Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Which is the best exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 06:10 PM
zoham55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is the best exhaust system?

I was wondering if anyone had sound clips of the:
-Tanabe Super Medallion Exhaust
-Apexi N1 Exhaust
-Injen SES Straight Tips Exhaust

or your personal opinion on which on is better.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2004, 10:31 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Injen SES Exhaust, do a search for sound clips, there should be plenty. And I think Injen has a video clip of them on their site...
Old 05-15-2004, 11:39 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow.. those are exhaust that represent the best of the 3 of the 4 exhaust classes for the Z...

the 4 classes are...

1. Single Mid-Pipe to Dual Exit Muffler
2. Single Mid-Pipe to Single Exit Muffler
3. Dual Exhaust w/ Dual Muffler (canister)
4. Single Mid-Pipe w/ Dual Muffler (canister)

The main difference is visual style between those if you ask me... and Volume for the Tanabe but you can use the silencers...

They will all give about the same power gain (at most 3RWHP + - difference...) when used with a Y-Pipe like the Fujitsubo for the Tanabe and the Apexi...

(oh did I mention I have all of these in stock)

Old 05-15-2004, 11:54 PM
zoham55

So which is your favorite and why?
Old 05-16-2004, 12:07 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

that is such a dificult question.. because when someone asks me my favorite of the exhuast's I ask what styel.. you havethem all coverd...

for the single mid-pipe / muffler with 2 exits I would pick the Fujitsubo / Nismo... i would take the NISMO over the Fujitsubo even though theya re the same except for the tips.. but the NISMO Comes witha Y-Pipe (extra with fujitsubo) and costs alot less...

as far as the true dual exhausts for what is out now i would take the injen straight tip.. it is a sweet deep full lushious sound and top quality construction... i also like how the piping is a smaller diamater then the stillen and borla true duals... because i think the larger piping is too much for this motor in a true deal set up...

then for the single mid pipe dual muffler (canister) i would definatly pick the Tanabe over the RSR and INJEN... the piping is larger when the exhaust is single... The TANABE has a beautiful large long flowing splitter that splits from the single mid pipe into the 2 canisters... and the piping has nice smooth mandrel bends that keep the exhaust gasses at their fastest velocity exiting the exhaust...

out of them all... I would pick the Tanabe SM-R with a Fujitsubo Y-Pipe... Next would be the NISMO or Fujitsubo... and last Injen...

dont get me wrong i love the injen...but... like the single mid pipe better for this motor...
Old 05-16-2004, 03:43 PM
zoham55

Would u mind explaining to me the difference between all the different types of exhaust systems? Thanks
Old 05-16-2004, 06:35 PM
kzshin

Jason, You didn't talk about your experience about Apex'i N1. Sing pipe, single exit exhaust. Any comment??
Old 05-17-2004, 04:29 PM
zoham55

Would u mind explaining to me the difference between all the different types of exhaust systems, please? Thanks
Old 05-18-2004, 05:07 AM
Traffic

I think all around, GReddy Evo 2. Full system, sounds nice but not loud, typical GReddy quality, looks good and the price is very competitive. Otherwise, Jason summed it up really nicely--
Old 05-18-2004, 05:57 AM
zoham55

Please Jason or anyone would u mine explaining to me the difference between the 4 types of exhaust systems?
Old 05-18-2004, 09:39 AM
shortcut3d

I agree with Jason about the single mid pipe on this engine. I went with Nismo because of cost, across the board gains, sound, warranty, and finish. Of course FI would change everything.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:01 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I currently have an Injen but I am thinking about going to the Nismo. I thought the Nismo was just an axle back? I didnt know it came with a y-pipe....how big is the y-pipe stock and how big is the Nismo? And last Jeff, what do you sell the Nismo for?
Old 05-18-2004, 10:11 AM
wick3d350Z

nismo is also a 3 inch pipe
Old 05-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Road Warrior

so who has the best Y pipe if the exhaust you choose does not come with one? thanks
Old 05-18-2004, 01:12 PM
rollin350z

NISMO EXHAUST ROCKS!!

The sound is perfect, and throttle response is great. I got the nismo exhaust, and the Crawford cats. Love the combo!!
Old 05-18-2004, 01:52 PM
zoham55

does any one have pics or sound clips of the Tanabe SMR exhaust?
Old 05-20-2004, 10:36 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

NISMO for $950 shipped for board members... (shipping is 100$!!!! thanks UPS! grrrrrrr) This exhaust includes Y-Pipe / Mid Pipe / Muffler

The INJEN exhaust has been growing on me since I have been around it soo much the past few days.. The smaller diamater piping in the true dual configuration is the best next to a single mid pipe exaust... the smaller piping keeps more back pressure in the system... which helps a lesser modded NA car.. but putting a turbo on this exhaust would not be to great IMHO... too small of piping for a turbo...

differences in exhausts...

1. Single Mid-Pipe to Dual Exit Muffler;

This exhaust has a Y pipe that brings exhaust from the 2 cats into 1 pipe. The pipe looks just like its name a Y... This then makes the exhaust SINGLE... in the SINGLE mid pipe to Dual Exit Muffler it takes that one pipe into the muffler and splits into two and then goes out the back in 2 different tips from the muffler...

2. Single Mid-Pipe to Single Exit Muffler;

This exhaust has a Y pipe that brings exhaust from the 2 cats into 1 pipe. The pipe looks just like its name a Y... This then makes the exhaust SINGLE... in the SINGLE mid pipe to a single exit muffler... Out of the muffler comes 1 tip visible from the back of the car...

3. Dual Exhaust w/ Dual Muffler (canister);

This exhaust does not have a Y pipe but 2 pipes that go to the rear of the car and opperate independant of eachother... So you have 1 pipe for the LEFT header and cat to the back... and 1 pipe for the RIGHT header and cat to the back...

Some true dual exhausts have a H pipe or X pipe... just like the Y pipe the H & X look just like their name... they are there to create more back pressure which NA motors like in most cases... the H & X Pipes help equalize the pressure between the two pipes... H is found on the Borla and HKS which will be coming out soon.., X is found on the stillen...

4. Single Mid-Pipe w/ Dual Muffler (canister)

This exhaust has a Y pipe that brings exhaust from the 2 cats into 1 pipe. The pipe looks just like its name a Y... This then makes the exhaust SINGLE... in the SINGLE mid pipe to a Y pipe going the oposite direction splitting the single pipe into 2 jsut as the Y pipe in off the cats turned 2 to 1... The 2 pipes then go into their own independant muffler canister... Like the Tanabe SM-R...

The NISMO Exhaust is the only one to my knowledge to come with a Y-Pipe standard...

APEXI World Sport, Tanabe SM-R, Fujitsubo Legalis R, HKS Legamax G35C.... these exhausts are single mid pipe and back... they do NOT include a Y-Pipe and in order to get the max performance gain out of them an aftermarket y-pipe would have to be added...

any other questions
Old 05-20-2004, 10:38 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

tanabe super medalian racing...

Old 05-20-2004, 10:43 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

1. Single Mid-Pipe = Single Muffler Dual Exit

2. Single Mid-Pipe = Single Exit Muffler

3. Dual Exhaust = Dual Muffler (X-Pipe)

4. Single Mid-Pipe = Dual Canister

Example of a Y-Pipe...

Old 05-20-2004, 10:46 PM
ares
Veteran

love my injen. but as jason said, Id bet 20bucks performance wise no one on this entire forum or in the world could tel the difference on a performance basis

now soun and appearance is where you should make your choice. might sound bad to choose disregaurding performance, but its all the same for power.

Quick Reply: Which is the best exhaust system?