Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

kinetix h/f cats dyno results...not good.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 08:02 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down kinetix h/f cats dyno results...not good.

dyno with kinetix cats: hp=237, tq=227, a/f=14.1 (LEAN).
dyno with stock cats on same dyno: hp=242, tq=239, a/f=13.1
What are your results with these cats? Was it just MY cats, or are others getting similar results with kinetix cats?
Old 08-31-2004, 08:05 PM
Z BOY

Default Re: kinetix h/f cats dyno results...not good.

Originally posted by Z BOY
dyno with kinetix cats: hp=237, tq=227, a/f=14.1 (LEAN).
dyno with stock cats on same dyno: hp=242, tq=239, a/f=13.1
What are your results with these cats? Was it just MY cats, or are others getting similar results with kinetix cats?
ps: my cats are only two months old; can i get my money back?
Old 08-31-2004, 08:40 PM
AceJ587

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I felt I Big difference with mine.

Im not seeing it in your sig...you may consider an ECU reflash, and re-dyno.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:48 PM
lsdunique

there are MANY variables when getting dyno numbers. Dont be discouraged, as I have seen various results with the cats, but no one has lost power.

Make sure both dyno results were SAE corrected, and similar warmups were done for both sessions.

Its very hard especially when you are talking about 3-6hp numbers to get consistency.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:06 AM
Z BOY

Default 6 pulls on same sae-corrected dyno

Originally posted by lsdunique
there are MANY variables when getting dyno numbers. Dont be discouraged, as I have seen various results with the cats, but no one has lost power.

Make sure both dyno results were SAE corrected, and similar warmups were done for both sessions.

Its very hard especially when you are talking about 3-6hp numbers to get consistency.
I actually did 6 pulls in all--4 with the kinetix cats (the last one of these 4 was with NO air filter at all, which increased hp by 2 to 237hp; the other 3 of the pulls with kinetix cats PLUS filter yielded 234-235hp), and two with stock cats. Numbers were extremely consistent and reproducible. Every pull with kinetix cats was lean: 14.0-14,1, and every pull with stock cats was stochiometic: 13.0-13.1---VERY consistent. I have the graphs and about 10 witnesses.
If none of what you have seen has lost power, then it must be that just MINE are defective.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:20 AM
BrImSt0ne

What's up Matt! I hate to say it but I think you just got a bad set of cats. Cause as you already know I pulled 255hp/247tq with my cats (plus cai & borla). Is kinetix gonna give you your money back? Or swap out the cats for you?
Old 09-01-2004, 09:35 AM
lsdunique

I imagine it is possible that the internals of the converter have possibly collapsed.

It has never happened with our cats before, but I know it was a problem with the RT cats.

Give me an email at jamisonl@msn.com with original order info and I can have a new set sent out. I can send you a new set with a return shipping label for the old ones so you wont have any down time.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:53 PM
jjellyneck

Default Re: 6 pulls on same sae-corrected dyno

The results seem kind of weird. I have Kinetix cats on my G, and nothing else. I definitely noticed a little more power (butt dyno), though I don't know how much leaner that I'm running.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:42 PM
287HP

Since your A/F is around 13.1 with the stock cats(which is quite high already), you could be losing power because the cats are making you run too lean. If you get your A/F to the low 13s with the high flows, you will probably see more power! A Low 13 A/F ratio is where our cars make the best power. So you are already at that A/F with the stock cats, and that might be why you are making more power with the stock ones!
Old 09-01-2004, 05:35 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Lets see the charts...

Also, how soon did you redyno? While I don't have any evidence to back this up, I'm pretty certain the Z likes to pull timing when theres a sudden change in A/F. Takes some miles (maybe 100?) and some on/off cycles for it to settle. I noticed this every time I made a change on either side (intake/exhaust).
Old 09-01-2004, 08:45 PM
Wicked4u2c

Their plenums crack, what else can one expect?
Old 09-02-2004, 02:11 AM
joust75

Originally posted by Wicked4u2c
Their plenums crack, what else can one expect?

Thats Unfair man. I havent heard of a V4 cracking yet.
I think how hard Kinetetix has worked with their customer service and their vigilant presence on the forum should earn thm the courtesy from EVERYONE to abstain from making rude sweeping generalizations such as this.
Does'nt seem like You Wicked.....

What ZX said makes sense. I think you should reset the ECU and try again. Running lean should not make you lose power like this. There has gotta be something wrong with the cats.
I believe Kinetix gets their cats from Carsound just like Random tech so its likely they are bad.
Can increased backpressure lead to a lean mix??
Old 09-02-2004, 06:13 AM
jjellyneck

Originally posted by zxsaint
Lets see the charts...

Also, how soon did you redyno? While I don't have any evidence to back this up, I'm pretty certain the Z likes to pull timing when theres a sudden change in A/F. Takes some miles (maybe 100?) and some on/off cycles for it to settle. I noticed this every time I made a change on either side (intake/exhaust).
I agree with zxsaint. I most definitely noticed this on my G35. In fact, it barely ran if I applied anything more than 1/2 throttle during the first 100-150 miles. After that, the power was back even stronger with the cats installed.
I noticed that you said you've had them for 2 months (your 2nd post). That should be enough time for the ECU to adapt.
Lower octane gas and a lot of other variables can also effect the dyno results.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:15 AM
jjellyneck

What ZX said makes sense. I think you should reset the ECU and try again. Running lean should not make you lose power like this. There has gotta be something wrong with the cats.
I believe Kinetix gets their cats from Carsound just like Random tech so its likely they are bad.
Can increased backpressure lead to a lean mix?? [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, a decreased backpressure usually leads to leaner A/F.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:27 AM
MIAPLAYA

Although I can appreciate some of the opinions on his low numbers I have a hard time believing he would have had to reset his ECU after 2 months with the cats. I was at the dyno day with him and the dyno was consistant all day. With POP charger and y pipe back exhaust i put down 240HP. With a max A/f of 13.4. Something is wrong with those cats. If Brimstone who was there with us put down 255 with same cats, Borla, and Injen, and Steel Heals put down 254 with same cats also its tough for me to believe that its just his ECU that needs to be reset.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:38 AM
jjellyneck

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
Although I can appreciate some of the opinions on his low numbers I have a hard time believing he would have had to reset his ECU after 2 months with the cats. I was at the dyno day with him and the dyno was consistant all day. With POP charger and y pipe back exhaust i put down 240HP. With a max A/f of 13.4. Something is wrong with those cats. If Brimstone who was there with us put down 255 with same cats, Borla, and Injen, and Steel Heals put down 254 with same cats also its tough for me to believe that its just his ECU that needs to be reset.
Good points.
Nobody had an ECU reflash out of that eyno group?
Assuming no ECU reflash, he could have had a somewhat lower octane gas, or even something weird going on with the ECU. If the problem is the cats, that might mean that they are essentially contributing less backpressure than typical cats (meaning that they have no material inside of them!) Kind of funky.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:51 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

I know the RT's flow more than the Kenetics, but tend to collapse more. Regardless, the Kin's flow more than stock, so not sure what to think here.

My guess is the leaness is causing your power loss. Contrary to popular belief, leaner does necessarily mean more power. You will hit peak mean power at about 12.7:1. Now, the F/I guys go richer to avoid detonation and higher EGT's. But you will make less HP at 14:1 vs. 13:1..no question there. I observed this same condition when I setup that group Dyno Day at Strict Dyno a couple months ago. The leaner guys were making consistently less HP than the 13:1 guys.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 09-02-2004 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Vash350Z

Maybe the cats collapsed. Theres a first time for everything.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:09 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by gq_626
I observed this same condition when I setup that group Dyno Day at Strict Dyno a couple months ago. The leaner guys were making consistently less HP than the 13:1 guys.
Yes! I'll definitely agree with that!

hehehehe!!
Old 09-02-2004, 06:40 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by jjellyneck
Good points.
Nobody had an ECU reflash out of that eyno group?
Assuming no ECU reflash, he could have had a somewhat lower octane gas, or even something weird going on with the ECU. If the problem is the cats, that might mean that they are essentially contributing less backpressure than typical cats (meaning that they have no material inside of them!) Kind of funky.
No one at the dyno day had any ECU tuning whatsoever. Although the gas vould be a factor I doubt it. Matt did you put more gas in your car between dynos?

Quick Reply: kinetix h/f cats dyno results...not good.