Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Best exhaust for Hp at the wheel??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 01:28 PM
ZLover4Life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

23.5 rwhp is the exact gain of our Borla chart as well. I took the pic a few minutes ago, I'll upload it when I get home from work, and post it as soon as I do.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:07 AM
350 PILOT

Originally posted by ssk0771
How accurate are the info's. I just can't belive that Borla had 23.5HP increase. It just seems to High
Who knows? If I understand what some of the experts said that post here, alot of it has to do with your car itself. Every engine is slightly different - some stonger - some weaker. Therefore a mod on one car could show significant difference than the same mod on another. It is a good link to compare weights and sounds.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:23 PM
ZLover4Life

Old 04-01-2004, 01:42 PM
DanF

What about the corrected HP and torque? Do you have your actual printouts showing raw and corrected?
Old 04-01-2004, 01:52 PM
Sins4u33

well the popular question on my shoulders is....what about the invidia version 2 exhaust, its suppose to be a true dual like the borla but better.....atleast thats what jeff tells me....i love the sound of the invidia and i still haven't seen many dyno charts of it...but the version 2 sounds like a real looker soon on my list...i guess we will have to see in a few weeks....i think jeff is gunna have his 1st set next week i will keap you all updated might be a test subject for jeff who knows i will keap you all updated though....BUT for now what do u all think of the version 1 of the invidia???

Ben
Old 04-01-2004, 10:51 PM
ssk0771

I still can't belive it. 23.5 HP just with Borla Exhaust?

Are you sure its not with Borla Exhaust with Headers?

Wow! I should have gotten Borla Exhaust.

I do have one question.

If Borla Headers give you 11.5 HP & Exhaust give you 23.5HP, thats 35HP but on the run, the one with Borla Exhaust & Headers gave on 1.5 more HP than just an Exhaust. I would not think that you will get full 35HP because they are both using Engines exhaust but I would think that taking out Headers would have decrease HP more. 1.5 HP decease by taking out headers is kinda odd.

I am not doubting the DYNO but it just seems weird.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:07 PM
DanF

You guys need to remember that headers, exhaust, converters, CAI and manifolds DO NOT make power. All they do is to allow the engine to operate more efficiently, therefore producing power closer to it's maximum potential in aspirated form. In other words, if an NA engine has the potential of making 300 HP at 100% VE (Volumetric Efficiency), that is all the power it will ever make, regardless of the bolt-on changes made. The only way the engine can produce more power is to add forced air and more fuel or nitrous oxide and more fuel. The typical street engine runs between 75% to 85% VE. So, if CAI, intake manifold and exhaust bring the VE to 100%, then adding headers will not yield any more power, or any other combination of mods.... Now the likelihood of getting a factory built and installed engine to 100% VE is slim to none.
The bottom line is, if headers bring the VE close to 100% (with some other mods: CAI, etc.) and a cat back exhaust yields the same increase, both together will not double the increase in power. Flow characteristics are only one aspect of exhuast to consider, the design of each component also has a lot to do with the performance. Pressure waves, acoustics, etc play an equally important role in achieving 100% VE.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:38 PM
alex30327

Originally posted by ares
however I think your list is backwards for hp.

stillen
Injen
Borla
Nismo
Stock

I put injen over borla cause it made 3 extra ft/lbs but .1less hp. so it depends how you look at it.
This guy knows what he is talking about, the olny poblem witt the Stillen exhaust is that is adds weight to the car. Don't quote me on this, but I think that is is like 20 lbs heavier than the stock exhaust. There was a 350Z magazine that compared the decible levels and RWhp off like 5 or 6 different exhausts listed in this thread (I have it at my house, but can't remember the name of the magazine?). If I remember correctly, Stillen had the highest RWHP numbers, but not buy much!

My 2 cents, is go with the Injen exhaust. The Nismo is just a glorified version of the stock exhaust, Stilllen is too heavy, Zign or whatever its called lost HP, and the Borla exhaust doesn't do much as far as RWHP just like their headers.

Everyone is buying an aftermarket exhast for different reasons, i.e. sound, power, combination of the two, etc. so there is no real product that is better than the other in my opinion, it just depends on what your prefferences are.

Last edited by alex30327; 04-02-2004 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:50 PM
aznkukuboi

a few lbs here and there doesnt affect much
Old 04-03-2004, 12:02 AM
ZLover4Life

Originally posted by alex30327
There was a 350Z magazine that compared the decible levels and RWhp off like 5 or 6 different exhausts listed in this thread (I have it at my house, but can't remember the name of the magazine?). If I remember correctly, Stillen had the highest RWHP numbers, but not buy much!

...and the Borla exhaust doesn't do much as far as RWHP just like their headers.

Magazine was probably Sport Z, and (assuming it is) Stillen did not make the most power, Borla did.

As for Borla not making as much rwhp.... did you not see the dyno chart with 23.5rwhp gain that I posted a few posts up?
Old 04-03-2004, 12:04 AM
ZLover4Life

Originally posted by ssk0771
I still can't belive it. 23.5 HP just with Borla Exhaust?

Are you sure its not with Borla Exhaust with Headers?

Wow! I should have gotten Borla Exhaust.

I do have one question.

If Borla Headers give you 11.5 HP & Exhaust give you 23.5HP, thats 35HP but on the run, the one with Borla Exhaust & Headers gave on 1.5 more HP than just an Exhaust. I would not think that you will get full 35HP because they are both using Engines exhaust but I would think that taking out Headers would have decrease HP more. 1.5 HP decease by taking out headers is kinda odd.

I am not doubting the DYNO but it just seems weird.
On the chart I posted, there is one run with Borla cat-back plus Borla headers... it's the one right above the cat-back alone. Only 1.5rwhp gain over the cat-back alone, but read DanF's post about engine potential, he's right on with it.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:32 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DanF - I am sure I don't have to tell you that 22 hp gain on YOUR dyno does not ameana 22 hp gain.

When its all said and done, the exhausts all gain right around the same mark, be they "true dual", non dual, etc. Cat back to cat back's gain the same. Cat backs with Y pipes gain the same, within a very small percentage.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:25 AM
DanF

I agree that the gains on the dyno the runs were performed on are only a slight indication of what is happeneing. But 1/4 mile time slips tell the real story. I am hoping to have those numbers soon. Also, it is not our dyno. We had the customer go to Pro Max in Tacoma, WA.
Where I disagree is your statement regarding all the exhaust systems gaining the same. Too broad of an asumption. I know back to back tests have been performaded with the systems that were available early on, unfortunately our system was not available then. I am confident the results would have yielded a different story. Our headers are at the top of the list for performance mods with the V8 guys. There's a reason for that. But being ne to the 350Z scene, it will take a little while for members of this forum and owners elsewhere to warm-up to the fact there is another source. IO went through the same thing years ago when i started posting and advertsiing on the B-body forums. Now the members and owners of those cars know there is only one place to go for quality and performance when it comes to headers. A VERY large statement to make, I know, but give me a chance and I'll back-up my statements.