at about 36 inch/lbs or an equivalent 3 ft/lbs

We just did some fine tune testing and the new revisions will allow torque ratings as high as 120 inch/lbs of torque or the equivalent of 10 ft/lbs of torque. We could even go higher, but we actually sheared off a bolt before getting another reading, and the plastic still showed zero signs of compression or cracking.

So, we dont think there will be any problem getting a good seal with our new revision, and that is without the silicone.

We are recommending a torque rating of 6-7 ft/lbs of torque or about 80 inch/lbs of torque. Without a torque wrench, I would say use a 1/4" drive ratchet and using one hand, tighten the bolt down with good force. Good force meaning a normal person like myself grabbing the ratchet with the head just sticking out of the left side of my hand, crank it down pretty much as hard as I can.

So, I apologize for worrying anybody and any delay, but we are back on track as of today and everything looks great. Some people have passed on the revision and are still getting great results with no problems.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:15 PM
westpak
SFZCC

LSDunique, what would you say was my problem.

I torqued very carefully to avoid cracking but had to keep going to try to get rid of leak and started to crack the plastic and still had a leak which I ended up applying some sealent to the splitline.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:16 PM
scubasteve

lsdunique, thanks again for great information. I get my Z back next week and will install the plenum then. I think that a small of silicone certainly cannot harm anything, but is in fact jsut cheap insurance against future headaches. Look forward to receiving my plenum and the installation within the next couple of weeks.

Quick Reply: Kinetix plenum sealant..can we make this a sticky?