Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Pop out your door ding??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 12:19 PM
sschmuve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pop out your door ding??

Is it possible for me to fix my door myself by removing the inner door panel, and lightly hammer away at the dent from the inside? I really dont want to pay $75-$125 for something that happens 3 times a year.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:08 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

It is possible, but I wouldn't recommend it. If the ding is small enough, you could buy one of those DIY ding remover kits. One of the board members got one, said it was OK or something to that effect.

Or you could learn the trade so that you could NOT ONLY remove your own dents, but you could maybe earn a few bucks on the side as well...
Old 04-02-2005, 06:43 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't try it on a car I wanted to be seen in! I did have an umbrella drop onto my Honda's fender rendering a nice big dent in it. I dropped the fender well interior and rapped it with a brass hammer until it looked better.

When I bought my Z three weeks ago it came with two dents - one on each door - from the dealer. He promised me, and delivered that they would both be gone. He's got a guy that comes in on Fridays to pull dents from the new and used cars he's taken in on trade-ins. He told me that if I managed to get any more dents to give him a call and he'll pull them any Friday.

Of course I park on the last spot in any lot I park it and always have, even being disabled. I'd rather limp my way through the lot than suffer a dent, even on my old Honda. I'd kill someone if they dented my Z.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:16 PM
dannichols

Be careful. I just had one taken out last week by a PDR pro. Before he arrived I tried to investigate the damage myself by removing the innder door panel (including the 4 screws which hold up the elect window and motor). Some dents on the lower panel you will not be able to get out..nor will a PDR guy. The bottom edge of the door up to about 7 inches is covered by a heavy duty dampener, like Dynamat but a lot thicker and this stuff is like cement and very difficult to remove. In the middle of the door is a 1" steel tube for crash protection running the entire length of the door. If your ding is too high or too low on the bottom door forget it.

Anyway, Removing the inner panel turned out to be a total waste of time because the PDR guy made me put it back on before he would work. They need leverage and they work from the front whle observing the work. It is much easier for them to slide the toold down the window crack.

I had a pretty deep ding that had produced a slight vertical crease. I would say it came out about 98%. On most days you can't see where it was, but with a keen eye and the right light I can still see remnants. I would say it is good enough that no one else will know though.

Only problem I have (which is why I warn you) is getting the window alligned correctly again. If not you will have swind noise or water intrusion.

in all I would say DO not try to fix this yourself. Either leave it alone or wait till you get more then have a PDR guy remove them all in one shot. Watch where you are parking too. Trying to fix it will most likely make it look worse and be more difficult for a PDR to repair.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:21 PM
bixby

Do a group buy for your area. We did it out here and only paid 20.00 per dent. Surely someone out there can find a guy to do it for you for x number of members.