Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently
View Poll Results: Has your Kinetix plenum cracked?
I have the plenum and it cracked
14.06%
I have the plenum with no problems
28.13%
The cracking is stopping me from getting the plenum
37.50%
I don't have the plenum but for other reasons
20.31%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Kinetix Cracking Poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Jsn350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And no I did not over torque anything. The bolt was still almost able to be spun by hand at the time of cracking. It cracked at the throttle body area.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:58 PM
The Sopranos 16

Originally posted by Jsn350Z
V3 cracked, returned.
Wow thats the response I was hoping not to see so that I could justify getting the plenum!!! They're on there third design and the thing still cracks. I'm begining to wonder if the problem is with the strength of the plastic they use and not with the shape of the plenum.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:00 PM
The Sopranos 16

Originally posted by Jsn350Z
And no I did not over torque anything. The bolt was still almost able to be spun by hand at the time of cracking. It cracked at the throttle body area.
Did it crack when you were putting it on or after you drove the car for a while?
Old 05-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Jsn350Z

It cracked while connecting the throttle body to the plenum. I was tightening down the bolt because I could still sliiightly turn by hand. One little twist and SNAP! I just about passed out. SOO mad!

I was talking to doug at crawford and he said it sounds like the bolt hole might have bottomed out.. Maybe? With my luck I would not be surprised if I just got a defective plenum. That isprobably the case here.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Jsn350Z

My kinetix cats cracked too by the way

Again, no one has been having trouble with them, so I must have gotten a bad set.

My crawford cats are on the way right now. I will also be gettig a crawford plenum sometime. I have other htings to take care of.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:11 PM
TheBigShow

that sux; we hand tightened like i said, and everything was cool with the install. the only thing was the bolt hole in front of the tb, which looks countersunk now. we'll see if the support posts line up better, too.

Last edited by TheBigShow; 05-06-2004 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:14 PM
Jsn350Z

Just want to clarify to make sure everyone understands that the bolt was still somewhat loose at the time of cracking.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:16 PM
TheBigShow

that's just weird.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:09 PM
The Sopranos 16

It must have been defective. I know these things are weak and all but I would like to believe that any part designed to be used on a car wouldn't crack from what your describing (unless of course its defective). What did kinetix say? I'm sure you contacted them if TWO of their products broke on you. My take at this point is that Kinetix products offer great performance at affordable prices but they sacrafice dependability.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:25 PM
Jsn350Z

Yeah like I said, it must have been defective. That is just my luck

I even said before I started that something would go wrong just because thats how things go for me. So I was being extra carefull.

Well in short, I ordered the cats, had them professionally installed as I watched. The fit like crap, streatched the 02 sensor wires, touched the heat shield, and it was a b*tch to get the brace back on. They were also raspy. A couple days later the check engine light comes on, and it was because they both cracked where the bracket attacthes.

AGAIN, no one else has these problems! Fitment is known to not be so great, but no problems.

I took them off and Kinetix sent me a plenum for free.

Then that cracked..

I have returned both and I am waiting for a refund that they have already said is ok.

I have now ordered Crawford HF cats because I have no seen one reported problem with them and with my luck I need to go with the safest route.

All in all it was nice working with kinetix, they have great customer service and are plesent to speak with. Things just didnt work out for me.

Last edited by Jsn350Z; 05-06-2004 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:48 AM
The Sopranos 16

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for sharin the experience. Their customer service has a great reputation, even with people who are ticked off with their products. Too bad they don't just make the products more dependable, then they wouldn't need such stellar support.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:39 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by The Sopranos 16
Too bad they don't just make the products more dependable, then they wouldn't need such stellar support.
I’m just glad that someone is taking the time to try and make new products for our cars.

Yes, in the beginning of any new product there are issues that need to be worked out. That’s how things are made better. Some one has to test it out before changes can be made. You can’t expect something to be perfect the first time it is made. And that’s why you make up for it with stellar customer service.

Laterz
Aceman
Old 05-07-2004, 11:16 AM
The Sopranos 16

Originally posted by aceman
I’m just glad that someone is taking the time to try and make new products for our cars.

Yes, in the beginning of any new product there are issues that need to be worked out. That’s how things are made better. Some one has to test it out before changes can be made. You can’t expect something to be perfect the first time it is made. And that’s why you make up for it with stellar customer service.

Laterz
Aceman
Good Point. However, the poll on this thread (at the time I am writing this) shows that 6 out of the 20 people who responded and bought a plenum had it crack. I realize that it takes time to get a product perfect but having 30 percent of them fail due to something major like a crack is just too much in my opinion. But, I am also glad companies are taking the time to develop products for the Z; I'm just not willing to be a test subject for Kinetix. Apparently I'm not alone on that either as 21 of the 33 people who responded to the poll and don't have the plenum aren't getting one because of the cracking issue. No doubt Kinetix has a promising product, they just gotta make em a little more durable!
Old 05-07-2004, 07:38 PM
CaneZMD

You're right soprano in saying that reliablility is really holding back kinetix sales, but the pole is not set up right.

You have to differentiate between v2 and v3. They only sell v3's right now. It is radically redesigned, from the very plastic, to the molding, to the hardware. They are 2 different products. So far there has been none of the previous bolt hole or front support cracking that occurred with v1 and v2 plenums. JSN350's crack is something that I haven't ever heard of happening to this plenum. Not with any version.

Also, no one likes being a guinea pig. After the way my v2 cracked, I was pretty dissapointed and I even went so far as to tell kinetix that I was sending it back. (they gave me NO hassles about getting a refund) I then ordered a crawford, but when they told me about the changes in the v3, I decided to give it one last chance. So believe me when I say that they are two different animals.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:17 PM
CaneZMD

You're right soprano in saying that reliablility is really holding back kinetix sales, but the pole is not set up right.

You have to differentiate between v2 and v3. They only sell v3's right now. It is radically redesigned, from the very plastic, to the molding, to the hardware. They are 2 different products. So far there has been none of the previous bolt hole or front support cracking that occurred with v1 and v2 plenums. JSN350's crack is something that I haven't ever heard of happening to this plenum. Not with any version.

Also, no one likes being a guinea pig. After the way my v2 cracked, I was pretty dissapointed and I even went so far as to tell kinetix that I was sending it back. (they gave me NO hassles about getting a refund) I then ordered a crawford, but when they told me about the changes in the v3, I decided to give it one last chance. So believe me when I say that they are two different animals.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:29 AM
JST4FN

The V2 cracked on me too, but I could see what the problem was and it just so happens when I contacted Kinitex they had fixed it they way I described. By removing the counter sunk screws and using a washer and bolt on the middle supports they added a ton of strength and holding power. They also added extra material on top and bottom. The V3 is alot better and the poll should be for it as that is the only version available. Over time all V2's and V1's will probably crack. If he did nothing to help or resolve it then that would be bad service. Instead he has updated every area that has had a problem and he replaces them at no charge. There aren't many companies out there that will do that. They normally want to fix the product and you also usually pay shipping.

As far as the Crawford debate, it looks like a good product too, but it has been updated 5 times also. it has advantages by being metal, but you lose so much in factory looks and money, but thats for you to decide. I wanted stock looks and the Kinitex in my opinion gives the best overall fit and performance for the money. Time will tell how the plastic holds up under normal driving and one day under forced inducion. Good luck on your choice.
Thanks Mike
Old 05-08-2004, 07:39 AM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by JST4FN
As far as the Crawford debate, it looks like a good product too, but it has been updated 5 times also. it has advantages by being metal, but you lose so much in factory looks and money, but thats for you to decide.
Mike,

Just some friendly FYI...

Five revisions only for aesthetic reasons, NEVER due to functionality.

Even v3 was a single one off prototype to try something different. It resides on Adam's (VandyZ) Z...
Old 05-08-2004, 08:29 PM
350ed
Professional

Anyone get their V2 replaced without it cracking yet?
I'd like to 'upgrade' even though it has not cracked.
Maybe should wait for V4...
Old 05-09-2004, 06:34 AM
NISMO_GUY2003

I just installed v.3 of the plenum yesterday. Since Kinetix didn't make me send back the cracked v.2 plenum, I had a chance to compare them side-by-side. The v.3 plenum definitely looks alot sturdier and is definitely reinforced at the areas where cracking problems occured. It even felt like it weighed more than v.2.

No problems installing since I held back my natural tendency to overtighten bolts, screws, etc. When it felt nice and tight, I just tightened an additional 1/2 turn or so.

I took for 2 test rides (both rather long) and I inspected plenum after each ride by turning the engine off and letting cool down, then restarting and inspecting plenum at idle (which is how I found cracks in v.2). No cracks so far!! I will be taking a long cruise today and will inspect again.

As for Kinetix, they've been awesome! They got the v. 3 replacement to me within a week, knowing how inconvenient it is to have a car down for any amount of time. How many manufacturers give that type of service to warranty claims? I know that in doing so, it might have delayed some others from receiving their plenum orders, but they should be comforted in knowing that they'll get that type of service if they ever have a warranty claim. Thank you Kinetix!!
Old 05-09-2004, 08:49 AM
jckolnturn

i put about 1,000 miles on my Kinetix V3 plenum and cats, so far so good.