Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Best exhaust for Hp at the wheel??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 03:05 AM
picass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best exhaust for Hp at the wheel??

Hello,

Where is the best exhaust ( dual or single pipe) for Hp at the wheel ( Dyno real) ???
thanks
Old 03-25-2004, 04:13 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They all are pretty close. Stillen I think was the best, but IMO it sounds like butt and it weighs a ton

Order of my favorite:

Nismo
Stock
Borla
Injen
Stillen

Apex N1 is some where in the list but I don’t know where. But is is not a catback either.

I am sure my exhaust will move to the top of my list once I get it. If everybody and their brother did not have the nismo, I would already have it. I kinda like exclusivity.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:14 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

however I think your list is backwards for hp.

stillen
Injen
Borla
Nismo
Stock

I put injen over borla cause it made 3 extra ft/lbs but .1less hp. so it depends how you look at it.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:18 AM
Road Warrior

Originally posted by VandyZ
They all are pretty close. Stillen I think was the best, but IMO it sounds like butt and it weighs a ton

Order of my favorite:

Nismo
Stock
Borla
Injen
Stillen

Apex N1 is some where in the list but I don’t know where. But is is not a catback either.

I am sure my exhaust will move to the top of my list once I get it. If everybody and their brother did not have the nismo, I would already have it. I kinda like exclusivity.
what about the amuse....exclusive for sure, but expensive....there is a gb on it right now for $1850
Old 03-25-2004, 09:47 AM
FLY BY Z

Which exhaust system has the most HP at the fender, though?
Old 03-25-2004, 09:49 AM
VandyZ

Originally posted by Road Warrior
what about the amuse....exclusive for sure, but expensive....there is a gb on it right now for $1850
Uh huh, you got to love Ti.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:52 AM
VandyZ

They are all so close to each other in power, its sound and price that sells the systems to enthusiasts.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:19 AM
Road Warrior

Originally posted by VandyZ
They are all so close to each other in power, its sound and price that sells the systems to enthusiasts.
everything you are wanting in an exhaust says amuse....what's the deal....just do it!
Old 03-25-2004, 01:58 PM
ZLover4Life

we (Ultimate Z) dynoed a few different exhausts. Borla made the most horsepower out of all of them (12 more horsepower than Stillen). Sport Z Magazine did the same comparison and got similar results.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:03 PM
ares
Veteran

and the other shootout by yeilded very different results.

yeah, Ill agree with vandy here. you want it loud, soft, or inbetween.

also weight isnt up for dispute, so that atleast clearly puts stillen in the back of the back, and everything else atleast ahead of stock in one clear area.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:11 PM
little_rod

Originally posted by ZLover4Life
we (Ultimate Z) dynoed a few different exhausts. Borla made the most horsepower out of all of them (12 more horsepower than Stillen). Sport Z Magazine did the same comparison and got similar results.
What?!?!?! Never heard of this test, you guys got 12!! more HP from the Borlas than the Stillens on a Z?? Was the Z stock?? What other mods were on the car?? Seems a bit high on HP gain, cause I haven't seen an exhaust prove a 12 HP gain from stock, much less between different types of exhausts. Can you give us anymore info on your exhaust test??
Old 03-25-2004, 06:55 PM
jng1226

Originally posted by ares

also weight isnt up for dispute, so that atleast clearly puts stillen in the back of the back, and everything else atleast ahead of stock in one clear area.
You know - I always see people bring up the weight savings of these stainless steel systems. Such as Borla being something like 11 pounds lighter than the stock system.

Oooh - I just saved a whopping 0.3% (11lbs exhaust wieght savings/3250lbs curb weight)!

Seriously - does somebody actually think saving 11 pounds off of your stock exhaust do something for performance?

Not being an a$$ to ares, just something I've noticed when people discuss exhaust advantages/disadvantages.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:20 PM
ares
Veteran

nah, obviously its not huge, and you cant get too much lower to the ground either, so not lowering center of gravity any. but if you want an exhaust, and you want to compare, the power given is so close between them, its basicly in the error margin of any dyno.

so you have sound. and people would pay 1000$ or more for a CF hood that could save 20lbs if you took the hood off altogether. so stillen being about 20lbs more than the rest might matter. 10 here and 10 there can add up eventually.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:14 PM
Zzzow!

Originally posted by Road Warrior
$1825

definitely exclusive exhaust that also looks the best! I think someone said they gained 23 with the amuse test pipes, y, and exhaust system. I think stock exhaust cat-back was like 67 lbs, with a SS y pipe and the amuse, you're looking at 30. Now if I only could lose 37lbs.... looks at clock to go to gym but it's already too late

Holden
Old 03-25-2004, 08:27 PM
ZLover4Life

Originally posted by little_rod
What?!?!?! Never heard of this test, you guys got 12!! more HP from the Borlas than the Stillens on a Z?? Was the Z stock?? What other mods were on the car?? Seems a bit high on HP gain, cause I haven't seen an exhaust prove a 12 HP gain from stock, much less between different types of exhausts. Can you give us anymore info on your exhaust test??
You've never heard of it because we don't sponsor any websites anymore. I wasn't there when they did the dyno, but I believe the car had an Injen intake, headers (don't know for sure if they were Borla or Stillen headers, but I think they were probably Borla), and an underdrive pulley kit (possibly even a Technosquare ECU, but I'd have to check on that). This would explain the "more than usual" gains over stock, but we've been unhappy overall with the Stillen Cat-backs. We've accepted returns on a few of them because the welds started cracking . They just don't seem to be very well manufactured in our opinion. We always recommend the Borla (or Injen, if you like it loud) cat-backs for quality and performance.
For reference, Sport Z Magazine made .1 more horsepower with the Borla over the Stillen (8.2 to 8.1) on a stock 350Z.
Either way you look at it, and what really matters, is that they're all better than stock (except 5Zigen whom, according to Sport Z, made 3.4 hp less and only gained .2 ft-lbs of torque over stock).

And for the people knocking weight savings... every 100 lbs is equivalent to about a tenth of a second in the quarter mile. Drop enough weight and you'll see your ET's drop also. Eleven pounds might not seem like a lot to you guys yet, but when you have the lightweight exhaust and remove all the crap from the car you don't need (spare, tools, anything in the hatch, etc), it adds up. The 350Z is not a light car, and if a person could make it light, it'd be a lot faster.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:29 PM
350Zteve

Originally posted by ZLover4Life
I want what this guys smoking. Let see these dyno sheets. Sports Z posted theirs and the numbers are nothing like what you claim. Don't make BS claims that you can't back up. There's already enough jackass's on this board, we don't need another.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:14 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by jng1226
You know - I always see people bring up the weight savings of these stainless steel systems. Such as Borla being something like 11 pounds lighter than the stock system.

Oooh - I just saved a whopping 0.3% (11lbs exhaust wieght savings/3250lbs curb weight)!

Seriously - does somebody actually think saving 11 pounds off of your stock exhaust do something for performance?

Not being an a$$ to ares, just something I've noticed when people discuss exhaust advantages/disadvantages.
but for ppl who want lighting the car, some 11 pounds here, some 11p pounds there.
it adds up to be a pain in the *** men!
Old 03-26-2004, 03:11 AM
jng1226

Default Less filling/tastes great

OK - the weight thing in regards to the 350Z is starting to get on my nerves. I started a new thread about how much weight can you take out of a street-driven Z:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=67112

11lbs here and there. OK - so 11 lbs less with a Borla, then add 60 pounds in stereo equipment, 5 pounds more rotating unsprung weight (the worst kind) with your bling wheels, 50 pounds with your painted bodykit... give me a break about 11 lbs here and there.

Now if you go FI, then the hp/weight ratio goes out the window, but in general...
Old 03-26-2004, 05:27 AM
ares
Veteran

your theory doesnt apply to everyone. plenty of use have forged rims the droped 20-25lbs off their unsprung weight. and not everyone has a stereo and bodykit.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:10 AM
jng1226

Originally posted by ares
your theory doesnt apply to everyone. plenty of use have forged rims the droped 20-25lbs off their unsprung weight. and not everyone has a stereo and bodykit.
Ares - I agree with you, and I put the comments about reducing unsprung rotating weight (wheels) and reciprocating engine mass (flywheel, pulleys) into the new thread on the topic.

A couple of good responses already, and someone pointed out the fact that the Performance Nissan Grand Am 350Z racecar had a tough time meeting the 2800 lb GSII class weight limit - if at all.

Separately - I never apologized for hijacking this thread! Sorry about that, but the answers have already been given. Most exhausts (cat-backs mostly) are so close in performance gains that it comes down to looks, sound and most importantly budget.

Quick Reply: Best exhaust for Hp at the wheel??