Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

will test pipes change in sound in time?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 05:56 PM
Splurt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will test pipes change in sound in time?

Hey guys. I got a problem. I finally got around to installing my dc sport headers, kinetix straight pipes, and the hotchkis sways. I thought the sound with test pipes was going to be raspy and I was prepared to deal with it... but instead I'm shocked with the sound of a fart can civic. I can't stand it. I don't know what to do. Will the sound change in time, because the headers are still new so they haven't been broken in or anything. I loved the sound of my injen before, and I was just expecting a louder injen. Now I'm greeted with a lil more hp gain, but no desire to feel the hp gain because it just sounds like $hit. Can anybody give me some advice? I'm kinda low on funds, but I will change to Hi Flow cats if need be. Thanks for your time.

Kinda unrelated but my friends tell me it sounds more like a motorcycle to them. I dunno is this the sound i should be expecting with straight pipes, and i was naive to think otherwise?

-Splurt

Last edited by Splurt; 06-25-2004 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:47 PM
syf0n

It will change but not a lot. If you did not order the resonated cats then your car is destined to sound like a fart machine until you swap those babies off. Good luck!
Old 06-26-2004, 02:17 AM
chaparro78

You have four choices:
1. live with it
2. replace them with resonated race pipes or high flow cats
( they will run close to $400 or more )
3. go back to stock cats
4. Do what I did, go to a muffler shop and get resonators installed after your O2 sensors where the race pipes meet the exhaust.

Option 4 is a custom job but less expensive than option 2

Here is a pic of the custom job i had done on my car. Initially I had the same problem, sounded like a fart cannon. But it was nothing some resonators could not fix. And I did not lose any hp due to tighter air flow. I have a thread on the the step by step that was done to fix the rasp problem.
Attached Thumbnails will test pipes change in sound in time?-dualresonators.jpg  
Old 06-26-2004, 06:43 AM
BlackNissan350z

who sells the resonated testpipes, im in the same situation with the nasty fart can sound
Old 06-26-2004, 06:50 AM
Splurt

Thanks for all ur advice. I'll take my car to a muffler shop and see if i can get resonators or something. My friend was saying maybe a H pipe between the test pipes would work? Anybody know anything about that?
Old 06-26-2004, 09:40 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Splurt
Thanks for all ur advice. I'll take my car to a muffler shop and see if i can get resonators or something. My friend was saying maybe a H pipe between the test pipes would work? Anybody know anything about that?
A

You might want to try LaBree Motorsports. They have resonators. In fact, they could probably cut and weld them directly on to your testpipes.

And, no the sound wont change. And, yeah, it sounds horrible. It took me a week with just testpipes to say, this is not going to stay on my Z.

If you do a search with my name and labree, you'll find contact information.

D
Old 06-26-2004, 11:06 AM
hfm

Originally posted by hfm
A

You might want to try LaBree Motorsports. They have resonators. In fact, they could probably cut and weld them directly on to your testpipes.

And, no the sound wont change. And, yeah, it sounds horrible. It took me a week with just testpipes to say, this is not going to stay on my Z.

If you do a search with my name and labree, you'll find contact information.

D
I just realized, the above is misleading.

No the sound wont change as long as you just have testpipes.

Yes the sound will change once you have resonators on, it will sound MUCH better.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:17 AM
esemes

i had the helix test pipes and was shocked with them too.....

i pulled em off after only 5 miles of driving....

i now have a full catback system, with crawford cats, and imply love it... it helps keep the environ. somewhat cleaner, and there's NO associated raspiness with the crawdaddies....

i wiill also be adding the crawford headers to the car , sometime in the near future...

good luck - dont give up on the system (although, admittedly, the oem system is damn good, for an oem system that is....)
Old 06-26-2004, 11:24 AM
chaparro78

Originally posted by Splurt
I have the stillen exhaust and it has an X pipe in it. That does nothing to get rid of the rasp. Kinetix sells resonated test pipes but they are $370. It's cheaper to just weld in some resonators. Any good muffler shop should do it. I dunno how much Labree charges but i went to a custom muffler shop in dallas and the man charged me $95 total for the resonators and labor.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:02 PM
booger

Originally posted by chaparro78
I have the stillen exhaust and it has an X pipe in it. That does nothing to get rid of the rasp. Kinetix sells resonated test pipes but they are $370. It's cheaper to just weld in some resonators. Any good muffler shop should do it. I dunno how much Labree charges but i went to a custom muffler shop in dallas and the man charged me $95 total for the resonators and labor.
When you first posted that you had the resonators welded in .I was jumping up to go have it done .But you would be hard pressed to find a muffler shop around here to do it . The law thing you know .They just wouldnt do it . I have the gutted RT cats and have a extra o2.... 6 inches down line from the stock ones .The only place I could do it , is before the o2 bungs . I think the only way I could get it done around here is to take them off and take just the pipes to the shop .
Old 06-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Bahraini350Z

what is a resonator and what does it look like??
Old 06-26-2004, 02:03 PM
chaparro78

Originally posted by Bahraini350Z
what is a resonator and what does it look like??
This is a resonator
Attached Thumbnails will test pipes change in sound in time?-leftresonator.jpg  
Old 06-26-2004, 02:05 PM
chaparro78

Originally posted by booger
When you first posted that you had the resonators welded in .I was jumping up to go have it done .But you would be hard pressed to find a muffler shop around here to do it . The law thing you know .They just wouldnt do it . I have the gutted RT cats and have a extra o2.... 6 inches down line from the stock ones .The only place I could do it , is before the o2 bungs . I think the only way I could get it done around here is to take them off and take just the pipes to the shop .
You can't go to a place like Mineke or Jiffy Lube. You have to find a place that does custom work.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:23 PM
Bahraini350Z

Originally posted by chaparro78
This is a resonator
sorry man... but which part are reffering to??
Old 06-26-2004, 02:49 PM
supra crazy

This Part
Attached Thumbnails will test pipes change in sound in time?-leftresonator.jpg  
Old 06-26-2004, 10:35 PM
CESAROTORRES

The only setup that does not has the RASPY SOUND it is the INJEN SET UP and (Stillen test pipes).......CESAR. CALL BRIAN A RACING ZONE (Orlando Fl)
Old 06-26-2004, 11:04 PM
supra crazy

Actually the stillen test pipes are resonated.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:09 PM
slay2k

Kinetix resonated test pipes all the way!

Mine sound almost exactly like stock with the Borla exhaust. Maybe a tiny bit louder. Not to mention about 35-40whp with FI :]
Old 06-27-2004, 07:57 PM
Splurt

Doh! I see my problem is not having the resonated kinetix pipes. I just went to their website and I just have the straight through pipes and I think that's what's makin the fart sound at low rpms. In the upper rpms it sounds just like my old exhaust, which I love. Now to look for a good shop. Thanks for all the info guys
Old 06-27-2004, 11:35 PM
Street Visionz, Inc.
Banned

Hey splurt please post what shop you get this done at if you find a shop.......cuz I'm looking to get this done soon too.

Quick Reply: will test pipes change in sound in time?