Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

ugly sound on cold start last night

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 07:56 AM
dchi_t

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ugly sound on cold start last night

hey guys, this scary @ss xhit happened to my car last night during a cold start. currently i have only kinetix plenum v4 and gutted cats. nothin major. but when i started her up last night, she made this horrible noise, sort of a horrible knock w/ a splash of grind. you know that flywheel clatter everyone gets. it was kinda like that but x50. so i immediately shut off the car and cranked it up again and it didnt happen again. and plus i noticed a possible air leak from somewhere in the plenum near the TB area. so im gonna take that apart this weekend to take a look see. but question is, what couldve made that initial start up sound? could it have just been my tranny having a bad day w/ no oil on the gears? cuz i didnt drive it the whole saturday. but there was no problem doing a cold start this morning. any ideas? thanks folks!
Old 03-29-2005, 03:04 AM
atadlo

you know i've actually had the same experience...i believe. even when i was stock- one startup out of the blue it sounded like the engine was turning with marbles or something, a God-awful noise. lasted less than a second, no signs of damage or anything, but nonetheless scared the bejesus out of me. i dont believe it's happened more than once or twice, and the motor hasn't given out yet (only 10K miles) so i guess no harm no foul. Also, i believe i saw a hint of blue smoke as well right after i heard the comotion- did you have the same?
Old 03-29-2005, 08:08 AM
dchi_t

well i have gutted cats that produce x5 more smoke than usual, however i did run to the back to look at the smoke that was coming out, it was uncommoningly heavier than normal cold starts, but it was at night when i expeierenced this so i couldnt really see if there was any blue smoke...i sure hope not. i have around 22k on my motor. blue smoke is really bad...but now my car is running normal w/ the exception of the slight sound of some air leak from my plenum which i will be looking at this weekend. but yea, all in all, car runs fine like normal.