Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

cracked kinetix V3

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 12:11 PM
Vash350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry cracked kinetix V3

dang, ive had this thing on for 2 weeks and i love it to death, its an awesome part, but i was drying under my hood today after w good wash and wax and i saw that it is starting to crack, its not totally cracked through and through, but it is starting to split, the crack runs paralell with the car from the bottom of the first bolt down into the dip where the strut bar sits, i emailed kinetix, time to get a V4, im not really upset as it still works great, i just hope it lasts until i get a V4
Old 06-25-2004, 02:38 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Welcome to the club

Yeah, I'm in the same boat with my V2. It is cracked in 4 places all eminating from the front screw in the top down to the dip under the strut bar. It still works "ok", but my idle is for crap now and has progressively gotten worse over the past couple weeks. I should be getting my replacement V4 next week. I too hope mine lasts long enough.

-Chris
Old 06-26-2004, 04:32 AM
bobd

Look at it with the engine at idle, that's when the cracks will open will open up the most.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:49 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldnt try getting by on it. your running a lean condition with that leak. not good for your engine at all.

atleast the bright side is that you got to keep you stock plenum, put it back on in the mean time.

or at very least, smear some silicone over the crack, not pretty, but better then hurting your engine.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:28 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by ares
I wouldnt try getting by on it. your running a lean condition with that leak. not good for your engine at all.

atleast the bright side is that you got to keep you stock plenum, put it back on in the mean time.

or at very least, smear some silicone over the crack, not pretty, but better then hurting your engine.
Well, based on my dyno results from a few weeks ago I know that I'm running lean, however I figured it was due to the cats. Hmmm... maybe not?

=Chris
Old 06-26-2004, 11:42 AM
wren57
Banned

Wow, if you are running lean then chances are I'm running very lean myself. I have the same mods as you + the JIC y-pipe. How bad was your lean condition? I may just have to bite the bullet and get a s-afc if it is too bad...
Old 06-26-2004, 07:28 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default My A/F ratios

Originally posted by wren57
Wow, if you are running lean then chances are I'm running very lean myself. I have the same mods as you + the JIC y-pipe. How bad was your lean condition? I may just have to bite the bullet and get a s-afc if it is too bad...
Well, according to the A/F on the dyno I started out around 14.2 at 3000 rpms. Then went up to around 14.3 at 4000. Around 4200 rpms it started to go down and by 4500 it was at 13.8. It leveled out to around 5300 then it started to go down again. By 5500 it was at 13.5 and by 6000 it was at 13.1 and stayed at that ratio up to redline.

My stock ratio has pretty much the same basic curve, but the numbers are about .7 lower across the board. I would recommend getting a GReddy eManage unit to adjust your fuel maps. That's what I'm going to do and also get a Dynojet Wideband Commander and gauge to see what I'm doing in realtime.

I just came in from slathering the top of my KINETIX plenum with some silicone. I pretty much covered both the top screws and around them about 5 or 6 inches. Pretty much about 60% o the top is covered in silicone now. Hopefully that will do the trick until next week when I hopefully get the V4.

-Chris
Old 06-27-2004, 10:00 PM
all_bark

if you guys are running lean (like I was after all the mods) its time to go over to Tadashi at TS and get that ecu flash.

he will fix the lean condition, for sure!
Old 06-28-2004, 05:14 AM
redls1

I had a v2 that cracked on top and I put silicone on the top. It kept getting worse so I ended up pulling it off and am awaiting the next one.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:17 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, the silicone isnt a long term fix(not pretty either), but should hopefully buy him a week or 2 rather than run lean.

if the cracks does become more than silicone can handle, you'll have to do something about it.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:11 AM
Vash350Z

i think its leaking now, i feel like ive lost some power, time for the silicone
Old 06-28-2004, 09:34 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default eManage vs. TS Flash

Originally posted by all_bark
if you guys are running lean (like I was after all the mods) its time to go over to Tadashi at TS and get that ecu flash.

he will fix the lean condition, for sure!
Joe,

Yeah, that will do the trick, but the good thing about getting an eManage setup (aside from the price savings) is that you can adjust your own A/F ratios so that any future mods you do don't require a TS re-flash. Just hook up your laptop and make the changes yourself. This is of course assuming you have a laptop. If you, they also have the Profec unit that allows you to change the eManage without a laptop, but that is another $350+ so if you already have a laptop, the eManage route might be cheaper. If not, then the TS Flash is cheaper.

Vash350Z,

You do most likely have some cracks in the plenum. I noticed a definite power loss with mine a while back (March or so) but didn't really think that my plenum was cracked because visibly it's fine. You have to almost go over it with a magnifying glass and flashlight to see the cracks, but they are there. Time to buy some silicone.

-Chris
Old 06-28-2004, 11:04 AM
Vash350Z

just looked at it while the car was running at the gas station, 3 cracks around the front bolt, and 1 below the back bolt!
Old 06-28-2004, 03:17 PM
wren57
Banned

Another place it is cracking is at the very front. I removed my strut brace and engine cover to discover a crack on the front also. So if you think you don't have any cracks because there aren't any around the two top center bolts, you may still have one up front. Quite frankly I'm tired of doing the install of plenums. This will be the 4th time I believe I've had to change plenums at about 1 hour labor each time. I am just glad I've done the work myself, otherwise this plenum would be far beyond the cost of the crawford+bar by now...
Old 06-28-2004, 03:26 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by wren57
Another place it is cracking is at the very front. I removed my strut brace and engine cover to discover a crack on the front also. So if you think you don't have any cracks because there aren't any around the two top center bolts, you may still have one up front. Quite frankly I'm tired of doing the install of plenums. This will be the 4th time I believe I've had to change plenums at about 1 hour labor each time. I am just glad I've done the work myself, otherwise this plenum would be far beyond the cost of the crawford+bar by now...
I checked my whole plenum with a flashlight and the only places that mine was cracked was on the top (luckily).

I agree that I am getting tired of having to re-install the plenums over and over again, but hopefully the V4 will be THE plenum that will last. I am a bit concerned though since when I installed my current V2, I used some Permatex Ultra-copper gasket maker to gaurentee a good seal. I put it on top of the stock gasket so hopefully I'll be able to peel it off the OEM gasket or else I'm SOL. I was under the asumption that I wouldn't need to take it off anymore (silly me).

-Chris
Old 06-28-2004, 03:48 PM
redls1

Anybody know when the new v4 will be shipping out?
Old 06-28-2004, 03:53 PM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by redls1
Anybody know when the new v4 will be shipping out?
I just spoke with Robert @ Kinetix about this. He will begin shipping plenums to fulfil the GB today. They are supposed to ship 10 today, 10 tomorrow and the remaining of the GB Wed or Thursday. So my guess would be the end of the week before any others go out.

Zach
Old 06-28-2004, 04:44 PM
WP Gaston

I was trying to get in on this latest plenum GB thing, but due to missed & not returned emails & so forth, the boat sorta left without me. I think I'm glad. I don't have the time to be dealing with buying & adding parts to my car that are going to crack. I think some dust needs to settle or something.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:44 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by zachcrosen
I just spoke with Robert @ Kinetix about this. He will begin shipping plenums to fulfil the GB today. They are supposed to ship 10 today, 10 tomorrow and the remaining of the GB Wed or Thursday. So my guess would be the end of the week before any others go out.

Zach
Well, that's crappy! When I talked to him a couple weeks ago he told me they would be shipping it out in about 10 days or so. I was hoping to get it tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. Sounds like next week now.

-Chris
Old 06-29-2004, 11:49 AM
Vash350Z

i cant even get in touch with them, when i call them i get a message saying that the number is not in service,

Quick Reply: cracked kinetix V3