Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Installed Kinetix High Flow Cats & Stillen Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 07:18 AM
alpine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Kinetix High Flow Cats & Stillen Dual Exhaust

Alright, Saturday 10/2 AM got the kinetix racing High Flow Cats installed along with my Stillen Dual Exhaust. I will be posting up video and pics later (couple days) hopefully I have it.

My video cam looks like its "broken", we'll see.

You can defintely feel the difference, the sound is very nice without being ricey or raspy either.

I went with the Kinetix as they are stock looking, so I'm hoping they will draw less attention in the event I get into a SMOG situation. They will pass smog of course.

The Stillen exhaust also is not in/obtrusive to the casual glance, but with its 2.5" piping all the way from the cats, it's clearly going to breath much better.

So I'm now just waiting for my APS TT kit to arrive at BrainStorm Performance in the next 2 weeks, and hopefully get installed in less than a month.

Next on the list is Nismo LSD, and more homework on suspension.

My last track event at buttonwillow pointed out more of the flaws of our suspension.

If anyone like to see/hear my exhaust combo, and you're in/around the San Fernando valley, let me know.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:47 AM
jjellyneck

Nice stuff. Did you notice any hesitation or bucking when applying throttle? The ECU usually needs to adapt for awhile before you really feel the power from those mods.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:02 AM
alpine

Originally posted by jjellyneck
Nice stuff. Did you notice any hesitation or bucking when applying throttle? The ECU usually needs to adapt for awhile before you really feel the power from those mods.
No I can't say I experienced anything like that.

The only thing I can say I noticed was the first time I went into reverse, was the exact same experience after installing my JWT flywheel and Nismo clutch, instant stall.

I do believe that I will need to have my idle raised now as It is tending to want to stall now through corners when I don't bring up my RPMs before I letup the clutch.

Many other drivers with lightend flywheels have rasied the idle, but until now I didn't need to.

I do know the ECU needs to adjust over time, however I don't have the specifics as to what will actually cause it to adjust or when.

I know it will detect changes in pressure, and exhaust should impact it, however I don't know how long.

What I had planned to do, but forgot was to unplug my battery Sat night before I went out on track Sun.

I can feel a difference, however I'm sure it's not all it could be.

I will be pulling the battery tonight and see how it goes over the next few days.

We'll see.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:10 PM
lsdunique

glad to hear you are happy.

Our hi-flow cats add just a nice touch of exhaust note that I think sounds great.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:38 PM
axxizzer

nice, also, why are you getting the nismo Differential?
Old 10-07-2004, 04:06 AM
alpine

Originally posted by lsdunique
glad to hear you are happy.

Our hi-flow cats add just a nice touch of exhaust note that I think sounds great.
Thanks for stopping by, yea I their great and a friend of mine is up next so you'll be hearing from me soon.

So far overall the sound is great between the cats and exhaust.

There is a noise however that I am needing to figure out better in order to explain it, and perhaps since this is my first exhaust on a import personally, it may be "normal" or "expected".

I'll mention it later after I can explain it better.

thanks again, good product and service!
Old 10-07-2004, 04:09 AM
alpine

Originally posted by axxizzer
nice, also, why are you getting the nismo Differential?
you're asking me why I am getting the nismo differential?

I want to be able to deliver more solid power to the wheels and have greater control when that power hits the pavement.

Any reason I shouldn't use the Nismo Diff?

Thanks
Old 10-07-2004, 06:00 AM
NismoGCoupe

can you post sound clips i was thinking of going with this setup but but not looking for anything to raspy.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:15 AM
jjellyneck

Originally posted by NismoGCoupe
can you post sound clips i was thinking of going with this setup but but not looking for anything to raspy.
I've heard a car with the Kinetix high flow cats coupled with the stock exhaust and with the Borla exhaust. Not even a hint of rasp with either. I've not heard the Stillen.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:21 AM
Gary King

I put Kinetix high flow cats on this past weekend. Even with the Injen SES no rasp but more aggressive, it sounds real nice. More power in the mid range too. Great mod.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:30 AM
alpine

Originally posted by NismoGCoupe
yea I was going do to the whole before/after thing. My camcorder took a dump after my last track outting, I assume it didn't like it.

I will try my digital camera video clip and see how that does.

I'll take care of that tonight.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:21 PM
Srivero297

I've already got the dual Stillen's on my Z. The Kinetix high flow cats sounds like a nice little addition. Im considering doing this on my car now. How much did you pay for the cats?
Old 10-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Gary King

Originally posted by Srivero297
I've already got the dual Stillen's on my Z. The Kinetix high flow cats sounds like a nice little addition. Im considering doing this on my car now. How much did you pay for the cats?
I carry Kinetix. I will pm you a price.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:55 PM
SponGer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking of buying the Kinetix cats for myself as a birthday present. Other G owners have complained about bad fitment
causing it rub against a heat shield. Anyone here encounter this problem or has this been corrected? BTW, will it bolt directly onto a Borla TD exhaust?
Old 10-08-2004, 05:14 AM
alpine

Originally posted by SponG
I'm thinking of buying the Kinetix cats for myself as a birthday present. Other G owners have complained about bad fitment
causing it rub against a heat shield. Anyone here encounter this problem or has this been corrected? BTW, will it bolt directly onto a Borla TD exhaust?
I didn't see any fitment problems on my Z, however there are obivous differences on the Gs so I can't offer any input there.

As far as bolt on, since the Borla is expecting factory cats, it should bolt on just fine but since you are mentioning fitment problems on the G you'll need to check in with kinetix first and then Borla.

Kinetix is on the board, they posted in this thread a few posts back, contact them.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:38 AM
jjellyneck

Originally posted by SponG
I have a G35 coupe and installed the first version of Kinetix cats and Borla at the same time. Excellent fit except that the cats rubbed against the heat shields. Kinetix paid for all shipping and sent me a new set. The new cats fit perfectly (all of this happened in March-April this year). So the cats fit with the stock exhaust and any cat-back exhaust designed to fit on the stock cats.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:06 AM
SponGer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback fellas. It sounds like Kinetix has fixed the problem.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:38 AM
alpine

Default Pre APS TT kit Install Dyno

Ok, pre the stillen exhaust and kinetix cats I dyno'd 241RWHP.

This was on a dyno jet.

I now dyno'd at 261 on a Dynamic Test Systems (DTS).

So Between the 2 I gained 20HP.

Of course there are going to be variances between dyno equipment, however the DTS is much more accurate due to it's
ability to calibrated for the drive train so I completely trust the DTS and Brainstorm stated the DTS more than likely under reports power.

Hope that helps.

I know... I know.. .I should have dyno'd before the install with the DTS and then after... I know... sorry.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:41 AM
only1

Cost on the kinetix cats?
Old 11-22-2004, 11:48 AM
alpine

Originally posted by only1
Cost on the kinetix cats?
$400 for the pair