Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Popcharger problem(?) and questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 10:11 PM
TSpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Popcharger problem(?) and questions

I installed my popcharger 3 weeks ago and so far I'm lovin' it. I felt the gains right away but I I'm now noticing all of the differences before and after the mod.

The RPMS pull faster now, but I feel less TQ in the low RPMs. I know we don't feel popcharger power until over 4K, but between 2-4K I don't have the pep like before the mod. Even at WOT, I don't feel the pull in 1st. The torque feels the same in higher gears, but nothing in 1st. Anyone else notice this? Popcharger is my only mod so far.

Don't get me wrong, I love the sound, best bang for the buck, improved MPG, and quicker RPM pull to 4K. I just miss the power I had across the full RPM range. I thought the ECU would have adjusted by now, but should I try resetting? Any ideas. I've searched and no luck so far.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-28-2004, 11:49 PM
AceJ587

try resetting it....I didnt feel any loss
Old 09-29-2004, 08:04 AM
TSpeed

Originally posted by AceJ587
try resetting it....I didnt feel any loss
Based on your mod list you don't have a popcharger installed. Did you have it for a while? If so, how long did you have it until you swapped to the K&N? I may have to reset the ECU, but I don't want to do so until I get more feedback.

I didn't have a problem with the popcharger initially, but it seems like the ECU adapted and I'm not feeling the same power now. I think I'm over the initial "psychological" feeling of more ponies and am wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

Here's the thing, I've played enough games that mod cars (Drag racer, NFSU, etc). In these games 1st gear is only used to move the car from a stop and the RPMs fly thru 1st. The power really kicks from 2nd gear and on. Since this is my first mod, I'm wondering if this is expected or does my ECU need resetting, or did I miss something. I don't show a SES.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:45 AM
AceJ587

Yes, I had the POOPcharger for about 2 weeks, before I did my custom system. Either way, youre going to need an ECU flash eventually if you mod. Ive heard, and believe, over time the ECU compensates for your mods, and you dont feel as much a gain as you used to..Id imagine a temporary fix would be to keep resetting it periodically, until you get the flash.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:11 PM
TSpeed

Not that I would do it now, but would reflashing take care of needing to periodically reset the ECU?
Old 09-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Strife350z

so an ecu flash is required after every mod?

my understanding was that yes, the ECU corrects your A/F mixture thus reducing your initial *significant* gains, but your'e still left with underlying gains because of the popcharger's faster airflow

i'm a newb when it comes to this so sorry if this comment seems trivial
Old 09-29-2004, 02:52 PM
TSpeed

From the threads I've read, flashing isn't necessary until major mods are installed (FI, headers, HF cats, etc). Like you, I understood the A/F mixture is "corrected" so you don't run lean. I've never heard of a popcharger requiring an ECU flash. Also, I have an 04 so TS can't even flash my ECU anyway.

Anyone have a popcharger with this prob or something similar? If I reset the ECU using the TS technique, does it work for 04 models?
Old 09-29-2004, 08:54 PM
AceJ587

Negative lol...You Both misunderstood what I was trying to say.....

Strife, Yes, You will still feel gains over stock with each mod, but as the ECU compensates, that "Significant" gain diminishes, but there still is a gain.

No, you do not need a flash after each mod, But After you have finished modding altogether. It's different for everyone: The plenum is my Last mod, and the Flash comes next (LAST). Im not sure how "Heavy" youd like to get in terms of modding your Z.

Resetting the ECU is a technique I use (not everyone else) , to get those gains back for a short while, and I usually do it every two weeks or so (Not bad for the car, and when you get the hang of it, the TS reset procedure is really simple) . So bottom line, Get the Flash when you're Finished modding.

TSpeed: Wrong, the TS Flash for OUR (04.5's) ECU's will be out within the month. Actually turned out to be Perfect timing, in my case.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:03 AM
PumpedVA

would a reflash be good for a stock Z?
Old 09-30-2004, 09:16 AM
AceJ587

If you dont plan on doing Any mods, Sure you can get one on a stock Z. TS did it, and it showed gains around 8-10 whp.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:49 AM
TSpeed

Ace, did you have a SES when you reset the ECU? I've read that unless you have a SES, you won't really know if you reset the ECU correctly. You also said it's temporary...how temporary? Since I only have the 1 mod, would I experience the same thing again? You seemed to be well versed in this so just curious.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:55 AM
mrZ

i'm currently re-setting the ecu once a week. i have the pop charger and an evo exhaust and when the dealer re-set my ecu to get rid of the SES light, i felt a significant increase in power. then it deteriates slowly again untill i re-set the ecu. eventually i'll get a re-flesh but i'll wait untill there are other choices then ts. not that there is anything wrong with their re-flesh, i just like to have options.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:37 AM
AceJ587

Originally posted by TSpeed
Ace, did you have a SES when you reset the ECU? I've read that unless you have a SES, you won't really know if you reset the ECU correctly. You also said it's temporary...how temporary? Since I only have the 1 mod, would I experience the same thing again? You seemed to be well versed in this so just curious.
The ECU reset procedure: for more detailed instructions, please refer to TS's website....Note, your timing Must be precise.

1) Turn key to ON, and wait 3 secs.
2) Press the accel pedal to the floor, and release 5 times, in under 5 secs.
3) Wait 7 secs
4) Press accel pedal and hold for 10 secs. (SES should turn ON)
5) Release and wait 10 secs. (SES should start blinking rapidly)
6) Press and hold another 10 secs..("rapid" blinking should reduce it's speed.)
7) Turn key to OFF. Then start the car, the SES should Not be on.

Youll know if you did it correctly if the SES light comes on in the first few secs of Step #4. if it didnt, your timing was off, Start over. lol

As far as how long a reset lasts before the ECU re-adapts to your mods,..I say approx a few hundred miles, or a week.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:37 AM
TSpeed

Originally posted by mrZ
i'm currently re-setting the ecu once a week. i have the pop charger and an evo exhaust and when the dealer re-set my ecu to get rid of the SES light, i felt a significant increase in power. then it deteriates slowly again untill i re-set the ecu. eventually i'll get a re-flesh but i'll wait untill there are other choices then ts. not that there is anything wrong with their re-flesh, i just like to have options.
So performance does degrade as time goes on. Guess I'm not alone in this. Do you think it's something with the popcharger or is it mods in general that we eventually need to get the ECU reflashed?

Since you are resetting once a week, how do you know when you've done it correctly? Obviously the dealer got rid of the original SES, but since you don't have and SES each week, how can you tell? Is it just trial and error? Reset, drive, eval performance. Repeat?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm a newb at modding. I thought I read everything I needed to know about the popcharger and general modding, but it's very different when you start modding for real.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:43 AM
TSpeed

Originally posted by AceJ587
The ECU reset procedure: for more detailed instructions, please refer to TS's website....Note, your timing Must be precise.

1) Turn key to ON, and wait 3 secs.
2) Press the accel pedal to the floor, and release 5 times, in under 5 secs.
3) Wait 7 secs
4) Press accel pedal and hold for 10 secs. (SES should turn ON)
5) Release and wait 10 secs. (SES should start blinking rapidly)
6) Press and hold another 10 secs..("rapid" blinking should reduce it's speed.)
7) Turn key to OFF. Then start the car, the SES should n Not be on.

Youll know if you did it correctly if the SES light comes on in the first few secs of Step #4. if it didnt, your timing was off, Start over. lol

As far as how long a reset lasts before the ECU re-adapts to your mods,..I say approx a few hundred miles, or a week.
I guess I should have waited another mintue before I posted.

I've been to the site and read their stuff. Since you do this often, the reset works for 04 ECUs? I know the 04 ECU flash will be available soon, but with all the trouble it caused TS, I wasn't sure the reset technique would work for our 04.5 models. Thanks for the input!
Old 09-30-2004, 10:53 AM
AceJ587

Oh it works alright lol. The reason our ECU's are a problem is because they are different from the 03's. Nissan designed them so they were next to impossible to "crack" into. And the Data was "compacted", making it more difficult to sort through.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:29 AM
sisco534

So what do you do with the 03 ECU does it adapt to mods over a period of time.. does the ECU need to be reset every so often . Saving up for the reflash + I have to be without a ride so waiting on vacation to play with it. Would it help with the AEM intake seems to have low torque compared to when I first got it.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:34 AM
AceJ587

It doesnt NEED to be reset, but it helps, until you get the flash. BTW: IMO, If I were you, Id sell that AEM P.O.S. and buy an Injen or JWT. AEM Intakes for the Z are complete Garbage.